Can My G/f Get A Tourist Visa

Can anyone tell me what the chances are of my girlfriend getting a tourist visa to visit the UK? I know everyone thinks that their circumstances are different but mine are a bit unusual (I think lol)

I met a bar girl when I was in Thailand in July. I am planning to live in Thailand with her when I sell my house, which is now on the market.

I met her in Patong, Phuket. The negative points are that we only stayed together for 6 days before I returned home, and that we met in the bar where she worked. So, for the visa application, we’re going to say that we knew each other for 2 weeks and that we met in the hairdresser’s where she worked. Only 2 lies, the rest is true. I realise that they wouldn’t want to know if they knew she had previously worked in a bar!

The good points are that she has gone to stay with her 10 year old daughter and parents at her parent’s home in Jomthong, about one hour outside Bangkok as she has stopped working now, obviously. She has no job now but doesn’t need one as I support her now while I wait for my house to sell. I provide her with money via a nationwide cash card, which is the best way to get money to her without ANY (no transaction charges, either way) costs apart from sending the card to her.

MY EVIDENCE

I phone her landline (via 18866) sometimes around 2.00am before I go to bed for about an hour, and always about 4.00pm for at least an hour every day since I came home on 31st July, so I have online itemised bills, which I can print out as proof of our calls.

We have a few emails but I prefer to phone her, so no letters sent by post either. The phone calls should be more important, I think.

I have about 75 digital photos of her and us together.

I have 5 estate agents agreements to prove that I am trying selling my house.

I have a friend living in Patong for a year now having apartments built, hopefully I intend to do the same.

I’m self employed and work from my home, so she can be with me all day while I work, when I do.

I can afford to take care of her while she stays with me as I have sufficient money in my building society account

I own my home, well, apart from the bit belonging to the building society! Lol

I will put money in the nationwide account for her airfare when needed.

She has her daughter to return for.

The plan is that she comes here for a visit and hopefully my house will be sold before her 6 month visa expires, so we can return to los together.

Any idea what the chances of getting a visa will be?

Phil

The negative points are that we only stayed together for 6 days before I returned home, and that we met in the bar where she worked. So, for the visa application, we’re going to say that we knew each other for 2 weeks and that we met in the hairdresser’s where she worked. Only 2 lies, the rest is true. I realise that they wouldn’t want to know if they knew she had previously worked in a bar!

Well, yes, those are pretty bad points from the angle of obtaining a tourist visa for the UK, as is the risk of being caught out with a lie.

From my experience in getting a UK tourist visa for my (Thai) wife, the clearance officer is mostly interested in two things:

1. How long have you known each other? This would be in total since you met her. If you met her this July, only 2 months ago, I doubt that it would be seen as long enough for a 'stable' relationship. Be careful about lies, they can see your passport stamps as easily as you can.

2. Is there strong evidence that she will return to Thailand at the end of the visa? Here, again, you seem to be in some difficulty. If she isn't working, the clearance officer will want to see some good evidence that she will return, especially as you don't work in Thailand. You can point to the fact that she has close family ties and a child in Thailand, but it's better IMO for her to show evidence of a job or studies to return to. Get as much paperwork together as you can.

Lastly, if you're going to try for a visitor's visa for her, try to be in Thailand to make the application with her if you can - try to avoid her getting an interview on her own where she may say something inconsistent with the application and get refused. Make sure she does not look anything like a bargirl, dress well and speak and act politely.

Some good advice there Paully. He'd be bound to face rejection given such a short period of acquaintance. Another trip back here for Phil and building up a better relationship history is the way to go. The Embassy staff are good at discovering any ' porkie pies ' and that'll lead to a permanent stopper on a visa for her.

The good points are that she has gone to stay with her 10 year old daughter and parents at her parent’s home in Jomthong, about one hour outside Bangkok as she has stopped working now, obviously.

I seriously doubt that the burden of proof will be on her side for a return to Thailand and any lies now could come back later on even if not found out immediately. The above town name strikes me as very close sounding to a well known/infamous spot called Jomtien just South of Pattaya; but that would be two hours from Bangkok so perhaps I am wrong?

Know that you don't want to hear this but I would do some serious thinking about what you are about to get yourself into. Seldom do we see the truth when viewing through rose colored glasses. Take your time. :o

If you go ahead with the application and decide to tell a couple of "white" lies then make sure they are watertight. All it takes is a few pertinent questions from the visa officer to expose them. Once an applicant is shown to be lying he/she will definitely not get the visa and for a non-family visit application there is no right of appeal.

