Soi Dogs

DJ Pat

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I like dogs, not those horrible little fanny lickers that yelp all day, but real dogs, like Doberman Pincers.

What's a 'real dog', a purebred doberman? Does that mean that a mixed kid, leuk krueng is not real and we should run over them as well??

One of the posters above said that there's a soi dog in his street that is a doberman.

And I'm not saying that you should swerve head-on into a truck to avoid hitting a dog, but they do get out of the way pretty well if you show them some courtesy. Obviously this problem has a wider scope and these dogs need to be sterilised and removed from the streets. But maiming them does not help anyone.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When pootling home after a good night out I make a concerted effort to try and run them over. If they don't move I slowly decelerate and get as close as possible and try to mount thier nose with my front wheel. After a couple of these encounters, they now hear my bike and and run like buggery.

If you feel you must run over something, run over a backpacker instead.

Soi Dog Rescue is a wonderful organisation. I adopted a dog from them and she is a joy to our lives. These people are dedicating their time and their own money to help these animals, and it's really incredible what they have accomplished. My dog was the 50th dog they adopted out from the streets of BKK. Now THAT is something to brag about.

Good on ya!!

Safety, I've ran over 4 of the vermin with my motorbike without damage to the bike. So now I don't swerve or excessively brake when a dog runs out into my path but just keep a straight line and run over them. But when I'm carrying an  inexperienced passenger who instinctively flinches when a dog gives chase, the passenger can sometimes cause the bike to wobble, perhaps enough to clip an oncoming vehicle. An inexperienced rider may instinctively swerve or lock up the wheels when braking and could put himself into a life threatening situation.

I don't have an issue with dogs being kept as pets or for working, but stray dogs should be rounded up and destroyed.

Do you think it makes you cool or manly to brag about purposely injuring animals? These dogs suffer from the moment they are born. They are hungry, unloved, unwanted, plagued with diseases and other things that we can't even begin to imagine. Just simply doing nothing and letting a dog suffer is bad enough, but purposely inflicting injury upon it is sick and wrong. Imagine for just one second that you need help, that you are suffering, and then someone does something to you to make your life and situation even worse. I hope that you can change and find compassion for others, if not, and you are born into a suffering life, may others take pity upon you.

Soi Dog Rescue is a wonderful organisation. I adopted a dog from them and she is a joy to our lives. These people are dedicating their time and their own money to help these animals, and it's really incredible what they have accomplished. My dog was the 50th dog they adopted out from the streets of BKK. Now THAT is something to brag about.

Monkeygirl, I DO NOT go out to purposely injure or maim dogs or any other animal for that matter. If a dog runs into my path with little warning, I'm sorry, but the dog gets it. Sorry if I sound sadistic and heartless but that's the way it is. I WILL NOT put my life or that of my passenger in danger by swerving or excessively braking which can cause a bike to fall, just for the sake of a stray dog. If I can prevent hitting any animal then I'll will try and brake and avoid doing so.

I should have made it clear that the dogs that I've hit where not 'soi dogs' as such but dogs that roam freely out on the up-country roads. They gave me very little warning and appeared almost from nowhere. Avoiding hitting them was not really an option that I had.

If you've travelled around Thailand you'll have seen the amount of dead dogs littering the main busy roads. They are damned dangerous when you're riding at speeds of around 100 - 120 kph and they suddenly decide to run into the paths of traffic.

Soi dogs, or dogs in Bangkok, don't bother me as I ride slowly in urban areas and that gives me more time to take avoidance measures.

"They are hungry, unloved, unwanted, plagued with diseases and other things that we can't even begin to imagine."

You could say the same thing for rats but nobody batters an eyelid when they see exterminators killing them in the hundreds.

This is why dogs should be rounded-up and destroyed. Why let animals suffer unnecessarily?

Gazza

Gazza, next time you need to make your post a little clearer then. I think that to both monkeygirl and myself your post sounded like you deliberately ran down dogs that were in your path.

