New Cabinet Appointed

george

You seem to be missing the point. When confronted with a scenario that without a doubt proves their position wrong, they avoid answering. That in itself is not bad as many find it difficult to admit error. But to continue to market a clearly flawed position is a bit absurd.

You don't seem have to taken in my last post.I don't know how to make it any easier to understand.In words of as few syllables as possible then, there is nothing involved in seeing the junta as a disaster that means one has an attachment to this current government.In the same way of course there is nothing involved in disliking Thaksin's pernicious influence that makes one attached to the junta.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By that logic Thailand had one disaster after another. Samak, Surayud, Thaksin, Chuan II, Chavalit, Banharn - how far back are you willing to go? You'll probably stop on Anand (and he was installed after the coup).

Surayud and Chuan look like the best of the bunch.

These are the first signs and first steps at regaining control and threatening the media. It will not be tolerated very long. Dangerous recipe when you have a PM responsible for rallying people for rioting and killing on a radio show in 1976 and a kamikaze young politician ready to do ANYTHING for the master in exile only to boost his carreer.

Jakaprob knows his own flaws and arrogance and TRT/PPP is pretty well the only environment where he can survive and perform.

He's just as toxic as Thaksin, worse by far than any other PPP cabinet member.

n10-095.jpg

Jakaprob is second from right. Currently the spokesperson for the prime minister's office.

Newly appointed and Jakaprob is already making a personal and threatening phone calls to a radio station.

The whole country will have to follow his orders, just wait and see.

I said it before, I'll say it again, this guy is very dangerous. He has already shown that violence is an option to get his way.

Actually, this guy alone deserves his own thread.

Chirmsak stops hosting radio talk following threat

Former Bangkok senator Chirmsak Pinthong Wednesday gave up hosting in his daily radio talk show after he criticised Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej for allegedly covering up the Thammasat University massacre of October 6, 1976.

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, who supervises the Public Relations Department, telephoned production house Fatima Co to give notice that he might not extend its airtime contract, a company source said.

The explanation given was that the show's content had to be adjusted to match the new programming schedule, the source said. :D

The company asked Chirmsak about Jakrapob's reason. (Death? :o) He understood the situation by withdrawing as a radio host, the source said.

"Chirmsak's Views" was broadcast from 89pm on FM105, which is under the PRD.

The Nation

It's starting to look nasty.

Chirmsak Pinthong did nothing wrong - other than to attempt to correct Samak's blatant and deliberate lies about 6 October 1976.

Samak has no shame. He's nothing more than a mafia capo.

Rhetorical question - how come the Thai people aren't demonstrating on the streets now against this brazen and flagrant suppression of free speech?

What more proof of government interference in freech speech do they require?

Street resistance against this monstrous Samak and his gung-ho - thug-filled government can't be more than a few months away. Hopefully!

My position is complex because although I strongly believe the coup was a dreadful mistake, I also fear and dislike Thaksinite meglomania.I dislike mob rule.I prefer civilised leaders like Abhisit, Korn, Chuan and am generally more comfortable with civilised people of this stamp.

oh dear, I actually agree with all that is in Italics. :o

Pity that the democrats ran an ordinary campaign. Even given the high levels of PPP patronage, I think the democrats could have done better if they got out there a little more.

My position is complex because although I strongly believe the coup was a dreadful mistake, I also fear and dislike Thaksinite meglomania.I dislike mob rule.I prefer civilised leaders like Abhisit, Korn, Chuan and am generally more comfortable with civilised people of this stamp.

Pity that the democrats ran an ordinary campaign. Even given the high levels of PPP patronage, I think the democrats could have done better if they got out there a little more.

The Democrats rested on their laurels believing wrongly that the CNS would pull something out of the bag.

They thought - stupidly - that the CNS would deliver to them on a platter. And they didn't!

As a consequence - even though the CNS did their damndest to prevent a PPP victory - we've now got bully boy Samak and his mafia cohorts - with slimeball Thaksin waiting in the wings - waiting to avenge!

