All-time Classic Songs

Ping

bill haleys rock around the clock ,where it all started.......also howard jones who changed the face of music with his electric sound

it started long before that. northern whites came to it very late.

thats allright mama was done by arthur crudupandmamathornton in the 40's and any roadhouse in the south has jumpmusicyrears beforethe white kidsheardthe music

AMERICAN PIE by Don Mclean

Initially inspired by his memories of the death of Buddy Holly in 1959, ‘American Pie’ is autobiographical and presents an abstract story of Don McLean’s life from the mid 1950s until when he wrote the song in the late 1960s. It is almost entirely symbolised by the evolution of popular music over these years and represents a change from the lightness of the 1950s to the darkness of the late 1960s. This is also very symbolic of changing America during this era. In Don’s life the transition from light (the innocence of childhood) to the darker realities of adulthood probably started with the death of Buddy Holly and culminated with the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963 and the start of a more difficult time for America. In this 4 year period, Don moved from a fairly idyllic childhood existence, through the shock and subsequent harsh realities of his father’s death in 1961, to his decision in 1963 to quit Villanova University to pursue his dream and become a professional singer. For 30 years the lyrics of American Pie have been subject to intense scrutiny as people search for the song's real meaning. Analysis continues today on the Internet and in newspapers and magazines worldwide. All interpretations start on the premise that Don McLean never talks about the song and has never provided insight into the meaning of the lyrics. In fact, Don McLean has spent 30 years doing little else but talk about American Pie!

AMERICAN PIE by Don Mclean

Initially inspired by his memories of the death of Buddy Holly in 1959, 'American Pie' is autobiographical and presents an abstract story of Don McLean's life from the mid 1950s until when he wrote the song in the late 1960s. It is almost entirely symbolised by the evolution of popular music over these years and represents a change from the lightness of the 1950s to the darkness of the late 1960s. This is also very symbolic of changing America during this era. In Don's life the transition from light (the innocence of childhood) to the darker realities of adulthood probably started with the death of Buddy Holly and culminated with the assassination of President Kennedy in 1963 and the start of a more difficult time for America. In this 4 year period, Don moved from a fairly idyllic childhood existence, through the shock and subsequent harsh realities of his father's death in 1961, to his decision in 1963 to quit Villanova University to pursue his dream and become a professional singer. For 30 years the lyrics of American Pie have been subject to intense scrutiny as people search for the song's real meaning. Analysis continues today on the Internet and in newspapers and magazines worldwide. All interpretations start on the premise that Don McLean never talks about the song and has never provided insight into the meaning of the lyrics. In fact, Don McLean has spent 30 years doing little elsehttp://www.understandingamericanpie.com/index.htm but talk about American Pie!

for complete analysis::

http://www.understandingamericanpie.com/index.htm

Ok I’m up for it, Defy anyone to remember any of these. :D

First record I bought was a 78 vinyl of Alma Cogan forgot what year. We had one of those windup gramaphone players with the big trumpet. Propably be worth a small fortune now.

My most favorite songs apart from more recent ones are:-

Only Sixteen - Craig Douglas Only_Sixteen___Craig_Douglas.mp3

Baby don’t go - Sonny & Cher Baby_Please_Don_t_Go___Sonny___Cher.mp3

Lots more but can’t mention them all.

Nostalgic Daffy.

:o

Ok I’m up for it, Defy anyone to remember any of these. :D

First record I bought was a 78 vinyl of Alma Cogan forgot what year. We had one of those windup gramaphone players with the big trumpet. Propably be worth a small fortune now.

My most favorite songs apart from more recent ones are:-

Only Sixteen - Craig Douglas Only_Sixteen___Craig_Douglas.mp3

Baby don’t go - Sonny & Cher Baby_Please_Don_t_Go___Sonny___Cher.mp3

Lots more but can’t mention them all.

Nostalgic Daffy.

:o

DD

I remember them both also Alma Cogan on the Billy Cotton band show, Sunday afternoons on the Light Program.

I also remember "borrowing" my Mums transistor radio and going down to Poole Park on Sunday afternoons to hang around with my mates listening to Top of the Pops with Alan Freeman.

The days of innocent enjoyment.

“build766”

I remember them both also Alma Cogan on the Billy Cotton band show, Sunday afternoons on the Light Program.

