Songtaew Scum

Tolley

I only really started to notice anything on the baht buses about 4 years ago when I moved to Jomtien as before I lived in town and used them infrequently. At that time, they must have just put up those signs as they all had them as well as some badly written "by the power of the land transport the maximum fee will be Bt10" or similar. Of course, I thought they were real at first but now realise they were only put up to "justify" Bt10 against the "real" Bt5 fare and to screw you for long journeys. Now of course they have ripped them down as they want more than Bt10.

At the Tesco near Thepprasit and Soi Khaotalo I asked how much to Soi Khaotalo. Bt150 he barked and I reckon you'd have got there in 5 minutes. Of course, they now have half the car park full of these tossers waiting to rip people off.

I don't live on a baht bus route, and never have, but on the occassions I am 'in the circuit' they are great. I defy any UK/US/AZ/NZ to say that they are not cheap and convenient (I left Euro's from the list as you now have Romanians and Poles who probably think they are expensive). :o

The only time I ever hear of people getting ripped off is when they go 'off route', and then that is probably down to their poor negotiating skills prior to boarding.

I will not even get into the 5/10 baht arguement, as I am far too young, and still have a life. My point is, find a cheaper, more regular, more convenient style of transport in your home country, then tell us all how bad the baht busses are.

Your very mentioning the Bt5/10 rip off (wait for the new Bt5/20 rip off) shows that you are aware of a fundamental sense of cheating amongst them but you choose (as I do) to suffer it due to the fear of violence.

Prey, if that does not describe scum who will beat you up if you do not pay a 100% surcharge then what does ?

Another famous piss take of recent years. Get on at South Pattaya and head for BigC. Little shit turns up Pattaya Klang or down it to Beach Road because he doesn't have, for him, enough passengers. He forgets in business you must assume risk but he wants the fare anyway and he wants you to pay again with another truck, thus incurring a 300% surcharge ! (Bt5 to Bt20 !).

A scare tactic is to stop for a lone passenger on the way to Jomtien late at night, say around the arab area. Then he stops about 200m further along and asks where you are going, trying to intimidate you into a private hire for fear of being "lost" in Pattaya. I lived in Jomtien so this particular trick never worked and I'd tell him I was going the same way as him to Jomtien.

However, the worst of all and their number has risen massively in the last few years are the little shits who will not ply the routes but who only want private hire. Avoid like the plague wherever possible as it just fuels their belief that being a lazy bugger backed up by a threat of violence is a fair way to earn a living.

When I'm in Pattaya, I stay an average of 2 months per trip, and do this twice a year and have done this for the past 5 years.. . I normally take a baht bus 1 to 3 times a day, everyday... out of the hundreds of times I've taken a baht bus, there was only one incident that was bad..

I had gotten out at Big "C" gave the man 10 baht and walked away.. The dude jumps out and starts yelling at me, pointing at 10 baht in his hand.. So, I said, yes, correct, 10 baht. He's like no, no, no, 10 baht, 10 baht.. I asked him you want yee-sip (20) baht.. yeah, yeah!! I only had large baht bills at the time.. I would have given him another 10 baht, shit I would have given him 20 baht.. But I did not have change.. So I walked away... The clown grabbed me.. I slap the crap out of his hand, then he started looking for help, yaking to other Thais, saying that I hit him.. This went on for 5 mins, and now there is a crowed gathering.. I end up telling him to call the police, but he's still in a rage.. I kept telling him to call the police... He then opens the passenger door up and leans in, I'm like oh shit.. he's going to shoot me.. He pops out with 10 baht, sticks it up in the air and shows everyone, and said it was on the floor, claiming I never put it in his hand... Then he called me "Stupid" and that was it..

I was kind of gun shy to get on a baht bus after that, figuring all drivers were the same... When I got my senses back, realized I can't let one bad problem erase the hundreds of rides I taken with no problems.. Some of the people complaining about the service, they make it sound like it's a daily issue with them, that's just hard to believe..

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now those guys that park in front of the Royal Garden, will never get a ride with them... I do on occassion, just for shits and giggles, ask them how much for a ride to Big "C" - most will say 100 to 120 baht.. I say no thanks, then they'll say how much you pay? I just walk away and jump on the next baht bus and pay 10 baht..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure if you ask all the Baht Bus drivers, what do they think of Farangs and providing them service.. They most likely will answer the same way, and only mention the bad incidents with customers..

