Platinum Motorcycle

prasatrandy

Has anyone ever bought one of those Chinese Platinum motorcycles? If so are the any good?

Was given two nearly new ones to sell for a friend who was leaving. At less than a year old they had deteriorated to the condition of a 15 year old jap bike. The chopper, a 250, was an absolute gutless piece of <deleted>. The trail bike only marginaly better. Both banged and rattled so much you wondered if you would get to the end of the soi! The list of things to watch out for and that had been fixed went to two pages for each bike!

Much better to buy a good second hand Honda, Yamaha etc.

Was given two nearly new ones to sell for a friend who was leaving.

So how did that go??? Did you try hard?

The platinum bikes are OK enough in the sense that they do give you a long warranty and they are dirt cheap....

If you plan to spend money on them do NOT expect great things, I know several people that has bought one and they would all agree that they can be good and most likely they will be bad...

I would not touch a platinum bike, but if you like the looks and can fix things yourself ... GO ahead make your workshop bigger...

China is not known for there reliable motors & the bearings compared to any other country besides Russia are far inferior.

if it were a good deal you would see the Japanese line of bikes(including the ones "made in Thailand" selling at a super discount price.When something seems to good to be true IT IS!

If you don't mind collecting the parts that fall off burn out or are a fanatic on getting exercise by walking your bike Go for it. & It seems since they came out. The warranty is tough to cash in if the dealerships close to quick.

I have either Japanese bike or Japanese Made in Thailand bikes since 2004. All I have ever needed was 2 intertube replacements & 1 tire due to wearing it out.

You get what what you pay for. The bikes out here are so cheap I would consider going home to make some more scratch if cash is the reason your getting it! Or if you have a terminator kind of left hand to pull the clutch in - I would rather go workout at the gym. Does the AGONY OF DEFEAT APPEAL TO YOU? http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...num+motorcycles

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...amp;hl=Platinum

Here is a couple of fun links regarding your decision

Whatever you decide on.

Not to popular on expats ratings.

China is not known for there reliable motors & the bearings compared to any other country besides Russia are far inferior.

This is a sentiment I would entirely agree with.

However, those Bavariand wundekinder have decided otherwise by ditching Rotax and having their new G series of bike engines made in China.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sour...%3fOpenDocument

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309952

This is a sentiment I would entirely agree with.

However, those Bavariand wundekinder have decided otherwise by ditching Rotax and having their new G series of bike engines made in China.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sour...%3fOpenDocument

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309952

Looks like to me BMW is having economic issues & IS TRYING TO SAVE A BUCK. After they figure out how poor this decision is(unless they are willing to ship Euro bearings & all the other parts send a staff of qualified techs & make sure the workers are not smokin opium drinking on the job & payin attn to detail. I Personally think this is a bad laps of judgment as even Japan uses Thailand to build their Honda Phantoms & Kawasaki bosses. Even though they could cut a dime on the deal by farming out to China. I am sure Japan has figured out that Expats from around the world for the most part do not care for Chinese made engines -motorcycles-gears- bearings. the Japanese are pretty sharp & spend tons on research & development before jumping into rash decisions. IMO BMW is under financial strain & it will be worsening if the bikes are made with inferior parts & partially skilled labor. Does not personally affect me I am a quick rev kinda driver & drive Jap. bikes here & the U.S. I find the beemers a bit to clunky Although it looks nice. Till someone can one up Japan thats what i will be driving as they do pay attention to detail & what their customers want......Customer Satisfaction!

You get what you pay for. Now if your buying a shovel for your garden(it is a throw away item anyway) Go for it!

And they will save a ton by ditching rotax. I noticed on the bikers forum link no one else seemed to jacked up on the idea of China taking over Rotax,but these seem to be predominantly informed motocrossers that would not be caught dead on a bike made in China. Way more fun when the bike runs!

Edited by Beardog

And yet one more reason to Purchase a bike other than one made in China .....posted today

Im putting this 250cc platinum monaco,in at a cheaper price,because of lack of contact,its a lovely ride never had a problem with it,im leaving in two weeks,so any one intersted,you will have to act now,only 6000km,first to see will buy

You will not see this at the shops selling Honda Kawasaki Suzuki or Yamaha

In response to Thanh-bkk's closed thread, I haven't owned one of these Platinum bikes but the guy next door to me has one. I don't need to own one to see how poorly they are thrown together, I just look at his, & all the hassle he's had with his. My first thoughts were perhaps he's unlucky & got a 'Friday afternoon' bike, but reading several threads about the same subject I suspect they're all very similar.

I agree with you though, they don't want to be Harley's, BMW's etc but just people movers. If the person is happy with what they buy then great, they realise just what they are getting for their money.

People please; Platinum motorcycles are okay, especially if you compare it to what they cost. And belief me, I would prefer a 250cc, 2-cylinder Platinum Monacco over a Honda Phantom.

I seen Honda Phantom’s also with service problems, it all stands or falls with the dealer. If the dealer doesn’t check the bolts and screws it is with a Honda Phantom as bad as we hear from the Platinum bikes. And yes, some early Platinum bikes had problems, even Platinum is saying that, so why we keep repeating this over and over…starts to get boring…

Now I think about it, I surely would prefer a Monacco 250 over a Phantom knowing how much plastic is on a Phantom and still is a dumb weight with the road handling of an old granny and the speed of a turtle.

People please; Platinum motorcycles are okay, especially if you compare it to what they cost. And belief me, I would prefer a 250cc, 2-cylinder Platinum Monacco over a Honda Phantom.