Deny...deny... deny... and then deny some more.... and then defer to the "invisible hand syndrome"... with the little added twist this time around, that it's plural and not singular...

Jakrapob in denial

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair yesterday denied he pressured a radio production firm to sack Chirmsak Pinthong as its talk-show host. But his denial was rejected by the former Senator yesterday.

Jakrapob said neither he nor anyone in the Cabinet ordered the production house Fatima to remove Chirmsak as host of the programme. He said it was not government policy.

"I can't leave this [without further action]. I want to know who is behind the scene [in this decision]," he said. "I will tell the Public Relations Department Chief to call the company [Fatima] to hold a press briefing to explain the case in order to prevent other matters that might be happen in the future."

Jakrapob claimed there were "invisible hands" who wanted to slander the government.

However, he admitted he was not surprised by the decision to remove Chirmsak. "We have no need to do this. I am not a Chirmsak fan and I believe everyone knows Chirmsak's character. So, we have to let him go his way."

Jakrapob said he had no policy against media outlets or people in the media who criticised the government. His goal was just for people to receive "good service" from the media. He would set up a committee to evaluate the state's media work, he said.

Chirmsak countered the minister by saying the production house told him to step down after receiving a telephone call from Jakrapob.

He believed the reaction by Jakrapob came from the book written by Veera Musigapong, parts of which he read outloud on his talk show on Tuesday. The book said Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej had distorted the truth about the killing of student protesters at Thammasat University in October 1976.

The Thai Journalists Association will discuss the case concerning Chirmsak today.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

You seem a little apologetic for agreeing with my position.Nevertheless I'm always pleased when someone signs up to liberal and civilised values.However I'm afraid it is not possible (in fact it is intellectually and morally incoherent) to subscribe to these and somehow make an exception of the coup and its perpetrators.The coup was a shameful affront to decency and democratic progress, and is at least partly responsible for the dreadful state we find ourselves.People like Abhisit and Korn actually recognise this, and not just because of the puppet government's astonishing record of incompetence.

TRT policies to be revived

Ministers vow to reintroduce debt suspension for farmers, village fund, low-cost PCs and mega-projects

Education Minister Somchai Wongsawat would implement the "one million computer" project, the Income Contingent Loan (ICL) and scholarships.

Other old projects of the defunct Thai Rak Thai would be revived, including the "one tambon, one doctor and two nurses" project - and the student loan programme.

- The Nation

Call for ICL scheme to be streamlined before revival

The Income Contingent Loan scheme should not be revived until its lending criteria are streamlined and there is a guarantee it will not be scrapped again in the future, said a leading academic. Somkiat Tangkitvanich, Director of the Thailand Development Research Institute's (TDRI) research, said the government should not rush to bring back the ICL scheme unless the technical and management shortcomings are straightened out. The programme was suspended by the previous government as it was plagued with defaults. Mr Somkiat said financial security was essential in preventing the fund from becoming a financial burden on the state. The scheme, which was launched by the Thaksin Shinawatra government, ran into budget constraints. He added that the government should spend the next two years revamping the ICL before resurrecting it.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/15Feb2008_news06.php

Related threads:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=69170&st=

Educational Scholarship Programs Are A Mess, Corruption is the rule

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...=100948&hl=

60,000 Thais To Be Sued, Loan Jumpers

Jakrapob accused of meddling

Former Bangkok Senator Chirmsak Pinthong yesterday accused PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair of pulling the strings behind the closure of a radio show he presented. Jakrapob denied the allegations and challenged Mr Chirmsak to back up his claims with evidence. One day after the Chirmsak's Viewpoints program was shut down, Mr Chirmsak said he was informed of the forced closure from an executive of Fatima Broadcasting shortly after a phone call to the radio station from Jakrapob. The executive quoted Jakrapob as saying that he would not allow the Public Relations Dept., which owns the station, to extend the contract with Fatima radio because some programs had inappropriate content, according to Mr Chirmsak. The show was axed after airing evidence to counter claims by PM Samak that only one demonstrator died during the Oct 6, 1976 uprising made during a recent CNN interview. Mr Chirmsak said he was worried that the media might operate a system of self-censorship to prevent the risk of losing their businesses. Executives were due to hold a press conference to clarify the issue yesterday, but it was cancelled. The Thai Broadcast Journalists Association will

