Soi Dogs

DJ Pat

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Soi dogs are everywhere in thailand, you can't avoid the buggers. In my area they are quite respectable (this is a respectable area) and I can often be seen throwing the odd leg of grilled chicken at them when I'm in a good mood. So, if you reside in Bangkok or the outer hemispheres, I want you to let me know what your local pack are like.

dog03.jpg

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my physics is not that strong but isn't the 'outer hemisphere' a place outside of planet earth? is that is the case.. then i would ask how many extra-terrestrial beings are actually members of thaivisa (perhapd dr fat pong can run a quick check in IP locations?) & what do they hope to gain from such membership... apart from perhaps my warnings on the perils of becoming a transvestite english teacher in the LoS :o

coming from a less select part of town than djpat... i have to say that most of the soi dogs round my way fall into the category of being hairless, mean & aggressive... rather like davethailand in fact :D

i don't so much sacrifice the odd chicken leg to the pack leader in return for an unmolested walk to my front door as run he.ll for leather the full length of my soi & hope not to be caught be the ferocius beasts... and believe me.. it ain't always easy when one is wearing madame palmers underwear :D

When pootling home after a good night out I make a concerted effort to try and run them over. If they don't move I slowly decelerate and get as close as possible and try to mount thier nose with my front wheel. After a couple of these encounters, they now hear my bike and and run like buggery.

When pootling home after a good night out I make a concerted effort to try and run them over. If they don't move I slowly decelerate and get as close as possible and try to mount thier nose with my front wheel. After a couple of these encounters, they now hear my bike and and run like buggery.

That's neither humane or brave, these poor hounds have enough crap to put up with like "which bitch do I shag today" or " which car am I slumbering beneath today" rather than dodge the wheels of your motor hoping never to be a cripple like the poor f**ker on Sukhumvit soi 22 that's paralysed and crippled from the neck down but still doesn't get put down by the smiling sadistic locals....

I love dogs very much. The dogs of Thailand have a very rough life indeed. They're treated like s###, and there's no need to. It's amazing how they respond if you pet them and give them a little attention. They really can't believe it when someone shows them some love and attention. A lot of the dogs in the high traffic areas have severe black lung; sad indeed.

I voted for "there are no soi dogs in my neighborhood" 'cause we don't have any sois around my house :o We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

All my dogs are sterilized, vaccinated, fed and shampooed regularly. In fact, many a person has said if they die and are reincarnated they would like to come back as my dog. Lots of love, lots of space, good food, and your only job is to chase of the neighbors dratted chickens, who could ask for more?

We have beach dogs. But, to be fair, most of these dogs are owned and stick to their own territory. Since I have quite a few dogs myself (all rescues) we generally don't get any strays near our house.

Sounds like you live in a respectable area, beach dogs are still generalised as soi dogs though.

"You can measure a society on the way they treat their animals"

indian saying

Guess thailand doesn't score to highly on that topic.

"You can measure a society on the way they treat their animals"

indian saying

Guess thailand doesn't score to highly on that topic.

Didn't Mahatma Gandhi say that? He was Indian.

There was an article about 4 years ago about an English couple who had a dog follow them about near their hotel where they stayed in Bangkok. Anyway they took pity on it and decided to take it home.

If I remember rightly, the total quarantine for the creature was about 14 months.

One Tuk Tuk

A thousand quid in total inc. shipping, some relations of mine bought one for their restaurant in London.

The dogs on Thong Lor, Bangkok just lay around or root (not carnally) in whatever looks interesting. Never had a problem, even walking through the pack. Those in Taepei, Soi 4, Chang Mai used to have bust-ups with other dogs but no human was attacked.