Songtaew Scum

Tolley

Boarded a full songtaew with girlfriend in tow today on Beach Road near soi 2 today.

We got to about soi 5 and the driver stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road and got out and started ranting and raving to an elderly tourist in the back how he had to get out now.

The mans crime was to have gotten on the songtaew at Walking St and he was still on board around soi 5. The driver indicated that this was not allowed.

<deleted>....The driver went ballistic for nothing....no excuse where are u going or whatever?

He just chuched a spas in front of everyone in the vehicle.

The elderly man was in shock and got out and paid his fare and got on his way.

Songtaew scum!

I am probably stepping out of line now.....but here goes.

I don't live on a baht bus route, and never have, but on the occassions I am 'in the circuit' they are great. I defy any UK/US/AZ/NZ to say that they are not cheap and convenient (I left Euro's from the list as you now have Romanians and Poles who probably think they are expensive). :o

The only time I ever hear of people getting ripped off is when they go 'off route', and then that is probably down to their poor negotiating skills prior to boarding.

I will not even get into the 5/10 baht arguement, as I am far too young, and still have a life. My point is, find a cheaper, more regular, more convenient style of transport in your home country, then tell us all how bad the baht busses are.

I am probably stepping out of line now.....but here goes.

I don't live on a baht bus route, and never have, but on the occassions I am 'in the circuit' they are great. I defy any UK/US/AZ/NZ to say that they are not cheap and convenient (I left Euro's from the list as you now have Romanians and Poles who probably think they are expensive). :o

The only time I ever hear of people getting ripped off is when they go 'off route', and then that is probably down to their poor negotiating skills prior to boarding.

I will not even get into the 5/10 baht arguement, as I am far too young, and still have a life. My point is, find a cheaper, more regular, more convenient style of transport in your home country, then tell us all how bad the baht busses are.

Your very mentioning the Bt5/10 rip off (wait for the new Bt5/20 rip off) shows that you are aware of a fundamental sense of cheating amongst them but you choose (as I do) to suffer it due to the fear of violence.

Prey, if that does not describe scum who will beat you up if you do not pay a 100% surcharge then what does ?

Another famous piss take of recent years. Get on at South Pattaya and head for BigC. Little shit turns up Pattaya Klang or down it to Beach Road because he doesn't have, for him, enough passengers. He forgets in business you must assume risk but he wants the fare anyway and he wants you to pay again with another truck, thus incurring a 300% surcharge ! (Bt5 to Bt20 !).

A scare tactic is to stop for a lone passenger on the way to Jomtien late at night, say around the arab area. Then he stops about 200m further along and asks where you are going, trying to intimidate you into a private hire for fear of being "lost" in Pattaya. I lived in Jomtien so this particular trick never worked and I'd tell him I was going the same way as him to Jomtien.

However, the worst of all and their number has risen massively in the last few years are the little shits who will not ply the routes but who only want private hire. Avoid like the plague wherever possible as it just fuels their belief that being a lazy bugger backed up by a threat of violence is a fair way to earn a living.

The answer ? reduce the number from some 700 to about 300 and bring in about 200-300 real taxis.

Taxi's in Pattaya would be nice if they would actully USE the meter! I have yet to find one that will us ethe meter!

"Taxi Meter" my A$$. They quote the standard B150 to go just about anywhere and most offten B200 (off meter of course) I have asked at least 25 times in differnt spots and NO WAY they will use the meter!

B150/B200 to get From Villa at Avenue to Just up South Pattay Road aand Soi 16 (betwwen 3rd and Sukhumvit) is crazy, but what are you supposed to do when you ahve 10-12 bags of crap from the supermarket!

What is WAY worse is the B150 (and it is POSTED on a sign!) at Big C Sukhumvit/South Pattaya Road to go just down the STREET to Soi 16 on SPR! They get very pissed of and point to the sign when you nicley try and explain that it is like 2 mins down the road how aout 50 / 75 / 100 - NO WAY! B150 or WALK! This one seems to be a screw to all too regardless of being a Farang or not, as my GF got asked to pay the same when se was alone - He justpoint at the sign and said that was the minimum! Boy was she PISSED when she got home, had to listen to her get on the phone and complain to her mother and sister for like 30 min!