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/15Feb2008_news10.php

You seem a little apologetic for agreeing with my position.Nevertheless I'm always pleased when someone signs up to liberal and civilised values.However I'm afraid it is not possible (in fact it is intellectually and morally incoherent) to subscribe to these and somehow make an exception of the coup and its perpetrators.The coup was a shameful affront to decency and democratic progress, and is at least partly responsible for the dreadful state we find ourselves.People like Abhisit and Korn actually recognise this, and not just because of the puppet government's astonishing record of incompetence.

I wasn't intending to be aplogetic, I just think you articulated my long held (Thai) political preferences. I'm extremely disappointed with the Democrats for being limp as wet lettuce, having said all that.

I'm a pragmatist. I know my views aren't consistent - I look forward to the day that they are. As a general rule I'm not in favour of coups. Even (if you are an Australian) the dismissal of Gough Whitlam by the governor general was unacceptable, given the Australian political system had other non-regal 'relase' mechanisms to run.

I wouldn't have agreed with the Thai coup if it was bloody, entirely self interested, and unseating someone who was actually a true democrat doing their best for the nation. Thaksin was none of these things, and the coup wasn't a vehicle for soley promoting the militarys self interest. There was a stalemate, and the political process was deadlocked, and had been for at least a year or more. Thaksin was dragging out elections and rigging them, and the democrats were boycotting them as a result. We were going nowhere. I wish parliament was disolved and the subsquent elections were administered by a independent third party (the UN plus ASEAN maybe?). But it wasn't, so thats academic. For me the coup was a success as it acted as a circut breaker from the situation we were in.

The fact that I was partial to the interim government had much to do with me admiring the people they bought into the administration. I knew (and admired) people who knew the PM and some of his ministers. I respected their word back in November 2006 when they said that the PM was there for a year, and no more. The PM more or less kept his promise. I liked the fact that the ministers were competent. I liked the fact that most of them were above reproach, and that the resigned their commissions mostly due to trivial conflicts which would have been ignored in the 'business as usual' game of Thai politics.

The fact that the word on the grapevine was that most ministers didn't want to be there, and actually were doing it for the country and King, actually endered me more to the government (cue the 'West Wing' theme music - Jed Barlett walks in stage right).

So that is my position. Entirely inconsistent I know, though you may be suprised that I did support these elections, and the result, even though I don't really like it. I'll watch with morbid fascination, with a heavy heart as the clowns from the PPP make a right royal mess of things. I'll pray to buddah, god and allah and sing with the hare krisha's that Abhisits 'innovative' shadow cabinet ministers start laying punches on their PPP counterparts. I hope, pray, but mainly cry.

post-9005-1203076742_thumb.jpg

London Eye

Chalerm to propose BMA to build observation wheel like London Eye

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Friday that he would propose the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to build a tall observation wheel in the capital like the famous London Eye.

Chalerm, who oversees the BMA, said he would soon hold a meeting with BMA executives and would propose the idea and would offer to seek a budget for it.

He said Rajburana district would be a perfect location for the construction.

London Eye is the world's highest observation wheel which allows tourist to ride in space age capsules holding 25 people each. The wheel is 135 metres high.

- The Nation

=======================================================

Perhaps they could have it run and maintained at Siam City Park... they have a good rep for this sort of thing.

post-9005-1203076742_thumb.jpg

London Eye

Chalerm to propose BMA to build observation wheel like London Eye

Interior Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung said Friday that he would propose the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration to build a tall observation wheel in the capital like the famous London Eye.

Chalerm, who oversees the BMA, said he would soon hold a meeting with BMA executives and would propose the idea and would offer to seek a budget for it.

