Racist Police After Accident

Just had a motorcycle accident at an intersection. Thai girl turning right doesn't look and drives into my path. I call my Thai friend to deal with the translation. My point is that the damage to my bike is minor so don't worry about it. Nobody was injured. I get the phone back and i'm told that she wants me to pay for her bike. Forget it. My friend calls the police. A snake head arrives and starts inspecting her bike. A policeman arrives and talks with the girl and snake head. SH jabbers on while pointing to her bike, the oly word I understand him say is "farang", I give the phone to the policeman, I get it back. Wait for another policeman. He arrives. SH has left by now. More talking. Phone again. Go tot the police station. Arrive at station. Police are taking statement from girls. I'm just hanging around in the lobby, considering just leaving as they didn't take my registration number. Decide to stay, call my school, they send a teacher who can speak English. Finaly get into the interview room, girl has drawn picture etc and told the police I was on the wrong side of the road. I told them what actually happened, Thai teacher translates. Policeman looks out the window. Thai teacher now feels uncomfortable, tries to convince me to pay. Manage to get out of the station before any decision is made. My wife phones the policeman to find out why I don't get a fair hearing, he puts the phone down on her.

Next day more teachers get involved and go to the police station. The police are going to investigate, whatever that means. Will find out more today.

Anyone else had similar? How did it turn out?

Just had a motorcycle accident at an intersection. Thai girl turning right doesn't look and drives into my path. I call my Thai friend to deal with the translation. My point is that the damage to my bike is minor so don't worry about it. Nobody was injured. I get the phone back and i'm told that she wants me to pay for her bike. Forget it. My friend calls the police. A snake head arrives and starts inspecting her bike. A policeman arrives and talks with the girl and snake head. SH jabbers on while pointing to her bike, the oly word I understand him say is "farang", I give the phone to the policeman, I get it back. Wait for another policeman. He arrives. SH has left by now. More talking. Phone again. Go tot the police station. Arrive at station. Police are taking statement from girls. I'm just hanging around in the lobby, considering just leaving as they didn't take my registration number. Decide to stay, call my school, they send a teacher who can speak English. Finaly get into the interview room, girl has drawn picture etc and told the police I was on the wrong side of the road. I told them what actually happened, Thai teacher translates. Policeman looks out the window. Thai teacher now feels uncomfortable, tries to convince me to pay. Manage to get out of the station before any decision is made. My wife phones the policeman to find out why I don't get a fair hearing, he puts the phone down on her.

Next day more teachers get involved and go to the police station. The police are going to investigate, whatever that means. Will find out more today.

If you are not at fault, the thai girl just wants your money (yeah obvious, I know :o ). Many Thai eyes will superimpose dollar signs on foreignors' foreheads. The thai cops don't want to make an effort to cross the language barrier, even with translators because its too much of a headache although its their job. I have a feeling the cop (while you were isolated in the lobby) was working out how to get you to pay the girl so he can also have his cut.

Getting this matter into court will be a drag for all parties so thats an incentive to force one party or the other to settle out.

I don't believe the policeman was after tea money. My Thai college went to the bike repair shop with the girl and got a quote for the repairs, and it seems that if I capitulate then that's the end of it. As far as I can tell, he's just a racist pig who had no intension of seeing justice done. I'm hoping that the other cops that know some of my school directors will be a bit more professional. The problem is that aren't any whitnesses, only those she has probably arranged over the last couple of days. Otherwise it's her word against mine. Bummer.

If you had insurance, I'd have got them involved. If you have no insurance then you are a fool. She will likely have no insurance.

I believe from what you say that the policeman was after his cut of whatever you gave the girl. After you pay her and leave, he'll say something like "well you know you should have got nothing so ......... and without me ......" etc.

Whilst there seems to be an underlying acceptance to let these *** off even when they damage your vehicle and even pay them for the priviledge of doing so, I do not agree with it. If you are in the wrong, then making it go away for next to nothing is a good idea but just paying because you are not Thai is always wrong, if sometimes right !

You bringing a teacher was a mistake though I understand your need for a translator. You would have needed someone who would back your corner and not back down to these <deleted>.

