Burning Man 2008

inf

Anybody on this forum heading there this summer?

http://www.burningman.com

Anyone has experiences with previous years' Burning Man?

It's in the middle of the desert, so how did you get there? Rent a car, and bring your own tent? Go with friends' car?

You bring back some great memories. I used to live in Winnemucca, Nevada a long time ago and used to attend the Burning Man festival. That was back when it was unorganized, free, and fun. Now it is nothing more than a temporary theme park set up in the northern Nevada desert, designed to soak you out of as much money as possible. My advice - never go. HOWEVER, if you're hel_l-bent on going there, then fly to Reno and rent a car. Travel across I-80 to (uh-oh, memory failing . . . ) state highway 95? No, that's to Paradise Valley, and Burning Man is before that. ANYWAY, someone will tell you. Be sure to load up on everything you need, because once you pay the entrance fee, you cannot leave . . . unless yo want to pay the entrance fee again. Years ago, the Burning Man meant something. NOw, it's just another excuse to make money off of new-age hippy mystics.

Anybody on this forum heading there this summer?

http://www.burningman.com

Anyone has experiences with previous years' Burning Man?

It's in the middle of the desert, so how did you get there? Rent a car, and bring your own tent? Go with friends' car?

You bring back some great memories. I used to live in Winnemucca, Nevada a long time ago and used to attend the Burning Man festival. That was back when it was unorganized, free, and fun. Now it is nothing more than a temporary theme park set up in the northern Nevada desert, designed to soak you out of as much money as possible. My advice - never go. HOWEVER, if you're hel_l-bent on going there, then fly to Reno and rent a car. Travel across I-80 to (uh-oh, memory failing . . . ) state highway 95? No, that's to Paradise Valley, and Burning Man is before that. ANYWAY, someone will tell you. Be sure to load up on everything you need, because once you pay the entrance fee, you cannot leave . . . unless yo want to pay the entrance fee again. Years ago, the Burning Man meant something. NOw, it's just another excuse to make money off of new-age hippy mystics.

Wang,

Some distant relatives of mine go there, every year.

What do people do there?

What's it about?

What's it about?

In the dim and distant past, there was a man who lost everything. As a last ditch effort to shed his past and start anew, he chucked all his belongings into a trailer and went out to the Black Rock Desert in Nevada. There, he and a group of close friends took that man's belongings, built a funeral pyre, and burnt his past life, leaving him clean to start again. This small group liked the idea, and, by word of mouth, it spread. The rules were simple: you had to be male, you had to want to start a new life, and you had to be willing to share your past with strangers. My first trip was way back in the 9os, when I lost my job, wife, and house all in the same year. I joined a group of people out there, and shared my story. We burnt our past belongings and went out to start again. Oh, an aside . . . it's caled burning man because you burnt your past. Some of us combined stuff and shaped it into a man shape (a bit more symbolic). It was great! Of course, once you start your new life, you have no need to go back to Burning Man. Unfortunately, promoters found out about this and turned it into a new-age festival. There's no starting over, there's no male bonding, there's no nothing. In the beginning, there was no fee because Burning Man was on public land (land in the US owned by US citizens). Now you pay. Before, it was a chance to start new and get support from those doing the same thing. Now it's nothing more than spending money on stuff you can buy in any mall.

be sure to get an airtight tent- motorhome....when the schirroco's (desert sandstorm) & there are many according to my brother that lives in reno. last year they rented a motorhome(his 3rd burningman) & he said it was so worth it. Have fun- Let us know how it was this year!

be sure to get an airtight tent- motorhome....when the schirroco's (desert sandstorm) & there are many according to my brother that lives in reno. last year they rented a motorhome(his 3rd burningman) & he said it was so worth it. Have fun- Let us know how it was this year!

Ahh, the life as a "Burner!" I can remember cleaning out that powder sugar type dust from my truck two years after my first "burn" in 2004. We always took two tents each, one for supplies and one for sleeping and the like. It's an easy enough journey from Reno (about 4 hours West of San Francisco where it all started) up Interstate 80 and on to the Blackrock Desert. The BIGGEST item is the WATER! One never seems to have enough, the other thing is the eye goggles for the dust storms..they can and have lasted for days! Cuts down on sunburn because everyone is indoors. :o Check out the website (www.burningman.com) as it is a wealth of information. Once a "burner," you will never be quite the same.

Thanks, guys.

Since money is my main weak point - I have lots of time to go anywhere, but it has to be on the cheap - I probably won't be going after all. Too bad it's so far out in a place without any amenities. But then I guess that's one of the points of the event.