He said Rajburana district would be a perfect location for the construction.

London Eye is the world's highest observation wheel which allows tourist to ride in space age capsules holding 25 people each. The wheel is 135 metres high.

- The Nation

But John, if they built it in Bangkok, you wouldn't be able to see the sights of London, even from the top ? ! :o

Someone please tell him it's not in Interior Minister's job description, unless he intends to watch misbehaving citizens instead of sights.

And there's a ferry's wheel just like that in Minburi already, not far from Suan Siam, it's called "Wonderworld" or something and it's not yet operational.

But another one, on the opposite, western side in Rajburana, will complement it better. You need one in the north and one in the south, too.

Interesting article found, oddly enough, in the Motoring section of the Bangkok Post...

Fumbling on...

I hope most of you have recovered your senses after being traumatised by the names and curriculum vitae of cabinet members in the new government. It's going to be difficult to predict how the economy will turn out because doctors and nurses are sitting as all-powerful ministers and deputies at the Finance Ministry. Needless to say that the national economy functions in a way different from human physiology. It is nothing short of a nightmare and far from reality. I am certain that many CEOs of automotive companies and in the industrial sector are deeply disappointed and are at a lack of words to express their thoughts. Moving on to management of the energy sector - a vital cog in the government machinery, and that includes the automobile industry - the results are as despicable as at the Finance Ministry if you take into account knowledge and experience of the individual in charge. Other ministries have been dealt a similar fate.

In my lifetime I have never seen a government cabinet as pathetic as this one. This cabinet could actually qualify as the worst and end up in the Guinness Book of Records. This honour, negative as it sounds, also has its merits: it should discourage future cabinets from following suit. The ministers have argued "why not wait six months and see the results" before making any criticism. In return let me ask: if they're passengers on a bus and their driver, without a valid license, is asked to steer the vehicle over treacherous mountain roads. Assuming they were late in knowing the driver's bonafides, would they still stick with the driver or find a replacement?

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Motoring/15Feb2008_motor008.php

I wasn't intending to be aplogetic, I just think you articulated my long held (Thai) political preferences. I'm extremely disappointed with the Democrats for being limp as wet lettuce, having said all tha

I see exactly where you are coming from and think your position is entirely sensible.What I particularly like about what you say is the note of reasonableness.I don't however really buy the "king and country" motivation you ascribe to the junta and its government, not because that's not what they believed but because it ignores the underlying forces behind - the moving political tectonic plates if you like.Remember "king and country" is a meaningless kind of slogan.The desperately sad memory of millions of young soldiers who perished in the trenches in WW1 thought it was all about "king and country" and the wicked Kaiser (a Thaksin substitute figure now I come to think of it).Now of course we, or at least anyone who studies history, know it wasn't really about this at all but a far deeper power struggle.So it was and is in Thailand.

Having said that, although I hold the coup makers in contempt and believe the generals involved disgraced their uniforms, I recognise that the regime it engendered was reasonably benign.However do remember that the hard line figures were frustrated in their attempts to impose a far more authoritarian set up.I think one has to give credit to Surayud for his passive resistance to the uglier elements in the junta.I also recognise there were many decent people who served and concur, from my own personal contacts, that many were desperate to restore democracy so they could get out.Realistically I suppose part of this was due to the realisation that any initial support for the coup was evaporating rapidly.At some time I question the statement that ministers were competent:some weren't including those responsible for economic management.

And so we come back to the heart of the problem, the damage done by unseating Thaksin the way it happened.The Bangkok middle class needs to think long and hard about the lessons to be learnt about this episode including the hard reality that the elite have no right of veto over the majority.

THAILAND: Popular radio broadcaster knocked off the air

New York, February 15, 2008—The Committee to Protect Journalists is concerned about recent news reports that Thai radio broadcaster Chirmsak Pinthong’s popular talk news program has been cancelled.

