Chao Praya Boat Trips

bkkvillan

hi all, new member here. having lived in bkk on ans off for the last 3 years, i'm ashamed to say i'v never taken a trip on the famous river. i'll be back in april for a short stay and was wondering if anyone can recommend a trip for myself and my wife and kid to take during the day. a specialized one that caters for seeing all the main sights on the river. cheers. up the villa.

hi all, new member here. having lived in bkk on ans off for the last 3 years, i'm ashamed to say i'v never taken a trip on the famous river. i'll be back in april for a short stay and was wondering if anyone can recommend a trip for myself and my wife and kid to take during the day. a specialized one that caters for seeing all the main sights on the river. cheers. up the villa.

Welcome aboard :D

May be post in Bangkok forum for desired recommendations, in Samui we can only help with elephant rides :o

Take the skytrain to the Taksin stop. There is a booth at the top of the stairs that will set up a full tour of sites along the river and klongs on a long boat with a English speaking guide if you want. There are also several tables with same stuff if you go down to the riverside.

It won’t be the cheapest way (as you will be informed after my post), but it just depends on much hassle you want to go through to save a 20 bucks or something.

TH

Take the Chao Phraya Tourist Boat from Saphan Taksin, which allows you to jump on and off all day for 120 baht. They have someone standing at the front of the boat explaining into a microphone what the sights are and what's around the various piers. Or alternatively, print out this web page for the info, get on a boat for 15 baht, get off at any pier that catches your fancy, explore around, and then get the next boat for 15 baht to the next pier that catches your fancy. Both solutions are plenty of fun, involve no "hassle" and you can explore on your own time.

also at the Taksin Bridge BTS tour agency you can book a boat trip along the river to Ayhudhya. Takes about 4 hours and is very pleasant. Return trip to BKK is by bus or van (or van first and boat back), but I prefer to take the boat both ways. This means some haggling with the price as this is not the normal package. Also means you don;t actually get off the boat and see the town. But who cares, the boat trip is excellent in itself with a buffet lunch on board included. Great way to spend a day. About 2,000 baht from memory.

The 120 baht trip is great value as Billp says - you can see the Grand Palace, Wat Pho, Wat Arun, the Royal Barges, the Emerald Buddha, the Flower market, watch the barges, the long tail boats, the riverfront properties that range from luxurious to squalid.

start early and you will probably want to go back another day to explore all the sites and sights thoroughly!