Can I Open A Bank Account In Thailand If Im Just Staying For 2 Months ?

Hi

This year I will stay in Thailand for 2 months, next year maybe longer. I would like to have an account there and Im prepared to transfer some money to it.

So if I show my passport will it work or do I need to give them more information?

Thanks!

Hi

This year I will stay in Thailand for 2 months, next year maybe longer. I would like to have an account there and Im prepared to transfer some money to it.

So if I show my passport will it work or do I need to give them more information?

Thanks!

All you need is your passport and an address in Thailand, I opened an account at Kasikorn in 25 minutes with 2,000 Baht. Of course it helps if you are fluent in Thai and polite.

Thanks so I dont need a permanent address then , I'll give them my address to the rented apartment and it should be ok ?

I will try Bangkok Bank, Sukhumvut Soi if you think thats easier than the Silom main office??

Bangkok Bank, Sukhumvit Soi 8 corner. Passport and a "theoretical" address. Plenty of friends, never a problem.

Usually any branch of Kasikorn is no problem with a tourist visa, and you don't have to be able to speak any Thai.
I do confirm. :o

Last example in Kasikorn Bank on Pattaya Tai 2 weeks ago : my friend only had his passport and not even a visa, only a visa exemption stamp for 30 days. He does not speak Thai but all was ok in English. He gave is hotel address. They asked for 500 baht, of which 300 are for the ATM card. It took no more than 20 minutes :D

The above referenced BKK Bank branch is closer to soi 10 on Sukhumvit Road, between Nana and Asoke BTS.

The staff there is good about opening new accounts, and speak at least rudimentary English.

Don't go to the counter downstairs. Go upstairs to the second floor, that's where to open new accounts.

Bring passport and whatever address documentation you have. Min. account balance is 500 baht I believe and maybe a bit more to open.

Ok then I have changed my mind, I go to Kasikorn Bank instead, I bring a tourist visa with me so it shouldnt be any problems . And I only speak English... :o

Usually any branch of Kasikorn is no problem with a tourist visa, and you don't have to be able to speak any Thai.
I do confirm. :D

Last example in Kasikorn Bank on Pattaya Tai 2 weeks ago : my friend only had his passport and not even a visa, only a visa exemption stamp for 30 days. He does not speak Thai but all was ok in English. He gave is hotel address. They asked for 500 baht, of which 300 are for the ATM card. It took no more than 20 minutes :D

Bangkok Bank, Sukhumvit Soi 8 corner. Passport and a "theoretical" address. Plenty of friends, never a problem.

I inquired at this bank a few days ago, they seemed to want some kind of confirmation from my embassy, not sure what they meant, didnt ask for a work permit tho

• 2 weeks later...

I inquired at this bank a few days ago, they seemed to want some kind of confirmation from my embassy, not sure what they meant, didnt ask for a work permit tho

The bank wants you to go to the embassy of the country that issued your passport so that you can obtain an affidavit indicating that the passport is valid and that it is indeed your passport. At the US embassy it costs money to have such a document prepared. Your embassy may differ.

I opened my account at this same branch of BKK Bank a few months ago, as an American with a business visa. Their B1st debit card carries the Visa logo, so you can use like a credit card for purchases.

They never asked me anything about confirmation letters. And I've never heard of them doing that, in any of the prior banking threads I've read here on TV. Everyone pretty much has indicated BBKB is very accommodating about such things.

Another recourse is to deal through the bank's main, large HQ office on Silom Road. But the Suk Soi 10 branch deals with tons of foreigners, so I'm surprised you got any trouble there -- unless there's some unusual nationality or other quirk present.