Chirmsak told local reporters that his program was cancelled after Jakrapob Penkair, a minister in the prime minister’s office, called FM 105 station’s concession holder, Fatima Broadcasting International Co., and requested that they remove the program known as “Chirmsak’s Viewpoints” from the station, which is owned by the state-run Public Relations Department.

Private concessionaires in Thailand produce news programs for state-owned radio and television stations. Previous Thai governments have regularly censored broadcasts through concession holders, often threatening not to renew their contracts, which are usually granted on a one- or two-year renewable basis.

The cancellation of the program comes just days after the prime minister’s office announced plans to establish a task force to monitor news balance on state-owned broadcast media. The Thai government and military currently own all of Thailand’s estimated 525 radio frequencies.

“We call upon the government to respond to these allegations and explain the reasons for the removal of the radio program,” said Joel Simon, CPJ’s Executive Director. “We are concerned that the allegations sound similar to the intimidation tactics previous Thai governments have used to stifle media criticism of their administrations.”

According to local news reports, the new government took offense at Chirmsak’s on-the-air refutation of Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej’s claim in a recent CNN television interview that only one person was killed during a controversial government crackdown on pro-democracy student demonstrators on October 6, 1976.

Chirmsak referred to independent accounts saying that at least 41 students were killed in the violence. Samak had broadcast a right-wing radio campaign against the student activists prior to the crackdown, according to the BBC.

Jakrapob has publicly denied allegations that he or any government official ordered the removal of Chirmsak’s program from the air, saying that censorship “is not government policy.” He blamed “invisible hands” who are attempting to discredit the government for stirring the controversy, according to Bangkok-based The Nation daily newspaper.

- Committee to Protect Journalists News Alert

The Nation, Sat, February 16, 2008 : Last updated 8:24 hours

They think we're from another planet

Since its first day in power, this new government has been overwhelming us with its fantastic new ideas to turn this country into a developed, world force. Some of these ideas are so big that the Thai press has been calling them "Aphi Maha Projects". "Aphi Maha" does not simply translate as "mega" but "enormously mega". Awesome indeed. Published on February 16, 2008

There is something for everyone, be it trains, tunnels or eucalyptus trees.

Some critics complain about the costs involved, but what do they honestly know in comparison to the new ministers, who have collectively accumulated more degrees in political science and law than anyone in the newspapers.

The Thai newspapers of late, having been trying to catch up with so many of these project festivities, have had problems squeezing in all their reports. With all this intrigue, I remembered, just yesterday, an extremely vivid dream I had a few years back. This dream was set in another world: Planet Thakland.

Once upon a time, on Planet Thakland, the party in power decided to build a railway track so long that it went to the planet's north pole. Boring lacklustre staff were not allowed to work on board. There was a former TV presenter who worked as the tour guide, a financial leader who side-lined as the on-board nurse, and the planet's charismatic leader worked as executive chef.

Along the first part of the line were planted a couple of million previously unknown varieties of trees. They were not there to simply enhance the landscape, but to be cut down and made into an innovative new fuel. In the event of any unrest on Planet Thakland, trees by the thousands could be felled and made into sheets of coloured paper before being folded by schoolchildren to look like little doves of peace and then tossed from planes over rebel areas.

It was rumoured that only two people would benefit from this campaign: one of the leader's brothers, who owned the local pulp factory, and another leader who would sign the contract and get a 10-per-cent commission.

For locals around the forest who were worried about being killed in the event of an enormous fire, their fears could be laid to rest: a whole fleet of un-used fire engines had, decades ago, been imported from a distant planet.

After the forest, the railway line passed over a once-beautiful river that had turned from being a sanctuary for fish and wildlife into a dump for factories to spew out their toxic and chemical waste. Most of these factories were run by local politicians and their big-shot buddies. One day, it was disclosed to the planet's public that the owner of a polluting pig farm near the railway line was the brother-in-law of one the planet's leaders. Distraught at having been found out by a local reporter, the owner was saved by his in-law, who quickly implemented a new environmental policy: all pig waste would be recycled and used to fertilise all the funny-looking trees. The in-law, tired with such policy-making, was compensated for his time and energy in the form of a 10 per cent sales commission.

