Curry Hut Tikka Center - Indian Take Away In Jomtien

Cuban

....like the post title asks?

Is this a British Indian Food Place? I keep hearing that British Indian food is a rare thing outside Britian and people have been known to fly it from the UK to America etc.

Is the Chicken Tikka Masala true CTM or just Thai chicken with tomato soup & cream??

Go and try it yourself, then report back.

Or perhaps it is your business, or your friend's restaurant, and you are trying to generate trade.

I hear the Tikka Centre on Soi Buakhao opposite Soi Honey Inn is very good and yes I will go and try that one out. I use the Taj, Third Road, on a regular basis and that is perfect!

Go and try it yourself, then report back.

Or perhaps it is your business, or your friend's restaurant, and you are trying to generate trade.

I hear the Tikka Centre on Soi Buakhao opposite Soi Honey Inn is very good and yes I will go and try that one out. I use the Taj, Third Road, on a regular basis and that is perfect!

First two paragraphs rather grumpy arent they considering this appears to me to be a valid question. Manners maketh man - remember !!

I have eaten there. Can't speak to the British credentials, but ...

fish tandoori -- supposedly tandoori grilled, greasy, small portion, not spicy enough, didn't really taste grilled or authentic

nan - substandard, small, didn't have a real tandoori oven flavor, not crisp

rice - didn't even taste like basmati, glumpy, small portion, substandard

lamb vindaloo - average, mild spices even though asked for extra hot, came with potatoes which I do realize is standard vindaloo, however the menu said it had spinach, so I explicitly asked for confirmation of the spinach as I love spinach, no spinach was served, and the dish was not good enough for a repeat order, still waiting for the spinach

dal - really good, I love their dal

Prices, cheap for Pattaya.

Edited by Jingthing

JingThing,

you know I have supported you always in your taxi quest, but this last post just makes you sound 'keeniow'.

Portions too small 3 times, but then prices cheap?? Is this a good or bad review? BTW OP was asking about 'English style Indian', are you qualified to discuss such matters as a non-Englishman? :o

JingThing,

you know I have supported you always in your taxi quest, but this last post just makes you sound 'keeniow'.

Portions too small 3 times, but then prices cheap?? Is this a good or bad review? BTW OP was asking about 'English style Indian', are you qualified to discuss such matters as a non-Englishman? :o

I am just telling it like it is. The dal portions are good, sorry I failed to mention that. I have eaten Indian food in London, and having balti there was quite memorable, but no not fully qualified. I do know what good Indian food is though. The US has large Indian populations too and they would never put up with the crap that Thai Indians tend to dish out. News flash, you don't have to be British to love Indian food and to be able to determine quality. We all know you colonized them, that is over, curry is for the world.

BTW, the Indians I used to know in California sometimes told me the Indian food was better in California than India.

Edited by Jingthing

sweetchariot - sorry no way can I agree with your statement re. the Raj :

as that is probably the worst 'Indian' I have tried in my life.

Not sure where you come from in the UK but IMHO the Raj has always had the best 'Indian' food in town - sorry.

PS  I have nothing to do with the Raj - just a personal view from a 'tubby' chap  :-)

I have eaten Indian food in London, and having balti there was quite memorable, but no not fully qualified. I do know what good Indian food is though. The US has large Indian populations too and they would never put up with the crap that Thai Indians tend to dish out. News flash, you don't have to be British to love Indian food and to be able to determine quality.

I'm very sorry but, if you have never had a Madras in Didsbury or a Balti in Birmingham, then no, you are not qualified to judge true British/Indian food.

I'm yet to find anything in Thailand that comes even remotely close....... if this place in Jomtien is reported as being good, I'll be there tomorrow, and it's a 400km drive for me, so the report had better be accurate :o

P.S. the Taj on Third Road is truly awful.

I have eaten Indian food in London, and having balti there was quite memorable, but no not fully qualified. I do know what good Indian food is though. The US has large Indian populations too and they would never put up with the crap that Thai Indians tend to dish out. News flash, you don't have to be British to love Indian food and to be able to determine quality.

I'm very sorry but, if you have never had a Madras in Didsbury or a Balti in Birmingham, then no, you are not qualified to judge true British/Indian food.

I'm yet to find anything in Thailand that comes even remotely close....... if this place in Jomtien is reported as being good, I'll be there tomorrow, and it's a 400km drive for me, so the report had better be accurate :D

I rate trhe Indian in the Rembrandt hotel,i think the food is top quality.In saying that though i agree that it is not as good as quality Indian food in the uk.Mind you compared to the Indian <deleted> we have to endure here in Vietnam count yourself lucky to have restauarants that cooks food that is reasonable here it is CRAP :o:D

I rate trhe Indian in the Rembrandt hotel,i think the food is top quality.In saying that though i agree that it is not as good as quality Indian food in the UK.