So Taxi's would be fantastic if it was LAW to have to use the Meter in town!

IMO the blue songtaews are 'highway men'. They have less and less opportunity to rob the public and so make the most of it when they get a chance.The white and light blue buses on Sukhumvit will take you anywhere within the Pattaya limits,on their route, for 10 Bht.

The robbery of the blue songtaews finally made me get a car, and I'm happy with that choice.

<snip>

The robbery of the blue songtaews finally made me get a car, and I'm happy with that choice.

I really dislike the idea of having a car in Pattaya and dislike even more the idea of driving. But I'm trying to work out whether I can hire a driver for half a day per week to do big shoppings, anyone have experience with this?

Not actually living in Pattaya/Jomtien but when we do stay in Jomtien, I always thought the idea of being able to walk out to main street and have a Songtaew come by that will take you all the way into Pattaya for 10 baht (or is it 5, cannot remember, don't care) was great. If we were out late at Walking street, we always just hired one to take us back. Have no idea of the exact costs, (200 baht?), but as I had probably just spent several thousand on dinner and such, it didn't bother me a bit.

TH

Edited by thaihome

The dual pricing has now stopped with Songtaews as Thais now have to pay 10 baht per trip.

Not true. It depends on the route and trip. I have noticed no change whatsoever in what Thai's pay. Pattaya to Jomtien was always 10 baht for both Thais and farangs.

Boarded a full songtaew with girlfriend in tow today on Beach Road near soi 2 today.

We got to about soi 5 and the driver stopped the vehicle in the middle of the road and got out and started ranting and raving to an elderly tourist in the back how he had to get out now.

The mans crime was to have gotten on the songtaew at Walking St and he was still on board around soi 5. The driver indicated that this was not allowed.

&lt;deleted&gt;....The driver went ballistic for nothing....no excuse where are u going or whatever?

He just chuched a spas in front of everyone in the vehicle.

The elderly man was in shock and got out and paid his fare and got on his way.

Songtaew scum!

Why pay if the driver wants him out? I'm easy going and have no problem catching another baht bus, but I'm certainly not going to pay for the ride -- I'm not a sucker. Never had a problem at all in these situations. And the driver never bothers me to pay either.

<snip>

I really dislike the idea of having a car in Pattaya and dislike even more the idea of driving. But I'm trying to work out whether I can hire a driver for half a day per week to do big shoppings, anyone have experience with this?

I know several people who hire the same driver every week to do the big shopping. I think they are charged 200 baht per hour - maybe more now, my driver has just upped his fares because of price of gas.

BTW, in all my years here, have always got on well with the songtaew drivers.

<snip>

I know several people who hire the same driver every week to do the big shopping. I think they are charged 200 baht per hour - maybe more now, my driver has just upped his fares because of price of gas.

I've been injured two times because of their driving!

I agree that some of the drivers are greedy etc. To say the least !

But ..........

I dread the day that Patty has the same taxi service as somewhere like Samui. We will all reminisce about the old days when you could get from Walking Street to Big C for 10 baht !

Got a feeling it will happen as Pattaya changes. More upmarket visitors and hotels/shopping means higher taxi rates. It happened in Chaweng.

Edited by BROWNY

Yes, I think they definitely don't like it if you do a circular tour or even a partial circular tour.

My Thai girlfriend had the same problem. She (and her ma and pa) stayed on a songtaew all the way from BigC on Second Road, down along the length of Beach Road, up South Road ... and then halfway along Soi Buakhao the driver stopped and started yelling at her and insulting them and saying they should have got off and caught another songtaew. She asked him much he wanted but he just kept yelling. She told me she took off one shoe and was going to whack him but her pa stopped her and the driver scurried off.

That said, on the whole I like the songtaews. Cheap, plentiful, 50 percent of the drivers are fine. Some of the lady drivers are really quite nice! I just wish there was a regular songtaew service on Third Road. That would transform public transport in central Pattaya.

Yes, I think they definitely don't like it if you do a circular tour or even a partial circular tour.