Did she have a helmet on ? was she drunk ? on yaba ? These are the things to get sorted out straight away. If you had a camera on your phone then pictures would have been good as would a drawing of what happened.

I think you're screwed unless you say "take me to court" ***but be aware of the potential consequences of doing that. If you have her address and you have some good Thai friends, get them to see her and say that you will prosecute her unless she drops her claim.

I am amazed by the words that are used in this thread.......I really don't wonder who the racist(s) is (are) !

Get a grip guys !!

So am I. I dont see any evidence of racism from the police or anybody else.

Insurance sorts these incidents. If you dont have insurance then a good result seeing as it is a legal requirement.

On girl friends bike, no helmet. stopped in middle of road to make a right. Hear roar of engine and see pick up cresting brow of hill at high speed. Somehow realise that driver of pick up is on phone and will not miss me. Bike stalls, I jump. Pickup knocks bike nigh on 100m down road. I stand there, shaking. Pick up stops. Crowd of locals, including girl friend gather. Lads of sympathy for me, (I do know most of the crowd) no one talks to driver.

My g/f calls her "contact" in police. Driver calls his. He's from Pattya. We're from Banchang.

Emergency vehicles arrive, 4 of em. No ones injured but there's bike bits every where.

BIB arrives and takes details, licences etc. goes.

2 hours later g/f gets call for us to go to BIB station. We pitch up. Drivers there plus his insurance man and G/Fs.

Into office so sargeant can play with model cay and bike on map. I'm asked to leave. G/F, insurance men and BIB chat for 20 min. G/F comes out.

Now believe me this was hard to take but, in retrospect I'm glad I did it.

"8,000 BHT and we go home now"

'No pay, come back later and maybe pay more in court"

"UTY (Up to you)"

Sorry, folks but I paid. Done and dusted.

I was in the right and everyone agreed. BUT the BIB was going to say it. Basically the p/u drivers police contact was higher up the pecking order than the g/fs.

Later a good friend asked why I hadn't phoned her for help. " My Uncle is Chief of BIB, so you no pay"

Happy days.

Edited by Jandajoy

On girl friends bike, no helmet. stopped in middle of road to make a right. Hear roar of engine and see pick up cresting brow of hill at high speed. Somehow realise that driver of pick up is on phone and will not miss me. Bike stalls, I jump. Pickup knocks bike nigh on 100m down road. I stand there, shaking. Pick up stops. Crowd of locals, including girl friend gather. Lads of sympathy for me, (I do know most of the crowd) no one talks to driver.

My g/f calls her "contact" in police. Driver calls his. He's from Pattya. We're from Banchang.

Emergency vehicles arrive, 4 of em. No ones injured but there's bike bits every where.

2 hours later g/f gets call for us to go to BIB station. We pitch up. Drivers there plus his insurance man and G/Fs.

Into office so sargeant can play with model cay and bike on map. I'm asked to leave. G/F, insurance men and BIB chat for 20 min. G/F comes out.

"UTY (Up to you)"

I was in the right and everyone agreed. BUT the BIB was going to say it. Basically the p/u drivers police contact was higher up the pecking order than the g/fs.

Later a good friend asked why I hadn't phoned her for help. " My Uncle is Chief of BIB, so you no pay"

Happy days.

:o Don't you just love this country sometimes?

I am amazed by the words that are used in this thread.......I really don't wonder who the racist(s) is (are) !

Get a grip guys !!

Insurance sorts these incidents. If you dont have insurance then a good result seeing as it is a legal requirement.

examples of racism in 20th Century USA: White guy commits a crime, black guy is found guilty.

White folks allowed, blacks not. Etc

examples of racism in Thailand today: you are guilty because of your race. No ifs or buts. The decision was made before the incedent.

One price for Thais, another for foreigners. Etc

I'm sorry if you can't see it.

Anyway, went back to the station with another Thai teacher. She was much better that the first. She really argued for over an hour. The policeman was threatening me with court and asked me to help the girl. I ended up paying half the bill, due to my Thai friend. So, damed if you do, damed if you don't. I'll never stop after an accident again (hope i never have one).

One other point, compulsory insurance doesn't cover third party vehicles, only third party injuries. Hospital bills, not mechanic bills. You need private insurance for that, got it on my car, will look into getting it on the wife's bike. Still won't stop though.

