Nose-picking

monkeygirl

this is also something i've found myself, thai people are so polite about using a toothpick after eating, covering their mouth with their hand etc but then some will proceed to pick a big one out of their nostril in full view or else use the motorbike mirror to sqeeze spots. I commend them on their complete lack of embarrassment but why then bother with the whole toothpick routine? :o

n.b this applies to both men & women i know

Edited by Boo

this is also something i've found myself, thai people are so polite about using a toothpick after eating, covering their mouth with their hand etc but then some will proceed to pick a big one out of their nostril in full view or else use the motorbike mirror to sqeeze spots. I commend them on their complete lack of embarrassment but why then bother with the whole toothpick routine? :o

n.b this applies to both men & women i know

:D:D:D

nosepicking or "stocktaking" is but one of the many foul and filthy habits that the thais are happy to practice in public.

ive seen it from thais of all backgrounds , finger up the nose pulling them out for closer examination before flicking them away..... never yet seen anyone put one back though.

displays of earwax removal and spot bursting are equally repellant to us sensitive westerners. having to listen to loud throat clearing and spitting can be offputting at breakfast time too. ball scratching and genital shuffling is a favourite of taxi and motorcycle drivers , but being a male myself i cant really condemn this practice too much.

and those long hairs that they grow on their facial moles....whats all that about ?

the penchant for roadside urination is more understandable, given the lack of public toilets , and yes, its a mystery to me as well why thais are so particular about covering their mouths when using a toothpick.

its a funny old world.

The problem is their noses. Because of their pug noses, that you can see up into while looking at them face to face, they have to make sure the nostrils are free of any alien waste. Seems to be mainly a female thing, like the zit squeezing in front of the handbag mirror, the hawking and spitting in the gutter and the under arm hair plucking in public.

I've only seen this in one person, so maybe she's just impolite in general, but one Thai girl I know will just be going to town digging in her nostrils while she's talking to you, like nothing's weird at all! Is this okay for Thais?

Then they'll cover their mouth like fury when using a toothpick.

How about the Thai's that shoot snot rockets out!!! I think that's why they made tissues for this.

thats the foulest thing , especially when they dont make a complete and clean exit and they whiplash back onto the guys chin or shirt !! :o

I saw a few women doing it!!! I said OK That's it I'm glad have not seen my wife do it If she does I hope she does it out of my eyesight.

I commend them on their complete lack of embarrassment but why then bother with the whole toothpick routine? :o

I think the Thais in my immediate family enviro have a thing about the inside of the mouth. They have a tendancy to cover their mouth when they yawn and are not shy to let you know that you should too. Only thing is, they don't seem to have a problem with seeing the inside of the mouth and everything in it when they are chewing.

:D Coffee!!! :D