Random Thoughts

back in Lamai after 6 months away.

more and more concrete,

"If we build, they will come" must be the credo.

I wonder if this island does have a limit to growth?

especially if the infrastructure cannot handle the growth, which is now really.

about 20+ new bars have been built by our humble landlord here,

there seems to be less bar-going tourists,

logic must be, we own the land already, its cheap to build, and we will always find more stupid farangs who will rent them?

maybe they are right.

same same same, nothing changes really.

2. boss of driving range slips envelope into policeman's hand.

why would they shake down a driving range?

can't see any reason, yes i know you don't need one.

two long-term guys had their girls do them over, not news, but these are guys who should know better.

do they get lulled into soporific state and lose reason?

all people who fix things are still unbelievably incompetant.

who cares.

6. why has the complete tosser count went up 10-fold in lamai/chaweng recently?

seriously, anyone else noticed?

can't quite put my finger on it but I did a lot of head-shaking in disbelief on my most recent visit.

Answer: Russians

tbh, it's a whole range of nationalities - it doesn't matter if they're french, russian, scando, british, dutch or whatever, samui seems to be a magnet for ar5eholes at the moment.

from young scummy sex tourists prowling for a. their next screw or b. their next fight to old scummy sex tourists propositioning girls young enough to be their great grand-daughter. :o

the quality of samui clientele has definitely taken a nose-dive.

"Done over" how?

Sit somewhere overlooking the beach road in Lamai from 7pm to 9pm and tell me what you see.

I see well dressed tourists, clearly not backpacking dross, enjoying the evening.

Could those who see dipshite ssholes please take pictures of these folks and post them. I'm curious to see what they look like, or do you interview all of them to glean this information? If so, please post the transcripts of your interviews.

ho ho

i got one next to me now,

english bovver boy type,

often shirtless, always drunk, rented very loud Harley,

2 guys fronted him last night to shut it a bit,

wandering between 2 bars being a total pain.

but not that many really i think.

aside:

a classic excuse from the gay bungalow manager when i was moving in,

the bathroom fluorescant was very slow to start,

please fix, it needs a new starter i reckon,

he say:

it's slow because other bungalows are using the electricity also.

Q.but have mattress but no have bed?

A. can sleep japan style, OK, very good!!

only got fixed coz i witheld 1000 baht until fixed.

aside:

Mick should know better after his wife (thai) pinched 200K baht from his bank while he was in hospital,

then after that she steals his car's green book, changes name to her name (dunno how) and takes a loan against the car,

first Mick knows is when the guys arrive to re-possess the car.

goodbye car. she did drop by to attack him with a meat cleaver though.

Steve's girl (5 years) just left, no blame there, and no losses. Could be back sometime.

Ken's wife went home to Isaan and never came back, he was planning to sell his house and move to quiet life up there.

Darcy was totally distraught coz his girl left him ( a replacement was in place when i arrived), probably som nom na.

Dave and Andy, two self-confessed bar owning alcoholics, went home to work and sober up.

never a dull moment really, but almost utterly pointless.

have a credo now for being in Thailand.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others what they do to you)

ho ho

english bovver boy type,

aside:

he say:

aside:

Mick should know better after his wife (thai) pinched 200K baht from his bank while he was in hospital,

then after that she steals his car's green book, changes name to her name (dunno how) and takes a loan against the car,

Steve's girl (5 years) just left, no blame there, and no losses. Could be back sometime.

Ken's wife went home to Isaan and never came back, he was planning to sell his house and move to quiet life up there.

Darcy was totally distraught coz his girl left him ( a replacement was in place when i arrived), probably som nom na.

Dave and Andy, two self-confessed bar owning alcoholics, went home to work and sober up.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others what they do to you)

"credo now for being in Thailand.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others what they do to you)"

I vote THAT the quote of the day...year....but with a minor change:

credo now for being in Thailand.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others BEFORE they do it to you) :o

I was in Lamai over christmas and well into the New Year. I often sit at bars and people watch late afternoon and night. My observations were varied, there is clearly a varied bunch in town. I did notice several times groups of lads(no more than 5 in a group) try the we can do anything mentality (clearly they were unaware if they tried anything with the thais it would be game over for them) it was sad to see and embarrasing when a few of the groups were english.

I feel the majority sex tourists just dont get it. Parading their hookers around in public is really poor form. The thais may well tolerate it but don't like it for sure. Thais have their own establishments to go to which are discrete. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather they went direct from beer bar to hotel and back to beer bar. I guess the layout of the beer bars doesn't really allow this though, they seem to be all over the place. Even bars I thought wern't beer bars turned out to be offering girls, i guess i'm a bit naive to this.

I did find Indian men very amusing, by day they were with their wifes and kids by night they got a free pass and spent it at the beer bars like excited kids in a candy shop.

There was a difference to drinking at night on the beach rather than the beach road, i met many people who were good for a laugh. On the beach road bars I talked to many people the majority of which did not seem to have any social skills whatsoever, probably why they were single and looking for paid sex. I dont buy the girls back home are a pain in the arse as thai girls are just as bad, same same...Russians are an enigma to me, i guess they just have a different idea of social etiquette to me but they are incredibly loud and obnoxious, i saw one screaming at a taxi driver in russian, (probably got overcharged to be fair as they are robbing gits those taxi drivers) did he really think the driver would know Russian. Another was taking over a whole bar with his dancing even though the music wasn't turned up, and what's the obsession with the eagles?

The one way system tickled me.

The shitty weather wasn't expected.

The amount of walking wounded after motorcylce accidents was as bad as i've seen in any country/resort i've travelled to.

Lot of brits and a few dutch seem to own a lot of bars I went in. I think may were just using the bar to feed their chronic alcoholism but I gleaned some good stuff from them about the island and Lamai and they were a friendly bunch of people who look out for each other.

There were also quite a few who just stay on samui until a new work contract begins which seemed a pretty good way to live to me.

Overall I enjoyed the stay a lot and and will return for more diving on tao.

I would guess it would be quieter at the end of April beginning of May when I'm next there?

"Done over" how?

Sit somewhere overlooking the beach road in Lamai from 7pm to 9pm and tell me what you see.

I see well dressed tourists, clearly not backpacking dross, enjoying the evening.

Could those who see dipshite ssholes please take pictures of these folks and post them. I'm curious to see what they look like, or do you interview all of them to glean this information? If so, please post the transcripts of your interviews.

• 6 months later...
ho ho

english bovver boy type,

aside:

he say:

aside:

Don't worry, Be happy,

"credo now for being in Thailand.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others what they do to you)"

I vote THAT the quote of the day...year....but with a minor change:

credo now for being in Thailand.

Don't worry, Be happy,

(and cover your ass, trust noone, get what you can, do unto others BEFORE they do it to you) :o

Wicked! When are you getting the t shirts made!! Sign me up! Lol)