Get a grip guys !!

examples of racism in 20th Century USA: White guy commits a crime, black guy is found guilty.

examples of racism in Thailand today: you are guilty because of your race. No ifs or buts. The decision was made before the incedent.

Anyway, went back to the station with another Thai teacher. She was much better that the first. She really argued for over an hour. The policeman was threatening me with court and asked me to help the girl. I ended up paying half the bill, due to my Thai friend. So, damed if you do, damed if you don't. I'll never stop after an accident again (hope i never have one).

One other point, compulsory insurance doesn't cover third party vehicles, only third party injuries. Hospital bills, not mechanic bills. You need private insurance for that, got it on my car, will look into getting it on the wife's bike. Still won't stop though.

Mate, I don't wish to rattle your cage too much but how long have you been an expat?

1. You're living in somebody elses country. It's not yours. You're a visitor.

2. If you try to apply "your" rules and conditions you'll just end up with ulcers.

3. Relax, go with the flow, and look at all the positives of being allowed to be here as a guest.

4. You have absolutely no right to "insist" on anything. You are a guest.

5. I dare say others will shoot me down but the art of surviving and enjoying the expat life IMO is to "go with the flow".

6. Rattling a bit harder now :o Why do teachers think they're special? Could be a new topic?

pip pip

I don't believe the policeman was after tea money. My Thai college went to the bike repair shop with the girl and got a quote for the repairs, and it seems that if I capitulate then that's the end of it. As far as I can tell, he's just a racist pig who had no intension of seeing justice done. I'm hoping that the other cops that know some of my school directors will be a bit more professional. The problem is that aren't any whitnesses, only those she has probably arranged over the last couple of days. Otherwise it's her word against mine. Bummer.

I'd appreciate a definition, in your terms, of the word "rascism".

Secondly is your spelling of the word "whitnesses" just a Freudian slip?

Thirdly, so it's OK for the Directors of your school to pull strings with the police? Couldn't this be defined as corruption, favouritism or the like.

be happy.

"UTY (Up to you)"

Happy days.

:o Don't you just love this country sometimes?

All the time, so far. Expect the unexpected and see it as fun. Luv it.

I didn't know that "woe" was on the curriculum.

Or is "woe" a Thai word?

Sorry, I'm a bit thick.

pip pip

Actually, paying half is about the norm. As is what happened to Jandajoy, regardless of whether or not a farang is involved.

There is an accident, both vehicles are impounded pending an investigation. If you don't want to deal with the hassle (and most people don't) then you come to an arrangement with the other party regarding responsibility. If you can't make a deal then you wait until the court date. Could be months. And you generally don't get your vehicle back until the case has been resolved. At least, thats the way they do it here.

A friend had an accident with a Burmese worker from a local resort, he paid his damage and they left it at that. I imagine she had her damage taken out of her wages. He could have pushed the issue since it was clearly her fault but preferred to keep his bike.

I've seen the same exact situation in Thai-Thai accidents as well.

Actually, paying half is about the norm. As is what happened to Jandajoy, regardless of whether or not a farang is involved.

There is an accident, both vehicles are impounded pending an investigation. If you don't want to deal with the hassle (and most people don't) then you come to an arrangement with the other party regarding responsibility. If you can't make a deal then you wait until the court date. Could be months. And you generally don't get your vehicle back until the case has been resolved. At least, thats the way they do it here.

A friend had an accident with a Burmese worker from a local resort, he paid his damage and they left it at that. I imagine she had her damage taken out of her wages. He could have pushed the issue since it was clearly her fault but preferred to keep his bike.

I've seen the same exact situation in Thai-Thai accidents as well.