I've ran over 4 of the vermin with my motorbike without damage to the bike. So now I don't swerve or excessively brake when a dog runs out into my path but just keep a straight line and run over them.
Perhaps your second way of phrasing it would have come across less as a sadistic person who takes delight in hurting an animal.
They gave me very little warning and appeared almost from nowhere. Avoiding hitting them was not really an option that I had.

Hitting a dog with a motorbike very rarely kills the dog outright but causes tremendous pain, broken bones and eventually a slow, painful death, either from maggots infesting it's wounds or starvation because the dog can no longer fend for itself. Anyone who would deliberately cause this, and seem to get joy out of it, is most certainly, a sick person.

Gazza, next time you need to make your post a little clearer then. I think that to both monkeygirl and myself your post sounded like you deliberately ran down dogs that were in your path.

Thanks SBK, sometimes I know in my mind what I want to say but when I've typed it, it reads a little different but still somewhat sensible to me. (if that makes sense) :o

I've ran over 4 of the vermin with my motorbike without damage to the bike. So now I don't swerve or excessively brake when a dog runs out into my path but just keep a straight line and run over them.

Perhaps your second way of phrasing it would have come across less as a sadistic person who takes delight in hurting an animal.

They gave me very little warning and appeared almost from nowhere. Avoiding hitting them was not really an option that I had.
Hitting a dog with a motorbike very rarely kills the dog outright but causes tremendous pain, broken bones and eventually a slow, painful death, either from maggots infesting it's wounds or starvation because the dog can no longer fend for itself. Anyone who would deliberately cause this, and seem to get joy out of it, is most certainly, a sick person.

I didn't even start reading at the beginning of this thread, so only read Gazza's post in reflected comments. I don't even want to go to the beginning. Anyone that would run over a helpless animal is less of a living being than the animal they deliberately injured. I've seen motorbikes not even try to swerve out of the way when they could have done so easily.

I have met so many shy, harmless stray dogs, some that are in a real sorry state. Some are really heartbreaking, because they wander around alone with no attention and some would have obviously made really great pets under different circumstances.

I know in the West we put them under (we kill them with injections), and that is also really hard, but I don't understand why there isn't more of a campaign to sterilize pets or educate the public about acquiring pets irresponsibly and then throwing them out on the street.

When they wanted to clear up the streets for APEC they had no problem, so why can't they educate the public to be more responsible?

I have met so many shy, harmless stray dogs, some that are in a real sorry state. Some are really heartbreaking, because they wander around alone with no attention and some would have obviously made really great pets under different circumstances.

I know in the West we put them under (we kill them with injections), and that is also really hard, but I don't understand why there isn't more of a campaign to sterilize pets or educate the public about acquiring pets irresponsibly and then throwing them out on the street.

When they wanted to clear up the streets for APEC they had no problem, so why can't they educate the public to be more responsible?

This is the saddest part of Thailand I think. It's an epidemic for sure, that the government needs to start looking and working out a solution. For sure it is not the fault of the dogs, they are going to breed, and when they get hungry and abused, they can hurt humans, and certainly they are a traffic hazard.

In BKK, they do round them up and sterilise them but they do it in mass groups and throw them on top of one another while they are unconsious. they receive no medication to heal and many get infections and die. i had one of my dogs neutered and even with the pain medication i insisted the clinic give me, i know he was confused and hurt.

not only that, these dogs are not returned to the same spot where their 'territory' is, so their lives are once again upheaved if they had been receiving food at the place where they were picked up. it is very cruel and disgusting.

many thais also poison the dogs, a long suffering death. i think euthanising many of these dogs in a painless and quick manner would be a relief to their miserable lives but it is not the 'buddhist' way.