Further on up the dream railway line was a glorious new temple with a huge meditation arena. The mastermind behind this fabulous project was none other than the culture minister, whose degree was in engineering. The free labour force that built the thing was made up of delinquent technical-college students who had been charged with illegal racing their motorbikes on public streets, and radical university students who didn't agree with the planet's leaders.

One day, the students, not happy at having to work for free, complained that a previous party's idea of building racing circuits for them had never materialised. They were told to shut up and get on with it, first by their boss, the education minister, and secondly by a son of the interior minister who had vast experience in clamping down on lo-so types. Most important of all though, brainwashed previously politically active students could now be controlled. This followed an awful incident in the year 7619 when student protesters and nation-loving vigilantes had clashed. One student had died.

The arena was used by the resident monks to practice Vipassana meditation, but also by the planet's beloved leaders to organise mega meetings to inform the masses about their latest ideas. There was no problem with parking space, as a huge underground car-park had been built beneath the complex.

Once a year, the planet's leader could use the place for a back-to-the-roots reality show, in which he could prove how much of a country boy he really was. The stadium, with its built-in race track, could be used by the leader to zoom around on a motorbike wearing no helmet. It was envisaged that one day the arena may even host an Earth-like Olympic Games or even alien football matches.

Getting to the stadium was a piece of cake; besides the dream railway, eight-lane roads had been built. Unfortunately, for the poor villagers, the roads didn't serve much use; they were built directly past land owned by influential leaders. Before the roads, the land had been quite worthless. The son of one leader, who owned a big construction firm, was delighted at winning the road-building contract and didn't mind having to pay any broker a 10 per cent commission.

Tourism was promoted on Planet Thakland and the leaders established a unique programme to entice the cr่me-de-la-cr่me - VIRAs (Very Important Rich Aliens) - to the planet. Members of this elite, for the small fee of a million or so alien banknotes, could stay at VIRA golf courses, and could buy and do almost whatever they wanted on the planet. Unknown to these aliens however, the planet's leaders had to cut down pristine forest and kick out folk who had been living there for generations.

The greatest benefit of all for these VIRAs was the opportunity to sail past smiling immigration officials, who handed back their passports and didn't simply throw them back across the desk. The planet's leaders had once sent these immigration officials on a three-month courtesy and etiquette course … but alas.

It was doubtful that anyone would ever find out the truth about the planet's real leader though. Nicknamed "Big Brother" it was rumoured that he was the one in charge of the great party and was pulling all the political strings. No one ever saw him though, but according to reliable sources he resided in a neighbouring world called Planet Chong Wong.

Stephen Cleary

The Nation

They also ( Big mistake IMHO ) think everyones :D

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

Country to stay on democratic course, says Thai Foreign Minister

Bangkok: Thailand will stay on the democratic course after the election of a new government following the 2006 coup, new Thai Foreign Affairs Minister Noppadon Pattama told foreign envoys here.

"After a brief pause, Thailand has returned to democratic rule. The people have spoken loud and clear," Noppadon, who assumed office last week, told members of the diplomatic corps at a reception he hosted for them at the foreign ministry last evening.

"There is no substitution for democracy and the rule of law. Following last year's general election, which were accepted by all independent observers as free and fair, Thailand now has in place a new government which enjoys broad popular support," he added.

"The new Thai government's foreign policy will focus on regaining international confidence after the September 19, 2006 coup d'etat. Our message is simple...we are back on track. We are ready to strengthen our ties and collaboration with you. We will play our part as a responsible member of the international community," the minister said.

Before being appointed Foreign Minister, Noppadon was a legal adviser to former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

- UNI

Country to stay on democratic course, says Thai Foreign Minister

Bangkok: Thailand will stay on the democratic course after the election of a new government following the 2006 coup, new Thai Foreign Affairs Minister Noppadon Pattama told foreign envoys here.

