JimmyTheMook

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems like it to me.

Often folks in Thailand with some cash would never been seen loaded up with a big gold chain or bracelet.

To me it means BUSY BG and best avoided, and when i see a farang dripping in it i cant help but think ,it wont be long before he is releived of it,. ill never forget i saw a brit looking dude walking down sio pattaya land with what looked like about 100 baht of chains around his neck, he was flanked by 2 other lads, !..i did wonder if it was that copy plated stuff :o ,.actually agin its not the gold but the type of wearer but over 2 baht in size is a show off, imo

got a mate that was "relieved" of the excess weight he had around his neck and wrists ,, all he did was heal and loaded up again ,,, can't really see the sense in it ,,, but too each his own

cheers

egg

My observation is that those with the least try the hardest to show they have more :D
A very good observation, in thailand its currency, and this is why the thai girls love it, .they love to show off to their friends and family that they have some wealth,.try giving some of our 9/14/18 k gold to a thai, it dosent get a warm reception at all :o tells you something,.

Ahhh the myth of Thai gold!

Yes there is some Thai gold about but not that much, a large amount of the gold sold in the MBK centre is Italian. What Thai gold there is isn't that pure either - if you've ever compare the colour of Thai gold to Lao gold you'd soon understand, a pale yellow compared to the deep rich yellow.

I see many Thais buying gold here in the Morning Market (before anyone ask how I know they are Thai . . . let just say they are normally wear certain colour T-shirts!). Thailand has just 1 gold mine, Laos has 3 or 4 and more being surveyed. Gold is one of Laos major natural resources.

In investment term I go for platinum over gold as been mentioned before Tiffanys is a fine shop (although they don't really do white gold) - purchased several platinum items from there for the wife previously. Very understated but incredibly beautiful, stronger than gold and not need replating ala white gold (which is plated with rhodium to give it the gleam it has for those that are unaware).

As for folks wearing the big, ugly, rediculous bangles they have . .. :o . . can't stand the stuff! That said many people in Lao buy gold to save money rather than put it in the bank they buy gold - which inreality is a wise move, regardless of how ugly it looks!

:D

Can't see why gold has to be singled out as low class. Some folks wear a gold chain, some drive a big fancy 4x4 or motorbike, some have a big fancy house, some have a flash yacht, some wear Armani suits and Gucci shoes. All of these things can be described as non-essential exhibitions of wealth and self perceived class. If someone wants to parade around town with a kilo of gold dangling from his/her body what business is it of others? Who are any of us to sit in judgement over what is considered high or low class?

Amazing how some people just love to try and impose their standards on others. Live and let live.

l know that Thai's buy gold jewelry as an investment ,,, and if that is true ,, why dont they sell it now that gold is at a record price ,,,, the old saying ,, "buy in gloom and sell in boom" comes to mind

cheers

egg

Seems like it to me.

Often folks in Thailand with some cash would never been seen loaded up with a big gold chain or bracelet.

Could be said of any country.

How many people in UK have a flash car, expensive clothes, Gold chains, the most expensive Mobile phone etc, yet have no money in the bank and live in a right dump ? :o

In investment term I go for platinum over gold as been mentioned before Tiffanys is a fine shop (although they don't really do white gold)

:o

My wife's 2 peices from Tiffanys(weding ring and necklace) are both 18ct white gold w/diamonds, unsure of what the alloy metals are. I bought the ring , she bought the necklace herself.

Definitely not for investment purposes.

I agree that for investment purposes, platinum is the metal to go for.

I have now lived in 3 countries in Asia. And one thing that always strikes me, is way men wear fat goldrings with sparkling diamonds (probably glass fibre) in them. Seems quite feminine from my point of view.

Edited by DB84

Buy gold and wear it for fashion. Showing wealth has nought to do with it. :o

Sorry Brit, but Thai gold jewellery is a bit crass, style/quality wise.

Naka.

Get compliments especially in the West!!! So I'll continue to wear my chain and rings. :D

ok, all the farangs i have seen with a bunch of yellow gold and amulets definitely, without question, look very very... haha not going to let it out.

Ah the fashion police is at it again. I love it when they stick their head out and tell us what not to wear. Well, I have not brought out the Commandments of Living in Thailand for a while, and now I can add another one:

1. Thou shalt not wear flip flops in the public

2. Thou shalt not wear a yellow t-shirt

3. Thou shalt not consort with a member of the opposite sex, unless she has white skin and has a university degree (preferably a princess)

4. Thou shalt not hold hands in public with your loved one

5. Thou shalt not wear graven symbols or anything else of Thai origin on thy body

6. If thou are a member of Thai Whinging (sorry Thai Visa) thou shalt moan and complain and whinge about everything Thai

7. Thou shalt agree that Thai women are all gold diggers. Double true if she comes from Isaan, unless she has white skin and a university degree and/ or has royal blood.

8. Thou shalt not take thy Isaan girlfriend or wife shopping at the Emporium

9. Thou shalt not wear Thai gold!

Would the naysayers please just add to this list, and keep future whinging in this thread, so the rest of us may easily know what thread to look up and luagh at you... :D:o:D

Edited by Gimbo

that is actually pretty funny but you are wrong about the whingers. there are just as many amulet wearing, isaan trotting farang complaining about thailand. the farang population in general is a pretty unhappy bunch. that said, i dont see why people cant comment on your fashion. chances are that you comment on other people's fashion you just don't like it when they do it to you. that is just my experience in life. people are defensive and hate criticism and then take 'the higher road' until they see a black guy wearing his pants around his thighs with his underwear showing then they think he looks like a fool! regardless, good luck on those lotto ticket!

Ahhh the commandments, we had these in another thread a while back, I think thou shalt not be bald, nor overweight was amongst them oh tattoo's as well. We should be so grateful that we have these guidlines given to us by the almighty, rightous and all knowing :o

that is actually pretty funny but you are wrong about the whingers. there are just as many amulet wearing, isaan trotting farang complaining about thailand. the farang population in general is a pretty unhappy bunch. that said, i dont see why people cant comment on your fashion. chances are that you comment on other people's fashion you just don't like it when they do it to you. that is just my experience in life. people are defensive and hate criticism and then take 'the higher road' until they see a black guy wearing his pants around his thighs with his underwear showing then they think he looks like a fool! regardless, good luck on those lotto ticket!

These are excerps from an old saying in my country, I think them quite wise:

Fed and washed should one ride to counsil

though in garments none too new;

thou shalt not shame thee for shoes or breeks,

nor yet for a sorry steed.

As for life experience...I have lived enough strange places in this world to never mock people for the way they look or dress. That holds trough for rich and for poor.

The only people I comment on are those that do. :o

These are excerps from an old saying in my country, I think them quite wise:

Fed and washed should one ride to counsil

though in garments none too new;

thou shalt not shame thee for shoes or breeks,

nor yet for a sorry steed.

As for life experience...I have lived enough strange places in this world to never mock people for the way they look or dress. That holds trough for rich and for poor.

The only people I comment on are those that do. :D

Sounds like a scottish or irish Quote,(billy Connolly or Jimmy Cricket :D )mind you I tend to wear a Pakama by the pool at home in Ningi, had a few comments and complaints about that over the years,and that by australians who wear Ugg boots,ruggers and a string vest,we wont mention Poms with their woollen socks and sandals :D or elderly german ladies sunbathing topless with their wriggly tin skin, every one to their own :o Nignoy