I also remember "borrowing" my Mums transistor radio and going down to Poole Park on Sunday afternoons to hang around with my mates listening to Top of the Pops with Alan Freeman.

The days of innocent enjoyment.

Yeup I remember all that, as you say the days of innocent fun. I forget the time line now but did they have transistor radios (trannies) in those days?

I remember my mum taking me to buy a portable radio and the salesman showed us the new transistor radio which was smaller and lighter but more expensive but the batteries would last longer than a few hours as with the traditional valve sets. My mum was not impressed with this new fangled stuff so I ended up with a portable radio the size of a cement block. Poor mum she never did get on with the 20th Cenury.

Radio Luxemburg at night and then the start of it all with Radio Caroline. :D

Daffy. :o

Shame about the other 10% :o

I should add for consideration: Vera Lynn - We'll Meet Again.

Funnily enough, I don't particularly like the song, but it is so evocative of those hard years of war and the camaraderie that developed between those heroic fighting men. It is a song that is almost universally known by older people and is a classic in the context of the power of its imagery.

bill haleys rock around the clock ,where it all started.......also howard jones who changed the face of music with his electric sound

I was in London when Bill Haley and company sent the world rocki' 'n rollin'.

Any body remember the BBC show, Sat nites, "The 6-05 Special.", it was great.

It would be a classic my eyes for a singular song.

My classics are the shows, Oaklahoma, Sth Pacific, Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music........ all those OLD shows.

Classics, like cars, 30 years old, woteva.

I remember 6.05 Special.Don Lang sang the signature tune and Pete Murray(all suited and booted like a sales rep.)fronted the show.All time favourite song that comes to mind is Legend of a Mind by the Moody Blues.

Wish U where here - Pink Floyd

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zeppelin

Rock me like a Hurricane - Scorpions

Like a Rolling Stone - Bob Dylan

Earth Song - Michael Jackson

I got you babe - Sonny & Cher

Sounds of Silence - Simon & Garfunkel

Rock around the Clock - Bill Haley & the Comets

Sitting on the Dock of the Bay - Otis Redding

Eight Miles High - Golden Earrings

American Anthem - Jimi Hendrix & The Experience @ Woodstock

....but then there are at least another hundred of the "Best", however it depends on the criteria a song is juried to be "the Best".... I guess.

Edited by Samuian

Best Ockor classic.......

Click go the Shears.

Dunno if it was Banjo's, but love it.

Best party classic, has to be......

The Quartermaster's Store.

......... make up words as ya go to suit the ocassion/circumstances.

The Rose, Bette Midler version. IMHO nothing can beat that, absolutely brilliant and genuinely timeless. Closely followed though by Fields of Gold, either Sting or Eva Cassidy versions, both equally marvellous in different ways. Second runner up, as they say, would be Memory. Of the hundreds of different versions I would say that Elaine Paige's was the best.

A somewhat different choice to most of the other candidates in this thread but then I am really just an old softie at heart. :o

A day in the life.. The Beatles..

I read the news today oh, boy

About a lucky man who made the grade

And though the news was rather sad

Well, i just had to laugh

I saw the photograph

He blew his mind out in a car

He didn't notice that the lights had changed

A crowd of people stood and stared

They'd seen his face before

Nobody was really sure if he was from the house of lords

I saw a film today oh, boy

The english army had just won the war

A crowd of people turned away

But i just had to look

Having read the book

I love to turn you on.

Woke up, got out of bed

Dragged a comb across my head

Found my way downstairs and drank a cup

And looking up, i noticed i was late

Found my coat and grabbed my hat

Made the bus in seconds flat

Found my way upstairs and had a smoke

Somebody spoke and i went into a dream

Ah

I read the news today oh, boy

Four thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire

And though the holes were rather small

They had to count them all

Now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall

I'd love to turn you on

Edited by Austhaied

Eclipse.. Pink Floyd..

All that you touch

All that you see

All that you taste

All you feel.

All that you love

All that you hate

All you distrust

All you save.

All that you give

All that you deal

All that you buy,

Beg, borrow or steal.

All you create

All you destroy

All that you do

All that you say.

All that you eat

And everyone you meet

All that you slight

And everyone you fight.

All that is now

All that is gone

All thats to come

And everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon.

There is no dark side of the moon really. matter of fact its all dark.