and it is terrible that it takes a group of farangs across the country at four non-profit organisations that i know of (ko tao, bkk, chiang mai, ko samui), to try and sterilise dogs and care for the ones that are hurt. they are fighting a difficult battle though, because there are very few adoptive homes in thailand. thais generally want those very small shit-zhus or chis, and they are massively overbred and sold in markets, also pretty cruelly. if you've been to one of these markets, you'll see lots of sick puppies, birth defects and more, and the parents are locked up somewhere breeding more than they should be bred. i've seen st bernards locked up in cages all day that were barely big enough to accommodate them and baby pugs with cataracts in both eyes.

but the scope of the problem is very wide, in a country that cannot afford to take care of people, how can they take away someone's livlihood or even begin to make a dent in the stray population? that is why it is so important for us, as residents thai or farang, to help out this country by supporting organisations that have taken the initiative to make things better here. Soi Dog Rescue has spay and neuter programs that are humane, but they have to work on small sections of the city at a time, and it will be a long time before they get all around. i think it's great that they have adopted out so many dogs, but most of them went to homes in the US or Europe, when there are how many people living in Thailand???

if we want to point fingers though, i think that we can not point them at the dogs, but rather at the government and others that do nothing. i'm not saying that everyone can take a dog, for sure, many people can't handle the responsibility and should not have a dog, but there are ways to help. every bit makes a difference.

"Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little." - Edmund Burke, 1729 - 1797 :o

Well said Monkeygirl. And for those of you generous minded souls who might like to help out those organizations that are making the effort to spay and neuter strays:

Koh Phangan animal care

Samui Dog Rescue

Phuket Animal Welfare Society

Bangkok Soi Dog Rescue

Soi Dog Foundation

Thailand SPCA

Most of these organizations would welcome both monetary donations or donations of your time. Think how much good it would do your karma :o

I voted no soi dogs as i live on a main road. But i used to live in Pinklao soi 41 and there was a quite a few dogs in this area. Never really had any probs with them. Though i have seen a dead dog that someone had obviously run over. Another time i saw this thai guy not toot his horn or slow down and just ran over this poor dogs leg that was chilling out in the middle of the road. The dog then let out a hurt yelp. it was the attacked by the other soi dogs. In the same are there was thsi older Thai guy and woman who used to feed them every day > I thought that was so cool.

Another time i saw this thai guy not toot his horn or slow down and just ran over this poor dogs leg that was chilling out in the middle of the road. .

F**king spineless git.

Yeah, some humans can be real sad bastards when it comes to animals. Saw these two Thai lads on a bike once driving along...dog was minding its own business by the roadside, then the driver of the bike lifted up his leg and kicked the dog in the jaw, flooring him. Could've killed the bastard! People like that should be rounded up and destroyed, not the poor dogs.

I couldn't hurt an animal...even had to get my brother to whack my Goldfish over the head with a brick when it was suffering.

I must admit,when i was in Los,A lot of people are nasty towards Animals,Throwing things at the Monkeys and this wasa Buddhist Monk,Thais with catapults because they were bored firing at the Soi dogs,they thought it was hilarious showing off in front of a Farang :o

Someone told me it's because it's an after life thing :D As someone said spineless.

We have a pack of dogs living in our Soi, wifey calls them 'super gang' in her cute english accent . They are not agressive (except with other dogs, our black Lab has had a few scaps with them when she bolts when opening the gate) but seem timid towards humans . The howling at midnight can be a pain in the arse but our dogs join in the chorus too . Maybe I am a sucker, but this time of year with the rain, we leave the cars parked on the Soi so the poor buggers have some shelter .

As for dog poop, funnily enough never see it . I think most dogs , if hungry enough, have no problems in eating crap :o

A few of my local dogs are shagging in full public view at the moment

Do Not LOOK at them doing that !!!! My wife tells me you will get an infected eye....

Well, I give them the stuff we don't eat at night. My Fridge is broken, so the soi dogs get a free feed. Although when I moved in they were viscoius, they have come around.

They are very territorial, and some of the fights that go on are spectactular, but while I keep feeding them they hand around my home, and well when strangers turn up the pack of Soi dogs give them many problems.

:o