Mind you compared to the Indian <deleted> we have to endure here in Vietnam count yourself lucky to have restauarants that cooks food that is reasonable here it is CRAP :o:D

So you can get curried dog as well as boiled dog, fried dog, roast dog, minced dog and dog a la mode?

Good spicy curry, is it?

I'll probably be starting work in VN again within weeks - so looking forward to ...... dog.

I'm yet to find anything in Thailand that comes even remotely close....... if this place in Jomtien is reported as being good, I'll be there tomorrow, and it's a 400km drive for me, so the report had better be accurate :o

I guarantee you will be underwhelmed by the Jomtien place if you know great Indian food. I don't care if you are from Birmingham, Bombay, or Mars, mediocre is medicocre. BTW, among the chutneys they include is TOMATO KETCHUP, so unless that is what you are used to having as good Indian food in Britain, I think you need to keep looking.

Signed, a Yank who understands good Indian food

Edited by Jingthing

Mind you compared to the Indian <deleted> we have to endure here in Vietnam count yourself lucky to have restauarants that cooks food that is reasonable here it is CRAP :o:D

The best Indian food I've ever had was in a small hotel lobby looking place above Hoan Kim Lake in Hanoi. :D

I haven't been there in awhile, but I would agree Ahaar is way superior to the Jomtien Hut, though nothing exceptional.

So sorry, I don't have the name, but this is the best Indian I have had in Pattaya so far:

The new Indian place right across the street from the under construction mega mall (and the new View Talay,not the finished Avenue Mall) on 2nd Road is excellent! Really really good and excellent prices. It is all SOUTH INDIAN food though, not British style Indian. It is a few doors north of the also new Paradis Iranian restaurant (also good).

Edited by Jingthing

Having Sampled the delights of many an indian restaurant and hailing from the west midlands I would say that Ahaar is great but not somewhere to go if you like great decor. Indian By nature, fantastic great food, bit pricy but great food. Ali Baba still up there with the better restaurants here. I haven't tried any of these new ones but I will and give an oppinion.

We just tried Indian by Nature in South Pattaya on Thursday. I was being driven there so not sure of the address but their phone number is 038-364656 if anyone is interested. They have been going for nearly 4 years and it's nice, fairly traditional decor - though not flock wallpaper thank goodness! Excellent service by Indian staff, couldn't fault it, but the food, whilst reasonable and perfectly edible with good portions, was not up with the best of the 'British' Indian Restaurants. Bit pricey but good place to go if you want to impress a non Brit. My Thai friends were certainly very impressed!

Although slightly off topic, just to say that if anyone is in Penang one of these days, I can absolutely recommend the Passage thru' India resturant. Now, that was one memorable meal that I had, quite possibly the best Indian meal that I have ever eaten in my life, and I have had many, many, Indian meals in the UK and elsewhere. Full of depth and flavour and everything freshly cooked. It is in the heart of Georgetown at 11-a Leith Street and has been voted one of the top ten resturants in Malaysia. No, I haven't any connection with the restaurant - I'm just a satisfied customer, very satisfied.

:o

I'll probably get crucified by gourmet Indian Food lovers, but the Indian menu at Mulligans at the corner of Mabprachan Lake isn't half bad.

It's pretty basic, just chicken in a choice of curries - Korma, Misala, Madras, Vindaloo etc, with pilau rice, popadoms and chutney, but it is freshly cooked and it certainly fills a hole.

It's also very spicy. :o

Just thinking again about Indian by Nature. Their website has been broken for years, there is no-one in the restaurant, they won't deliver, even to View Talay on their doorstep and they are not in Door 2 Door. Maybe it has another income stream supporting the business.

Just thinking again about Indian by Nature. Their website has been broken for years, there is no-one in the restaurant, they won't deliver, even to View Talay on their doorstep and they are not in Door 2 Door. Maybe it has another income stream supporting the business.
Funny that, i was thinking the same about a lot of indian run businesses, they seem to be asleep outside a rag shop and when they do wake shoot off somewhere in a new mercedes ! :o

Funny that, i was thinking the same about a lot of indian run businesses, they seem to be asleep outside a rag shop and when they do wake shoot off somewhere in a new mercedes ! :o

Went to visit the palatial home of a well known Pattaya Indian Tailor a few years back

The garage was filled with heaps on heaps of suitcases with Honk Kong baggage labels with their linings cut open.

Shan't mention names but his restaurant business has some connection to "the forty thieves"

Makes you wonder don't it

Hut is good name for it, i drove past it today, it looks like a derelict beach hut from skegness with a few windows in it , jeez, what a tip, no thanks ! :o

I don't care if it looks like a garbage can, but I do care when I get served samosas that taste as if the shells were made with pork larded pie shells, with a damnable tomato ketchup chutney. If that is British style Indian, you can keep it, mate.

Edited by Jingthing