Selling your house is not in itself evidence that you intend to accompany your g/f back to Thailand. From the visa officer's perspective you may be selling it solely in order to buy another one. Furthermore, if they want to be really cynical they might suggest that you have only put it on the market for the purposes of getting your g/f a visa and that as soon as she gets one you'll withdraw it from sale. Additionally, even if the visa officer accepts that you're selling your house for the purpose of going to Thailand that is no proof that your g/f will go with you.

Sorry to be so negative, but for those whose circumstances are similar to your g/f's it is very difficult to get a visit visa.

Scouse.

If you go ahead with the application and decide to tell a couple of "white" lies then make sure they are watertight. All it takes is a few pertinent questions from the visa officer to expose them. Once an applicant is shown to be lying he/she will definitely not get the visa and for a non-family visit application there is no right of appeal.

Selling your house is not in itself evidence that you intend to accompany your g/f back to Thailand. From the visa officer's perspective you may be selling it solely in order to buy another one. Furthermore, if they want to be really cynical they might suggest that you have only put it on the market for the purposes of getting your g/f a visa and that as soon as she gets one you'll withdraw it from sale. Additionally, even if the visa officer accepts that you're selling your house for the purpose of going to Thailand that is no proof that your g/f will go with you.

Sorry to be so negative, but for those whose circumstances are similar to your g/f's it is very difficult to get a visit visa.

Scouse.

Maybe a good idea to have some time that they have known each other?? Is six months good or a year?

Scouse.

Maybe a good idea to have some time that they have known each other?? Is six months good or a year?

There is no stipulation as to how long the applicant and sponsor need to have known each other but the longer the better. The applicant is expected to have a sound knowledge of the sponsor's circumstances and family etc.

Scouse.

Scouse.

There is no stipulation as to how long the applicant and sponsor need to have known each other but the longer the better. The applicant is expected to have a sound knowledge of the sponsor's circumstances and family etc.

Scouse.

But Scouse, you'd have to agree that this one is on the wrong side of probability outcome favourable to the applicant.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dr pat pong,

you said quote,,

"The applicant is expected to have a sound knowledge of the sponsor's circumstances and family etc."

Can yuou please tell me what info am I expected to know?

Should this info be in my sponsor letter? As I will not be going to the Embassy with my g/f, she will go alone

thanks in advance

Phil

"The applicant is expected to have a sound knowledge of the sponsor's circumstances and family etc."

It is likely that your g/f would be given a full interview. In this interview the visa officer will establish how much she knows about you. This will be done by asking her a series of questions. For example:-

1. What's your boyfriend's name?

2. What's his date of birth?

3. Does he have a middle name and what is it?

4. Has he been married before?

5. When did he divorce?

6. Does he have any children?

7. What sex are they and how old?

8. Does he have any brothers/sisters?

9. How old are they?

10. What job does he do?

11. Where in the UK does he live?

12. How big is his house?

13. Does he own it/rent it?

14. Does anyone else live with him?

15. Does he have any pets?

Etc., etc., etc. This list is not exhaustive as some additional questions may be raised by your g/f's responses. When I worked as a visa officer I reckoned on about 40-50 questions per interview: roast 'em over the coals.

Anyway, should your g/f have less than an encyclopaedic knowledge of you and either get the answers wrong or say "don't know" to the above questions then the visa officer will ask himself why your g/f wishes to visit you when she knows SFA about you and conclude that the visit is bogus. Ergo, she must have a thorough knowledge of your circumstances. Possessing this knowledge is not, in itself, sufficient for her to get the visa as she would still have to show that she has a good enough reason to return to Thailand at the end of her holiday.

Best of luck,

Scouse.

It is likely that your g/f would be given a full interview. In this interview the visa officer will establish how much she knows about you. This will be done by asking her a series of questions. For example:-

<Snip>

8. Does he have any brothers/sisters?

9. How old are they?

<Snip>

Anyway, should your g/f have less than an encyclopaedic knowledge of you and either get the answers wrong or say "don't know" to the above questions then the visa officer will ask himself why your g/f wishes to visit you when she knows SFA about you and conclude that the visit is bogus.

Ye gods! I've only a vague idea of my brother-in-law and sister-in-law's ages, but I didn't realise I knew 'sweet FA' about my wife. Mind you, we've only been married for five and a half years.