Spot on. Happened last week between two thais outside my front door. Checking later, my Thai is attrocious, the boss said it was simply "same same you" but only 5000 this time. It all works out in the wash/crash.

pip pip

Hi :o

I had two accidents while living in Thailand, and both happened WITHIN TWO WEEKS about three years ago, with the car. First time i got rammed by a truck, i was turning right at an intersection and so was the truck to my left, he pulled to far and crashed my left side. As his vehicle had a bolt sticking out of his front wheel rim, he pretty much messed up my car with it. There was a cop station right there, cops had seen it all, came immediately - truck driver no license, no insurance and drunk. Still we both had to go to the station as he INSISTED on continuing his journey due to the fact he had loaded shrimps which might spoil! Easy deal - i was in-and-out within minutes, as the cops themselves were withnesses (however that's spelt!) and i was clearly right. My first-class insurance paid for my car damage and got it back off the guy's company (owner of the truck).

Two weeks later, again i was turning right but this time out of a soi onto a main road. Now i was watching the traffic on the opposite side (the one i wanted to get to), no traffic (traffic had to come from left). On the side i had to cross the traffic was supposed to come from right, and there was none either. So i started to pull out.

Heard a screaming engine closing in very fast, followed by a huge BANG. And was hit ON THE LEFT by a speeding motorbike!

Now this motorbike HAD NO LIGHTS (not "not working" but none physically on the bike! And it was night!), came on the wrong side of the road, way too fast, didn't even attempt to slow down... reason: Driver drunk (again....) And same spiel - bike not insured (no license plate), driver no license, drunk etc. Just this time - no withnesses at all.

I called my insurance, they sent a guy. Cops came also, alerted by some driver on the road. Ambulance too. The guy was lucky as heck - altough his bike was pretty much destroyed (as was the left front side of my car) he had flown clean over the car and landed in the bushes on the side of the road, practically unhurt! Still he was brought to a nearby hospital. Meantime my insurance guy negotiating with the cops, they determined from the damage that the guy must have done 100+ KM/h when he hit me...... the guy came back, by taxi (!) from the hospital, with a bandage on his right leg. Drunk as he was he talked the cops into the fact that he couldn't work for "a month" and that i had to pay him!

In the end indeed i had to pay - only 3.000 Baht after some negotiations between that guy and my insurance guy, however why the heck did i have to pay at all? He was:

- drunk

- no insurance

- no driving license

- bike not registered

- no lights at night

- driving on the wrong side of the road

- speeding

While i was:

- a farang.

Morale of the story: Should that ever happen again, and my car is still driveable regardless how damaged, i'll drive off. Thais do it, too.

Best regards.....

Thanh

I had two accidents while living in Thailand, and both happened WITHIN TWO WEEKS about three years ago, with the car. First time i got rammed by a truck, i was turning right at an intersection and so was the truck to my left, he pulled to far and crashed my left side. As his vehicle had a bolt sticking out of his front wheel rim, he pretty much messed up my car with it. There was a cop station right there, cops had seen it all, came immediately - truck driver no license, no insurance and drunk. Still we both had to go to the station as he INSISTED on continuing his journey due to the fact he had loaded shrimps which might spoil! Easy deal - i was in-and-out within minutes, as the cops themselves were withnesses (however that's spelt!) and i was clearly right. My first-class insurance paid for my car damage and got it back off the guy's company (owner of the truck).

Two weeks later, again i was turning right but this time out of a soi onto a main road. Now i was watching the traffic on the opposite side (the one i wanted to get to), no traffic (traffic had to come from left). On the side i had to cross the traffic was supposed to come from right, and there was none either. So i started to pull out.

Heard a screaming engine closing in very fast, followed by a huge BANG. And was hit ON THE LEFT by a speeding motorbike!

Now this motorbike HAD NO LIGHTS (not "not working" but none physically on the bike! And it was night!), came on the wrong side of the road, way too fast, didn't even attempt to slow down... reason: Driver drunk (again....) And same spiel - bike not insured (no license plate), driver no license, drunk etc. Just this time - no withnesses at all.

I called my insurance, they sent a guy. Cops came also, alerted by some driver on the road. Ambulance too. The guy was lucky as heck - altough his bike was pretty much destroyed (as was the left front side of my car) he had flown clean over the car and landed in the bushes on the side of the road, practically unhurt! Still he was brought to a nearby hospital. Meantime my insurance guy negotiating with the cops, they determined from the damage that the guy must have done 100+ KM/h when he hit me...... the guy came back, by taxi (!) from the hospital, with a bandage on his right leg. Drunk as he was he talked the cops into the fact that he couldn't work for "a month" and that i had to pay him!