"After a brief pause, Thailand has returned to democratic rule. The people have spoken loud and clear," Noppadon, who assumed office last week, told members of the diplomatic corps at a reception he hosted for them at the foreign ministry last evening.

"There is no substitution for democracy and the rule of law. Following last year's general election, which were accepted by all independent observers as free and fair, Thailand now has in place a new government which enjoys broad popular support," he added.

"The new Thai government's foreign policy will focus on regaining international confidence after the September 19, 2006 coup d'etat. Our message is simple...we are back on track. We are ready to strengthen our ties and collaboration with you. We will play our part as a responsible member of the international community," the minister said.

Before being appointed Foreign Minister, Noppadon was a legal adviser to former Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

- UNI

Of course those uber democrats in the EU and US will swallow this whole democracy charade, while PPP go about intimdating the media and stacking the electoral commission, civil service, army, police and judicary. Then in 2 years time, they'll turn around throughly suprised and issue a 'stern warning' to Thailand that it ain't as democratic as it should be.

Of course those uber democrats in the EU and US will swallow this whole democracy charade, while PPP go about intimdating the media and stacking the electoral commission, civil service, army, police and judicary. Then in 2 years time, they'll turn around throughly suprised and issue a 'stern warning' to Thailand that it ain't as democratic as it should be.

It is an absolute tradgedy how transperant the manipulations and trangressions are in Thai politics & what makes it a bitter pill to swallow is the voting electorate buying the BS hook, line & sinker.

That said: If the electorate consider it democratic - unfortunately the rest of the world has to sit back & accept that sentiment on face value.

One of the negative side effects of the establishment of the military dictatorship is that it gives any politician who can get votes by any method the moral high ground of democracy.....if the people have the choice between a bad democracy and a military dictatorship they will chose the bad democracy....better that they have a bad democracy and at some point they have a choice between a bad democracy and a good democracy....the key to moving in this direction is education....until voters are educated they will continue to vote for what they think is their self interest not knowing that there is a better way....better and more education is needed...is there any other way?

chownah

Media join forces for a free press

Six media organisations united yesterday to stave off the prospect of government interference in the media by issuing a joint statement which makes note of the absence of a guarantee of media freedom from the government policies due to be announced on Monday. The joint statement was issued by the National Press Council of Thailand, the Confederation of Thai Journalists, the Thai Journalists Association, the Thai Broadcast Journalists Association, the Provincial Journalists Association of Thailand, and the Thailand Cable Television Association. The organisations were baffled as to why the government devoted only two lines to describe its policies towards the media. The government stated that it would allow the public to receive information from the state and other public media outlets in a broad, correct, fair and swift manner.

But there was no mention in the policy platform of any form of a guarantee of media independence. Many media professionals have become worried over a pledge by PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, who is set to order the management of state-owned media channels to ensure a balanced coverage in their programs. Media groups are closely watching a spat involving Jakrapob and outspoken former Senator Chirmsak Pinthong, who complained after the radio program he hosted was recently taken off the air.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/16Feb2008_news02.php

The adversary of all this force-joining media...

160208_news14.jpg

Prime Minister's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair, shown here as a leader of last year's anti-coup protests at Sanam Luang, has said he would examine all government-run media to see if they are neutral.

Bangkok Post

PM's Office Minister Jakrapob Penkair - assigned by PM Samak to supervise the Public Relations Department (PRD) and MCOT, which runs TV channels 11 and 9 - remarked that he would examine all government-run media to see if they are neutral, and within one month would be able to say how he would deal with the PRD, MCOT, and the newly created Thai PBS.

Jakrapob said that he would also give direction to the satellite TV and community radio operators, and would push for the emergence of a National Broadcasting Commission, which despite being mandated by the 1997 constitution was never a priority under the Thaksin I and II administrations. Jakrapob was one of 8 core leaders of the United Front of Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD), and led a protest march that turned rowdy and Jakrapob was arrested and jailed for several days, before being granted bail. He was also an executive of PTV, a satellite TV channel which was blocked.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/16Feb2008_news90.php

Edited by sriracha john