Easy Enough For Farang Like Us To Drive Around Thailand?

TaraLotus

I would not hire a car for any time spent in BKK but for elsewhere why not? As others have stated a lot of normal rules of driving do not exist here. They estimate that over 50% of the population have never sat a driving exam.

However if you are only here for a short time and will no doubt be hanging out in BKK for a few days the question is it worth it springs to mind. Driving or not be very aware of motorbikes especially at night. For some strange reason in the country even people with brand new bikes never switch their lights on when the sun goes down. You will also find bikes coming at you from every direction. Normal rules of the road don't seem to apply to a lot of crazy Thai's who get killed on a regular daily basis.

Anyone who has been here for any length of time has seen their fair share of motorbike accidents.

One way streets maybe that for cars but not motorbikes.

Another word of warning. In Bangkok motorbike bag snatchers are common. Don't wear you valuables on display or have one of those crazy tourist belts that screams all my money and passport is in here.

How many times have heard this " by law you must have an international driving permit".

This is catagorically incorrect

You seem to be at odds with advice issued by the UK Driving Associations The AA and The RAC, not to mention the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618386505 which states "An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand."

The Amazing Thailand web site also says "You require a Thai driving licence or and International driving permit to ride a motorcycle or drive a car. Your licence from home is not sufficient. When driving without a licence you also invalidate your insurance cover." http://www.amazing-thailand.com/Safe.html

John

How many times have heard this " by law you must have an international driving permit".

This is catagorically incorrect

You seem to be at odds with advice issued by the UK Driving Associations The AA and The RAC, not to mention the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office http://www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front?pagena...d=1013618386505 which states "An international or Thai driving licence is required to drive in Thailand."

The Amazing Thailand web site also says "You require a Thai driving licence or and International driving permit to ride a motorcycle or drive a car. Your licence from home is not sufficient. When driving without a licence you also invalidate your insurance cover." http://www.amazing-thailand.com/Safe.html

John

This is correct. Thailand only provides mutual recognition of drivers licenses issued in Singapore, Malaysia and Loas. Everyone else needs either a valid Thai license to drive, or International Drivers Permits.

I have driven in Thailand numerous times including Bangkok-Hua Hin; Bangkok-Pattaya; Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui without any real problems. Poor quality maps have been my biggest problem.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT - By law you must have an international driving permit[/b]. It is unlikely that your hire company agent will be aware of this legal requirement so you won't be asked to show it. However, if you get into any problems with the Police you will need it.

Regards

John

Can you advise how you can obtain one of these ?

I have driven in Thailand numerous times including Bangkok-Hua Hin; Bangkok-Pattaya; Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai, Phuket and Samui without any real problems. Poor quality maps have been my biggest problem.

ONE VERY IMPORTANT POINT - By law you must have an international driving permit[/b]. It is unlikely that your hire company agent will be aware of this legal requirement so you won't be asked to show it. However, if you get into any problems with the Police you will need it.

Regards

John

Can you advise how you can obtain one of these ?

From the issuing authority in your home country, eg. In Australia, it is the RAC, NRMA etc etc. Potentially AA in North America, RAC in the UK? Of course, you must have a valid license in your home country before one is issued.

Easy enough to fax a copy of your current DL to your home country, and along with a scanned passport photo, someone can apply for you. Costs $20 in Australia.

OP. A driving holiday in thailand is great fun don't be put off by those that can't drive anywhere but their home country, Thais drive to their unwritten rules as do those people in every other country. Watch what other drivers do and you will soon understand how to drive in Thailand safely.

This is catagorically incorrect and none of the big international car hire companies such as avis,hertz or budget will require it. Believe me these companies are more than aware of what is legally required within the worldwide countries that they operate in.
With all due respect I think the writer of these words is having an "mis-understanding moment."

Any car hire company is aware of what must legally do "to hire out a car", that is their business.

(There is the cavat about small road side fly by night people that don't use commercial insurance cover.)

It is not the job of the hire company to police the roads or the drivers, before I bought a car here and rented I only had to prove I could drive a car of that class to be allowed to hire it, for which my national licence was accepted. As for "Driving" with the correct paperwork, like speeding it is the police that enforce the laws not the likes of Avis and Hertz.

OP. A driving holiday in thailand is great fun don't be put off by those that can't drive anywhere but their home country, Thais drive to their unwritten rules as do those people in every other country. Watch what other drivers do and you will soon understand how to drive in Thailand safely.
This is catagorically incorrect and none of the big international car hire companies such as avis,hertz or budget will require it. Believe me these companies are more than aware of what is legally required within the worldwide countries that they operate in.
With all due respect I think the writer of these words is having an "mis-understanding moment."

Any car hire company is aware of what must legally do "to hire out a car", that is their business.

(There is the cavat about small road side fly by night people that don't use commercial insurance cover.)