In the end indeed i had to pay - only 3.000 Baht after some negotiations between that guy and my insurance guy, however why the heck did i have to pay at all? He was:

- drunk

- no insurance

- no driving license

- bike not registered

- no lights at night

- speeding

While i was:

- a farang.

Morale of the story: Should that ever happen again, and my car is still driveable regardless how damaged, i'll drive off. Thais do it, too.

Best regards.....

Thanh

OH YES. Excellantly written, most informative, and, IMO you did the right thing. We're guests for Gods sake. Good on ya.

- drunk

- no insurance

- no driving license

- bike not registered

- no lights at night

- speeding

While i was:

- a farang.

Best regards.....

Thanh

OH YES. Excellantly written, most informative, and, IMO you did the right thing. We're guests for Gods sake. Good on ya.

An addendum; 'cos I missed something!

I've just seen that you wrote that you'd "drive off".

And the guy lands in the concrete and is dead?

Please retract previous compliment and substitute xxxx well, whatever really.

happy days

I always enjoy these "the farang always pay" stories. My Thai husband was making a right hand turn into our driveway, with his indicator on when a farang drove into the side of the truck as my husband was turning. Lucky for the farang he flew into bushes and was unhurt. His reasoning? He thought my husband was overtaking the motorbike in front of him and thought he would overtake my husband's truck at the same time.

Outcome? Police called and my husband had to pay for half the damages to his own truck or see his truck impounded pending an investigation since the farang refused to pay for the total damage.

I had an accident about 5 years ago.

I’m certain I was not in the wrong.

I was on Petchaburi road, in the right hand lane, turning right into an office building car park when a mini-van driver decided he was going to overtake me at the same time.

I took photos immediately after the accident.

Back at the police station I was told that I was in the wrong because I was the one making the traffic maneuver.

I pointed out the van was driving the wrong way in a bus lane while attempting to over take me which is also a manover.

The Boss of the Van company came along, the police gave him a nice big wai. Then I was told I should pay because the van had no insurance.

I told them I am not wrong and I am confident I can prove that.

This discussion went back and forth each time my photographs showed on way or another that the Van drive had been telling a little porkie.

The police didn’t want to make the decision of who was right or wrong. They were taking kick backs from the Van company to operate illegally in that area while at the same time I maintained that I was not in the wrong, it was a tricky one for them. We were referred to the head office, they looked at the car and made the decision that we are each responsible for our own part of the accident. I was told that as I had insurance and the other van didn’t and that this was the best solution as my insurance will pay for me, but not the van. I accepted this.

We had to go back to the police station the next morning to get the insurance document signed, while there the van driver wanted to change is story again. The police man stud up, shouted at him and kicked him out of the police station (after taking 400B procession fee off him). I gave over my 400B processing fee, the policeman shook my hand and told me it had been a very interesting case and that while is created a headache for him and more work, he respected my decision not to accept blame (this would have been the normal Thai way, accept blame quickly, go home for tea, insurance deals with the rest).

I left after an interesting incident, feeling as though I’d learned something about Thailand, seeing a side of things that one wouldn’t normally see. I also left with the feeling that sometimes a situation can be sticky but even in a situation like this the police can be as independent as possible. I have a relatively powerful friend who works in the police force at no point did I feel the need to involve him and cause potential embarrassment for those policemen who through out the proceedings never once postured to intimidate me or force my decision to suit their situation.

I left feeling ok about the event and with no fear that the system is against westerners, the system just likes to decide the simplest way to deal with things is to let the wealthier party cover the costs of an unfortunate event.

SBK,

My friends girlfriend had a very similar incident – She’s a Thai lady, and the motorbike driver demanded money off her. She called the police – at first the police said she should pay the guy. She refused. It ended up without her having to pay. If in the a similar circumstance I would also refuse to pay and be quite happy to politely maintain that point with the police. I think the outcome is often not the difference between right and wrong, its often just whatever the easiest decision to make. i.e. Poorer Vs not as Poor… (who appears that they would be hit less by the cost takes or is given the blame).

Edited by richard_smith237

I had an accident about 5 years ago.