ONe day i got on a bus at View talay 2 going into Pattaya. Before South Pattaya Road she pulls up and parks. She asks for cash but i say I am going to Klang or BigC i cannot remember and wuold have to pay again. She just gets back in her parked bus and i walk off. The next day she picks me up again and does the same again. <deleted> I think ! This time she just says "no pay".

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now those guys that park in front of the Royal Garden, will never get a ride with them... I do on occassion, just for shits and giggles, ask them how much for a ride to Big "C" - most will say 100 to 120 baht.. I say no thanks, then they'll say how much you pay? I just walk away and jump on the next baht bus and pay 10 baht..

5 baht too much.

5 baht too much.

Keeneow

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing to note, if I don't have 10baht change and have say 20 or 100 note, I show them it then ask for the change first, most of them understand this and provide with a smile, they know that they or some of their comrades will just take the money and drive on.

Also if you have unreasonable agro from them as posted previously, make a very obvious note of the bus number before things get worse, they will generally back off once they are aware you are aware.

Next time you want to play with the drivers, consider this:

When you are faced with a long line of Baht Buses waiting for a farang mark to scam, pretend to be a little drunk and approach the first in the line, quietly ask for the price to any destination. Be clearly shocked at the response of 150-200 Baht and say that you have spent all your money but you know some Thai men like farang men and in exchange for taking you home you will allow him to spend 15 minute giving you a special massage with a happy ending. He tells you to FO then stagger to the next in line, ask the same question - give the same response, repeat until you get to the last in line. By now all the bored drivers will be watching you.

To the last driver you simply ask the fare and agree to what ever he quotes, jump in the back and wave to all the other drivers as you pass them.

Next time you want to play with the drivers, consider this:

When you are faced with a long line of Baht Buses waiting for a farang mark to scam, pretend to be a little drunk and approach the first in the line, quietly ask for the price to any destination. Be clearly shocked at the response of 150-200 Baht and say that you have spent all your money but you know some Thai men like farang men and in exchange for taking you home you will allow him to spend 15 minute giving you a special massage with a happy ending. He tells you to FO then stagger to the next in line, ask the same question - give the same response, repeat until you get to the last in line. By now all the bored drivers will be watching you.

To the last driver you simply ask the fare and agree to what ever he quotes, jump in the back and wave to all the other drivers as you pass them.

Wicked :o

I only really started to notice anything on the baht buses about 4 years ago when I moved to Jomtien as before I lived in town and used them infrequently. At that time, they must have just put up those signs as they all had them as well as some badly written "by the power of the land transport the maximum fee will be Bt10" or similar. Of course, I thought they were real at first but now realise they were only put up to "justify" Bt10 against the "real" Bt5 fare and to screw you for long journeys. Now of course they have ripped them down as they want more than Bt10.

At the Tesco near Thepprasit and Soi Khaotalo I asked how much to Soi Khaotalo. Bt150 he barked and I reckon you'd have got there in 5 minutes. Of course, they now have half the car park full of these tossers waiting to rip people off.

At the Tesco at Sukhumvit / Thepprasit they want 150 TB. I walked to the Outlet Mall next door and was offered 100 TB immediately - negotiated down to 80 Baht (Last October / November)

I can't blame the drivers.

How would you feel if you were a bus driver in your country and ugly rude foriegners came for sex with young poor girls for the price of a pack of cigs and a pie and beans.

I would despise them and try to get as much out of the bastards as I could.

How would you feel if you were a bus driver in your country and ugly rude foriegners came for sex with young poor girls for the price of a pack of cigs and a pie and beans.

No need to tar us all with your own brush Neeranam.

I am not ugly or rude, and I always give them enough for 2 packs of cigs and a Cornish Pasty. :o

Edited by sweetchariot

And you think the girls are here just for the tourists.

How little you know Pattaya.

No need to tar us all with your own brush Neeranam.

I am not ugly or rude, and I always give them enough for 2 packs of cigs and a Cornish Pasty. :D

I know mate, there are many decent people in Pattaya - I was just trying to show it from their perspective. :o