My Thai girlfriend had the same problem. She (and her ma and pa) stayed on a songtaew all the way from BigC on Second Road, down along the length of Beach Road, up South Road ... and then halfway along Soi Buakhao the driver stopped and started yelling at her and insulting them and saying they should have got off and caught another songtaew. She asked him much he wanted but he just kept yelling. She told me she took off one shoe and was going to whack him but her pa stopped her and the driver scurried off.

That said, on the whole I like the songtaews. Cheap, plentiful, 50 percent of the drivers are fine. Some of the lady drivers are really quite nice! I just wish there was a regular songtaew service on Third Road. That would transform public transport in central Pattaya.

The fact remains this sort of behaviour is very unsavoury especially when you are dealing with tourists who don't know these 'secret songtaew rules'

A polite request by the driver for more money or explanation would be suffice to sort out any misunderstandings.

<snip>

you will always get on with any thai when you pay them 200baht for a 40baht trip if you used a bangkok taxi same distance.

I agree that some of the drivers are greedy etc. To say the least !

But ..........

I dread the day that Patty has the same taxi service as somewhere like Samui. We will all reminisce about the old days when you could get from Walking Street to Big C for 10 baht !

Got a feeling it will happen as Pattaya changes. More upmarket visitors and hotels/shopping means higher taxi rates. It happened in Chaweng.

I don't see upmarket just stupid people who come here and don't question what they are being asked for, that includes any form of taxi, drinks, food, accomodation and other services, the thais are learning that if they ask for it they will generally get it, and the falangs in business here are 10 times worse

<snip>

you will always get on with any thai when you pay them 200baht for a 40baht trip if you used a bangkok taxi same distance.

We were talking about hiring a car with driver by the hour to do a weekly shop. Pick up at home, go to Foodland, go to Villa, go to Carrefour, go to Mikes, go to the bank, go to Friendship, go home. Nice A/C car, nice helpful driver. Relax for the rest of the week.

Taxi's in Pattaya would be nice if they would actully USE the meter! I have yet to find one that will us ethe meter!

"Taxi Meter" my A$$. They quote the standard B150 to go just about anywhere and most offten B200 (off meter of course) I have asked at least 25 times in differnt spots and NO WAY they will use the meter!

B150/B200 to get From Villa at Avenue to Just up South Pattay Road aand Soi 16 (betwwen 3rd and Sukhumvit) is crazy, but what are you supposed to do when you ahve 10-12 bags of crap from the supermarket!

What is WAY worse is the B150 (and it is POSTED on a sign!) at Big C Sukhumvit/South Pattaya Road to go just down the STREET to Soi 16 on SPR! They get very pissed of and point to the sign when you nicley try and explain that it is like 2 mins down the road how aout 50 / 75 / 100 - NO WAY! B150 or WALK! This one seems to be a screw to all too regardless of being a Farang or not, as my GF got asked to pay the same when se was alone - He justpoint at the sign and said that was the minimum! Boy was she PISSED when she got home, had to listen to her get on the phone and complain to her mother and sister for like 30 min!

So Taxi's would be fantastic if it was LAW to have to use the Meter in town!

Until this year I lived in View Talay 2 and would sometimes need a taxi from the supermarket and I hated having to give the buggers BT150 or so for a journey that did not warrant such a price. They point to the sihgns but just who made up these prices ? perhaps they did ?

Until this year I lived in View Talay 2 and would sometimes need a taxi from the supermarket and I hated having to give the buggers BT150 or so for a journey that did not warrant such a price. They point to the sihgns but just who made up these prices ? perhaps they did ?

Exactly! Like a sign saying the price is B150 to go 300 meters down the road makes it all "OK" and justified :o

I also noticed that on the back of many a Songtaew there is a nice RED Ministry of Transport chat displaying the fees for up to 5 passengers, funny from Nakula to Jomtien I believe is B120 on the chart (I could be wrong) very strange how DEFAULT price for a direct run seems to now is B150! And this is from 2nd Road / Soi 13 to Pattaya Tai / Soi 16 which I am pretty sure is SOUTH PATTAYA to SOUTH PATTAYA! but it costs more than Nakula to Jomtiem!