I seen Honda Phantom’s also with service problems, it all stands or falls with the dealer. If the dealer doesn’t check the bolts and screws it is with a Honda Phantom as bad as we hear from the Platinum bikes. And yes, some early Platinum bikes had problems, even Platinum is saying that, so why we keep repeating this over and over…starts to get boring…

Now I think about it, I surely would prefer a Monacco 250 over a Phantom knowing how much plastic is on a Phantom and still is a dumb weight with the road handling of an old granny and the speed of a turtle.

Richard I went to Pattaya carefoure about 5 months ago or so . they had about 11 bikes on display out of the 11 only one had somewhat the right tension for the clutch handle t. The others were greaet if you were Arnold Scwartzanager 30 years ago. I would agree that the Phantom has some tinny parts but lets call a spade a spade. Why have a bike knowing it has so many issues, seems like if cash is the issue I would rather go back home & work to buy a bike that will last.

If it isn't the cash(& Please do not take offense, as I am not flaming you or bashing your character at all)

I just don't understand why you would feel you are not worth more than cheap. The vehicle you cruise is a definite extension of how you perceive yourself.

I would rather have the bottom of the top instead of the top of the bottom anyday, cause after you polish a turd it can only be a good looking turd.

At least with the other bikes(excluding JRD same shit different day) your driving not walking & wondering why was I such a ......

Ever have a older VW.

Hotter than hel_l in the summer & colder than a witches tit in the winter. I worked on them for 4 years. they are the mechanics revenge cause they always know their way back to the shop. Made for the masses - not expensive. My Cadillac cost 1/8 to repair along with the cost of gas & not only did it look sweet,but it had every known option ever made. It was a step up & taught me at an early age, it is not worth treating myself as a refugee when I can have luxury.

I don't care if you buy 3 of the Monacos & 2 Jrd's but you got to wonder even the mods hate this line of crap. Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.

Richard I went to Pattaya carefoure about 5 months ago or so . they had about 11 bikes on display out of the 11 only one had somewhat the right tension for the clutch handle t. The others were greaet if you were Arnold Scwartzanager 30 years ago. I would agree that the Phantom has some tinny parts but lets call a spade a spade. Why have a bike knowing it has so many issues, seems like if cash is the issue I would rather go back home & work to buy a bike that will last. Sure I agree the Phantom is a little slow off the line & the gears are not the best& the Chrome plated plastic isn't super dooper I have a new Kawasaki boss that is quicker & the parts I think are better & for the extra 20-30,000 baht you have a good bike without a bad reputation that proceeds itself. the honda or kawasaki is a slam dunk to sell & you get a good return back quickly. Think about it you put it in carreforre for sale , every farang has heard all the horror stories about the Chinese bikes already. or You put an ad in TV- how easy of a sell is this going to be. A honda or Kawi sold quick or a wah wah about the Platinum. Why would all the expats be warning other expats about the bikes if they were worthy? Don't you drive a nice Honda 150?

Why would you step down instead of going at least as good? You seem knowledgeable about bikes from your posts.

If it isn't the cash(& Please do not take offense, as I am not flaming you or bashing your character at all)

I just don't understand why you would feel you are not worth more than cheap. The vehicle you cruise is a definite extension of how you perceive yourself.

I would rather have the bottom of the top instead of the top of the bottom anyday, cause after you polish a turd it can only be a good looking turd.

At least with the other bikes(excluding JRD same shit different day) your driving not walking & wondering why was I such a ......

Ever have a older VW.

Hotter than hel_l in the summer & colder than a witches tit in the winter. I worked on them for 4 years. they are the mechanics revenge cause they always know their way back to the shop. Made for the masses - not expensive. My Cadillac cost 1/8 to repair along with the cost of gas & not only did it look sweet,but it had every known option ever made. It was a step up & taught me at an early age, it is not worth treating myself as a refugee when I can have luxury.

I don't care if you buy 3 of the Monacos & 2 Jrd's but you got to wonder even the mods hate this line of crap. Things that make you go HMMMMMMM.

@Beardog,

In daily live I not drive a Honda 150cc, I have a somewhat bigger Italian bike. Matter of fact I have a whole selections of bikes to chose from. But that is not really the topic we discussing.

I have looked closely to the workings of a Platinum Monacco 250cc, a machine delivered to the Bangkok City Administration and I could not find anything I would consider bad. And therefore in my opinion there is nothing wrong with current Platinum bikes.

And I like the Kawasaki Boss also, it will probably soon be replaced by a modern 200cc version

@Beardog,

In daily live I not drive a Honda 150cc, I have a somewhat bigger Italian bike. Matter of fact I have a whole selections of bikes to chose from. But that is not really the topic we discussing.

I have looked closely to the workings of a Platinum Monacco 250cc, a machine delivered to the Bangkok City Administration and I could not find anything I would consider bad. And therefore in my opinion there is nothing wrong with current Platinum bikes.

And I like the Kawasaki Boss also, it will probably soon be replaced by a modern 200cc version

My apologies, I thought you had a 150 cbr. A bigger Italian ride sounds way cooler! I have had a couple & enjoyed them immensely. A 200 boss would even be sweeter than a 175 or rejet the carbs or a slightly bigger carb would increase the speed- Although it really isn't necessary here to have a shredder of a bike. My Honda waves 125 waves I had did the job fine, till we got our dog & needed a little more room.