It is not the job of the hire company to police the roads or the drivers, before I bought a car here and rented I only had to prove I could drive a car of that class to be allowed to hire it, for which my national licence was accepted. As for "Driving" with the correct paperwork, like speeding it is the police that enforce the laws not the likes of Avis and Hertz.

Well I have to say that I am indeed having more than a few mis-understanding moments with regard to all of this!

From Budget:-

Drivers License

All drivers must hold a current, non-probationary license. The license may either be Thai, or from a renter's country of residence (with an English translation) or an international drivers permit. Licenses (and a valid passport) must be carried at all times when driving.-

.....and Avis

RENTER AND ADDITIONAL DRIVER MUST HAVE A PERMANENT

DRIVING LICENCE WHICH HAVE HELD FOR AT LEAST ONE YEAR.

VALID DRIVING LICENCE FROM COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE IS

REQUIRED. INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT IS REQUIRED

FOR RENTER WITH LICENCE IN NON ROMAN ALPHABET,

PROBATIONARY LICENCE IS NOT ACCEPTED.

...and Hertz:-

Driver must have at least one year of driving experience at the time of rental and possess a current international driving licence or a current national driving licence which is translated into English. If the local driving licence is not in English, then an international driving licence has to be presented

..and Thai rent a car:-

6. DRIVER’S LICENSE REQUIREMENT

In order to rent THAI RENT A CAR vehicle, a valid driver’s license from the customer’s country of residence is required and must be presented at time of rental. International renters must present a valid license from their country of residence, if the license is in a language rather than English, an International Driver’s permit is required in conjunction with the country of residence driver’s license

Now from what quite a few people are saying with regard to license requirements it would appear that these companies are allowing unsuspecting tourists to drive illegally on Thailands roads in their new or nearly new cars. If this is the case how does any insurance stand up...these international car hire people must have a really accomodating and understanding insurer thats for sure. If this is really happening then this is amazing even by amazing thailands standards.

From the world drivers club website this explains what the IDP is:-

The International Driver’s document issued by the World Drivers Club is a translation of a national driver’s license which allows the motorist to drive in different territories without experiencing difficulties with various language barriers. This international driver’s license is, however, valid only with the original driver’s license. We do not issue valid International Driver's Licenses nor are these documents intended for legal driving use. You are required to have valid government issued licenses to operate a vehicle. Your International Driver’s License MUST be accompanied at all times by your original valid driver's license. You are not allowed to present IDL as the main document because it is only a translation of your original driver's license.

Note it is your "orginal drivers license " that is actually the VALID document and the Int drivers permit is no more than a language translation of that valid document.Since there is no Thai language on an IDP then English being the recognised world language is the one a Thai policeman would probably refer to .So what you have here(at least in the case of the UK or other english language license) is a translation from English into ...well English.Amazing Thailand again methinks.

As I have previously said I have always driven using my English license.I understood that I was driving a hire car legally and on the 3 occasions that I have had to show my license the police officers concerned also decided(at least in their eyes) that I was driving legally.No mention of an IDP whatsoever.

I would be interested to know of anyone who has rented a car from one of the big players only to find out that they were driving illegally following an accident or being stopped by the police. What happened and of more interest what did Hertz or Budget or Avis have to say when you presumably confronted them over this.? Surely these companies must have some basic responsibilities towards their customers when driving abroad?

The IDP is a hoary old one that keeps coming up. Over the years two of my Bangkok based colleagues have had accidents involving injuries with police involved. Never has the fact that they were driving on their own national licenses come into the equation.

To get back to the OP....9 days starting in Phuket, stopping off in Ko Lanta, maybe Chiang Rai and back to Bangkok ? Not a driver you need its a sodding pilot. I've spent longer than that in Bangkok traffic jams when I've just popped out to the 7-11. Good Luck

I think more the question is where have you been and driven before ??

The driving in Thailand is very good compared to come places, All my life I have lived out in the Countryside is every Country I have lived in, yes here I have a car and drive everywhere, I have driven down to Bangkok a number of times each year and find it no problem.

One point a good map is good but only for you, as I have found that most Thais do not use, or understand them…… Here directions are given by landmarks… turn when you see so and so building.. past xzy hotel and turn by 7/11, over 2nd bridge and turn etc.. If your going some place I find it is best to ask at least 2 different people, as both may use the same route but have different landmarks.. because what one person uses as a landmark may not be what you expect

Have a great holiday :o

I have been driving in Thailand since 1991. In the USA, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road, so that took some getting used to but no huge problem. I have normally always had manual transmissions so shifting with my left hand was awkward for a while too. I lived in Bangkok for the first five years and worked near the city so I had no choice other than to drive myself. A year or so ago. I discovered that the Thailand ESRI GPS map and the Garmin GPS itself were very accurate and could be trusted. That has increased my enjoyment immensely because I no longer am forced to stick to the highways and I NEVER get lost.