Can You Use The 'thai' Line At Immigration If U Have Thai Work Permit?

buddhafly

with a thai work permit book, can a farang use one of the thai lines at immigration?

:o Basically, No. It is for those with Thai passports. In January, however when I arrived, because there were long lines and the Thai line was empty, the immigration officers were moving Farangs over into the Thai passport line to cut down the amount of people in line.

:D

I think the general idea is that they are for Thai passport holders. That said, like others, I've been directed to use on occasion when there are long lines. I always use the Thai line when with my (Thai) wife, seems acceptable.

I think the general idea is that they are for Thai passport holders. That said, like others, I've been directed to use on occasion when there are long lines. I always use the Thai line when with my (Thai) wife, seems acceptable.

Technicallyspeaking, it's for Thai passport holders, not unless directed otherwise.In Singapore, there is a line for Singaporean and Residents, apparently, theres no such thing in Thailand

Generally not, unless directed to do so as others have said.

I do get my wife through with me though if she is with me. She has a spousal visa for Thailand, so no worries for her to come though.

The other night after a long delayed flight and arrival, I walked straight up to the empty set of Thai lines (whereas the foreign ones were 10 deep), and had an immigration lady run up to me and say "mis-ter, no use Thai line" ( I don't look Thai). I flashed the brown book, and got a "kor tort, kah". And was in a taxi 5 minutes later. Makes up for having to use the non-EU plebs line when hitting Europe.

In Singapore, there is a line for Singaporean and Residents, apparently, theres no such thing in Thailand

I'm pretty sure if you are a proper Thai resident book holder going through the thai line is no issue.

with a thai work permit book, can a farang use one of the thai lines at immigration?

As many have already said "Thai PASSPORT only".

I would also presume that the desks for Thai passport processing are not setup with the stamps like the foreigner and diplomat/official lanes are(preset for 15, 30, 90 days).So jumping in this lane would only occur if "specially" opened to curb long queues etc....

It seems the custom is that as long as you are traveling with one Thai passport holder, you are permitted to use the Thai lines, as when myself, my son, and a friend all went through the US lines (while my wife waited on the other side, as she went through the Thai line very quickly), they told us we should all go through the Thai lines. I guess they prefer that your party stick together. So the moral is, just make sure you travel with a Thai person, or make really good friends with one on the airplane! :o

It seems the custom is that as long as you are traveling with one Thai passport holder, you are permitted to use the Thai lines, as when myself, my son, and a friend all went through the US lines (while my wife waited on the other side, as she went through the Thai line very quickly), they told us we should all go through the Thai lines. I guess they prefer that your party stick together. So the moral is, just make sure you travel with a Thai person, or make really good friends with one on the airplane! :o

was this really the case???because I always travel with my Thai wife, but I dont dare to queu together with her even though (I looked like Thai), because I dont want to be turned away...But sometimes, she can persuade the Thai passport immigration counter to cleared me esp if were catching a final boarding announcement

was this really the case???because I always travel with my Thai wife, but I dont dare to queu together with her even though (I looked like Thai), because I dont want to be turned away...But sometimes, she can persuade the Thai passport immigration counter to cleared me esp if were catching a final boarding announcement

Me and my Thai wife uses the Thai line several times a year, and there is only smiles from the officials.

What about those with A permanent residency in Thailand... No benefit there?

Seems that those who pay lot of taxes here and based here should have some privelege.

I have permanent residence and always make a point of using the Thai line, usually much quicker.

Never had a problem in 4 years

Farang line and Thai line. If you aren't Thai, you are out of luck. (course if you are directed to that line by the powers that be then no problem)

To more accurate....thai line, "foreigner" line, diplomat/official line.

And the VIP terminal (for those of you with Gulfstream 550s) :o

What about those with A permanent residency in Thailand... No benefit there?

Seems that those who pay lot of taxes here and based here should have some privelege.

I have permanent residence and always make a point of using the Thai line, usually much quicker.

Never had a problem in 4 years

My experience also.In practice I normally use foreigner line if roughly equal in length and only resort to Thai line when foreigner queue is very long.Other friends with PR always use Thai line and none ever report a problem.In fact I think it is expected for PR holders to use Thai line.

I think they know what airlines are directed to each queue 'cos of the baggage claim carousel allocation so they know that if a couple of 'plane loads have arrived from say England then the Thais will clear Immigration quickly and then they can open up the Thai lanes to foreigners.

To increase the odds that you'll get directed to the empty Thai lane always queue in the foreigner lane that's adjacent to a Thai lane.

It also helps having a kid with you.

Like many others, I try the Thai line every time I travel with my Thai wife. We have always been successful. I have tried it alone once and failed, and also I tried it when travelling on business with a Thai employee. He didn't have confidence and so we were refused then. I've been successful entering and leaving the country. So this is standard Thailand fare: it is disallowed but with near-zero enforcement, and so at the end of the day it comes down to your confidence, your persuasiveness, and your luck.

Furthermore, my wife and I successfully entered the United States in the US citizen line exactly the same way. We only tried it once, and it worked, so we're batting 1000. That was in Atlanta.

As a general rule, these are the three shortcuts I use to get through the Thai airport faster.

1. Get a economy ticket but check in at the first-class counter anyway. Often the first class desk is empty and the person there is happy to help things move along faster.
  2. Use the Thai passport lines for immigration
  3. Upon arrival, get your bags and then walk to departures (upstairs) and jump in any of the zillions of free taxis.

Hope that helps!

Edited by jhs

I have never had a problem using Thai line when with Thai wife on entry. On exit did have one officer note my passport was not Thai and I said "yes - but the other 2 are" and he processed all.

It used to be the same in US - wife was allowed to use citizen/green card line if with me. But after 9/11 that seemed to change (at least at SEA) and was not allowed. Strongly feel families should be processed together.

I have gone through the Thai line alone, though I did get a dirty look and a grilling in Thai. With wife always easy

Leaving the coutry, I have been pointed to the diplomatic line when my flight time is getting close.

on a related note, they do have 3 immigration sections for arrival open at most times, so if one is packed, the other is usally empty. Just keep walking a bit.

There is the small door in between the two which was normally reserved for flight crew, however in the last few weeks the doors have been open and I have been flying through there with no wait.

I have gone through the Thai line alone, though I did get a dirty look and a grilling in Thai. With wife always easy

Leaving the coutry, I have been pointed to the diplomatic line when my flight time is getting close.

on a related note, they do have 3 immigration sections for arrival open at most times, so if one is packed, the other is usally empty. Just keep walking a bit.

There is the small door in between the two which was normally reserved for flight crew, however in the last few weeks the doors have been open and I have been flying through there with no wait.

What door? Where? Details pleeeeaaaase.

What door? Where? Details pleeeeaaaase.

It is exactly halfway inbetween the two big immigration pens. It is a single or double door and normally used for flight crews.

But latly it has been open for all who can figure it out.