I'm certain I was not in the wrong.

I was on Petchaburi road, in the right hand lane, turning right into an office building car park when a mini-van driver decided he was going to overtake me at the same time.

I took photos immediately after the accident.

Back at the police station I was told that I was in the wrong because I was the one making the traffic maneuver.

I pointed out the van was driving the wrong way in a bus lane while attempting to over take me which is also a manover.

The Boss of the Van company came along, the police gave him a nice big wai. Then I was told I should pay because the van had no insurance.

I told them I am not wrong and I am confident I can prove that.

This discussion went back and forth each time my photographs showed on way or another that the Van drive had been telling a little porkie.

The police didn't want to make the decision of who was right or wrong. They were taking kick backs from the Van company to operate illegally in that area while at the same time I maintained that I was not in the wrong, it was a tricky one for them. We were referred to the head office, they looked at the car and made the decision that we are each responsible for our own part of the accident. I was told that as I had insurance and the other van didn't and that this was the best solution as my insurance will pay for me, but not the van. I accepted this.

We had to go back to the police station the next morning to get the insurance document signed, while there the van driver wanted to change is story again. The police man stud up, shouted at him and kicked him out of the police station (after taking 400B procession fee off him). I gave over my 400B processing fee, the policeman shook my hand and told me it had been a very interesting case and that while is created a headache for him and more work, he respected my decision not to accept blame (this would have been the normal Thai way, accept blame quickly, go home for tea, insurance deals with the rest).

I left after an interesting incident, feeling as though I'd learned something about Thailand, seeing a side of things that one wouldn't normally see. I also left with the feeling that sometimes a situation can be sticky but even in a situation like this the police can be as independent as possible. I have a relatively powerful friend who works in the police force at no point did I feel the need to involve him and cause potential embarrassment for those policemen who through out the proceedings never once postured to intimidate me or force my decision to suit their situation.

I left feeling ok about the event and with no fear that the system is against westerners, the system just likes to decide the simplest way to deal with things is to let the wealthier party cover the costs of an unfortunate event.

SBK,

My friends girlfriend had a very similar incident – She's a Thai lady, and the motorbike driver demanded money off her. She called the police – at first the police said she should pay the guy. She refused. It ended up without her having to pay. If in the a similar circumstance I would also refuse to pay and be quite happy to politely maintain that point with the police. I think the outcome is often not the difference between right and wrong, its often just whatever the easiest decision to make. i.e. Poorer Vs not as Poor… (who appears that they would be hit less by the cost takes or is given the blame).

I have to say that, in my very limited experience, this is one of the best postings I've seen. COMPROMISE

That's the way to do it.

Get a grip guys !!

Mate, I don't wish to rattle your cage too much but how long have you been an expat?

1. You're living in somebody elses country. It's not yours. You're a visitor.

2. If you try to apply "your" rules and conditions you'll just end up with ulcers.

3. Relax, go with the flow, and look at all the positives of being allowed to be here as a guest.

4. You have absolutely no right to "insist" on anything. You are a guest.

5. I dare say others will shoot me down but the art of surviving and enjoying the expat life IMO is to "go with the flow".

6. Rattling a bit harder now :D Why do teachers think they're special? Could be a new topic?

pip pip

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes and no. Item six on your list I don't agree with. Don't know why you think ajarns are special. :o Understand i'm a guest, different rules, always go with the flow, don't insist on anything and know i have zero rights here. My Thai wife and her family are still in shock over the policeman's attitude. My policy is bend with the breeze or break. I knew as soon as the accident happened that I would get the blame. Why did I stop then? Because I'm a compasionate human being. I wanted to make sure no one was hurt. If it had been my fault I would have taken the girl and her bike to the shop to be fixed. No need for police.

Although we're guest and rules are different, we should be entitled to some basic human rights like inoccent until proven guilty, a fair trial, etc. If we don't have these and it's not because of racism, then what would you say the reason is?

On a positive note, i'm getting private insurance for the bike which I already have on my car. If I cause an accident then i'll stop and let the insurance co deal with it. If someone hits me then i'm not stopping. They can pay for thier own repairs. I'll claim off my insurance for a hit and run to get my repairs paid for.