Computers, Internet And Telecom For Business In Chiang Mai

gnode

Hey All,

I'm looking into starting a business in Chiang Mai that would require a fast, hopefully reliable Internet connection, 2 or 3 computers on a local area network, and telephone service (with at least one, maybe two mobile phones).

- What providers and service packages would be the best deal for fast, reliable, unlimited use Internet in Chiang Mai?

- Do I also need a landline phone, or would having two mobile phones (one for me, one for my wife) be sufficient and most economical? What would be the best provider and service package to go with? [incidentally we already have two US based AT&T GSM phones - could we unlock them and buy SIM chips over there from a local provider?]

- Should I bring any needed computer equipment with me, or would it be easy to locate and buy the systems I need over there? Would I need to purchase power converters or do switching power supplies work correctly over there [i.e. power supplies with the 115v/230v switch on the back]?

Thanks in advance.

- Do I also need a landline phone, or would having two mobile phones (one for me, one for my wife) be sufficient and most economical? What would be the best provider and service package to go with? [incidentally we already have two US based AT&T GSM phones - could we unlock them and buy SIM chips over there from a local provider?]

- Should I bring any needed computer equipment with me, or would it be easy to locate and buy the systems I need over there? Would I need to purchase power converters or do switching power supplies work correctly over there [i.e. power supplies with the 115v/230v switch on the back]?

Thanks in advance.

Some customers like a business to have a landline, so may be worth it. I bring an unlocked mobile with me and as soon as I land at BKK I put in my Thai SIM (which I have on a contract). Any calls to me from US/Europe are then VOIP (from a Skype number) to my Thai mobile number - it works and saves them and me $$. Elsewhere, I use international roaming.

Local power is 220V and would definately recommend UPS and power spike protection. Make sure you buy the best quality gang strips etc - there is some dangerous rubbish for sale. Personally I bring some gear with me, but there are also several computer plazas and shops in CM which stock most of what I need. You won't find a Fry's, but I have found the local version of Radio Shack/Maplin!

Re which is the best telco/ISP, then there are many threads and views on this - some recent.

Good luck

Edited by Contractor

Hey All,

I'm looking into starting a business in Chiang Mai that would require a fast, hopefully reliable Internet connection, 2 or 3 computers on a local area network, and telephone service (with at least one, maybe two mobile phones).

- What providers and service packages would be the best deal for fast, reliable, unlimited use Internet in Chiang Mai?

Thanks in advance.

I carry an unlocked GSM mobile back and forth between Thailand and the U.S. and have had no problems. If you have satisfied your contract with your current carrier, they should be willing to unlock your phones for you for free. Mobile service over here is Cheap, Cheap compared to the U.S. and they make American mobile service seem like something from the Dark Ages.

There have been many, many threads about dependable broadband on these forums and if you search, you should find enough to keep you busy reading for a couple of days. Basically, depending on your physical location in and around CM, you will either be pulling your hair out by the roots or pleasantly surprised. Higher-cost business quality broadband is available, fast and dependable if you are willing to pay the price.

As to a landline, we rarely ever use our's but our friends do because it is cheaper for them to call a landline from a landline as calling a mobile can be a bit expensive. And I think that at least 0.57% of the people in Thailand do not have a mobile. :o Also much of the reason I have a landline, and a local dialup provider, is no matter where you are or what you pay, your broadband will occasionally go down. When mine does, I switch to Internet Thailand dialup and, while grindingly slow, I am back online.

A UPS is certainly a good idea (he said, never having used one over here) and they are available but the big ones with lots of emergency battery power are very hard to find. Also, the great majority of modern computers will plug right in to either 110 or 220v with no transformer. Check out the sticker on the desktop power supply or laptop in-line transformer. About anything you could want as to components/systems, etc are available here but not as cheap as you would think. When I need a new laptop I pick one up on one of my trips back to the (un)real world.

Good luck!

Any calls to me from US/Europe are then VOIP (from a Skype number) to my Thai mobile number - it works and saves them and me $$. Elsewhere, I use international roaming.

How do you transfer your SkypeOut number to your thai cell? Or do you mean that the people that call you use Skype?

Any calls to me from US/Europe are then VOIP (from a Skype number) to my Thai mobile number - it works and saves them and me $$. Elsewhere, I use international roaming.

How do you transfer your SkypeOut number to your thai cell? Or do you mean that the people that call you use Skype?

Everywhere you have a customer base, you can purchase a local virtual number. This means, for example, that a client in London dials a local central London number for me. If I am not on line, the call is diverted to an office number and/or simultaneously to any other landline or mobile, but at SkypeOut rates.

Easy to set up in your Account settings on Skype.

Skype are not the only people to offer such a service of course

For faxes, my telco converts them to email, and I can collect them on a PC or Blackberry, wherever I am.

Edited by Contractor

[incidentally we already have two US based AT&T GSM phones - could we unlock them and buy SIM chips over there from a local provider?]

AT&T, from my research and first hand experience will flat out refuse to unlock your phone. IF you are a legacy Cingular customer and can call Cingular support, they will unlock for you without much hassle. Simply tell them you are traveling overseas and will be using a local SIM there. They will supply you with unlock code and instructions. However, dealing with AT&T is a whole other story. They will flat out refuse to do it and from what I have heard support reps do not even have access to unlock codes, so they couldn't do it evenif they wanted to.

There are several sites on the net that will provide you with the unlock codes for a fee, but I have always been leary of dealing with them anonymously over the internet. You would probably be better off going to MBK in BKK and paying somebody there to unlock for you.

-Mestizo

Everywhere you have a customer base, you can purchase a local virtual number. This means, for example, that a client in London dials a local central London number for me. If I am not on line, the call is diverted to an office number and/or simultaneously to any other landline or mobile, but at SkypeOut rates.

Easy to set up in your Account settings on Skype.

Skype are not the only people to offer such a service of course

For faxes, my telco converts them to email, and I can collect them on a PC or Blackberry, wherever I am.

Okey, I thought you could forward the call for free, but I got you :o Thanks.