All-time Classic Songs

Ping

What do you consider to be one of the greatest songs, old or new, that has stood or will stand the test of time - a classic. Only list one song per posting so that we can get a range of differing views and end-up with the definitive list of classics. Tell us a little about the song. I'll start:

Eric Clapton - Layla

The original version was performed by Clapton when he led a group called Derek & the Dominos back in the 60s. The original itself is a classic, but the more recent mellow version has probably overshadowed it. One song, twice a classic.

Heartbreak Hotel - Elvis Presley (one of the first great classics of rock 'n roll, which combines pop, jazz, country, and other genres, this is the record that launched Elvis in the public spotlight, along with his appearances on TV). After Heartbreak Hotel, rock and roll was here to stay. Supposedly written about a guy who had committed suicide.

But it's difficult because we all have different tastes and times and decades - but my vote is still Rosalita because it is a fun song but i could also go for loads of others including the beatles, van the man, led zep etc.

Very difficult question.... to choose one song out of thousands.

Good luck everyone, and of course Mossy and i will always lurve Simplicity by the Dubliners...

Edited by Patsycat

What do you consider to be one of the greatest songs, old or new, that has stood or will stand the test of time - a classic. Only list one song per posting so that we can get a range of differing views and end-up with the definitive list of classics. Tell us a little about the song. I'll start:

Eric Clapton - Layla

The original version was performed by Clapton when he led a group called Derek & the Dominos back in the 60s. The original itself is a classic, but the more recent mellow version has probably overshadowed it. One song, twice a classic.

Elvis , Suspicious minds, .Id rather go blind,Chicken Shack..

bill haleys rock around the clock ,where it all started.......also howard jones who changed the face of music with his electric sound

I was in London when Bill Haley and company sent the world rocki' 'n rollin'.

Any body remember the BBC show, Sat nites, "The 6-05 Special.", it was great.

It would be a classic my eyes for a singular song.

My classics are the shows, Oaklahoma, Sth Pacific, Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady, Sound of Music........ all those OLD shows.

Classics, like cars, 30 years old, woteva.

Hotel California - The Eagles

Never get tired of hearing it.

Dave

yeah ,, spot on Dave ,,,,, now l will have to go for "eagle rock" by daddy cool ,,

not forgetting some classics from "lightnin hopkins, muddy waters ,john mayal ,,, etc,etc

Eric Clapton - Layla

i believe derek and the dominoes began in the 70's I saw him in blind faith in late 69