Daily Expenses

RueFang

I just want to get a general idea of how much people pay on a daily (or weekly) basis living in Bangkok. I'm not talking about house bills like water, electricity etc, I mean the daily money for food, transport, etc. I know it will vary a lot due to income, but would like to get a general idea. Do people eat out all the time because it's so cheap or still go grocery shopping?!

Cheers

How long is a piece of string? Your expenditure depends on lifestyle as much as income. If you work then there is eight or so hours a day five days a week out of circulation with respect to spending. How close you live to your work site dictates how much travel costs will be as will how often and how far you travel for pleasure. How often do you go out at night is another very significant factor as is the type of entertainment you go for. Do you drink and/or smoke? As for eating are you happy eating at roadside vendor stalls or do you prefer a/c restaurants? Do you eat mainly Thai food or do you go regularly to western restaurants.

The list is almost endless and you'll have to give some pointers as to your lifestyle before any meaningfull reply can be given. without that the answer will be "somewhere between 50 and 5000 Baht per day".

Yesterday, i spent around 100 baht for a coffee and bagel for breakfast. I drove to work, so no taxi or BTS fare. A couple of hundred baht for lunch, and then I stayed in last night, so it was a cheap day.

I usually withdraw around 10,000 every Saturday morning. Usually that is more than enough for the full week, including extra costs such as filling the car etc.

Yesterday, i spent around 100 baht for a coffee and bagel for breakfast. I drove to work, so no taxi or BTS fare. A couple of hundred baht for lunch, and then I stayed in last night, so it was a cheap day.

I usually withdraw around 10,000 every Saturday morning. Usually that is more than enough for the full week, including extra costs such as filling the car etc.

You spent 100 baht for a coffee and bagel! Throwing money around like that will encourage the locals to think that we're all a bunch of over rich care free spenders. Please try to think of the rest of us when you splash out so extravagantly.

Rather than take out 10k a week the Mrs gives me 1,000 baht on Monday mornings (if I've behaved myself), and I daren't ask for another baht before the week's out.

You spent 100 baht for a coffee and bagel! Throwing money around like that will encourage the locals to think that we're all a bunch of over rich care free spenders. Please try to think of the rest of us when you splash out so extravagantly.

Rather than take out 10k a week the Mrs gives me 1,000 baht on Monday mornings (if I've behaved myself), and I daren't ask for another baht before the week's out.

Well, since I also spent over 100 baht for a coffee and croissant yesterday and the 10 people in line with me were Thai and fellow office workers, I don't worry too much about them thinking I'm a carefree spender.

Your perception of Thailand is jaded by your obvious location and who you associate with.

TH

OK, OK, I'll resist the urge to tell you what it's like to enjoy the economical living of upcountry, 60 baht a day for food, 10 baht a day for motorcycle gas, 50 baht for a movie.....I'll just keep the secret to myself.... :o

I'll tell............. 240 Baht a day.

Doesn't sound like a lot, but that is as much as I can drink at 40 Baht a bottle :D :D

I agree, 100 baht for a coffee and bagel is extravagant. Why, I could have a beer and 25 baht change at the local!

OK, OK, I'll resist the urge to tell you what it's like to enjoy the economical living of upcountry, 60 baht a day for food, 10 baht a day for motorcycle gas, 50 baht for a movie.....I'll just keep the secret to myself.... :o

I'm living in a remote village so it's no secret to me :D although I pay 20 baht for petrol not 10 baht! We don't get movies so I guess I save on that too. I'm trying to prepare myself for the shock of going from spending 0-100 baht a day to spending 500 to ??? per day. The skytrain's pretty expensive right?!

Dude, even in Chiang Mai the cost for renting a movie is just 10 baht :D

Well, since I also spent over 100 baht for a coffee and croissant yesterday and the 10 people in line with me were Thai and fellow office workers, I don't worry too much about them thinking I'm a carefree spender.

Your perception of Thailand is jaded by your obvious location and who you associate with.

TH

Where did that come from? What location, & who do I obviously associate with?

You're probably one of these maniacs that regularly spend 50 baht on renting the latest DVDs...

I agree, 100 baht for a coffee and bagel is extravagant. Why, I could have a beer and 25 baht change at the local!

75 baht for a beer? I can only afford Leo on the street stands at 40 baht for a big one (free ice). I'm obviously going to the wrong places and mixing with the wrong people.

my coffee and danish cost me 180 baht in starbucks this morning ,and yes there were more thai's than westerners in there

unbelievable - I bought a can o Birdy and a custard bun for 20 baht.

Spending what many earn in day for a coffee is outrageous :o

I strongly object to this ostentatious flaunting of wealth on a public forum, it's bragging no less - spending 100 baht on a bagel and a cup of coffee indeed, have you no shame!

HAHAHA! Calm down mate. I thought it sounded quite resonable! Au Bon Pain perhaps Mr Bendix? You should try their cheese bagel with bacon and egg, I have it virtually every day, it's delicious!! With coffee and delivery charge: 150Baht. Not too bad...

Edited by ashacat

TH

Where did that come from? What location, & who do I obviously associate with?

You're probably one of these maniacs that regularly spend 50 baht on renting the latest DVDs...

How many working middle class Thais do you know and associate with every day that easily afford a 100 baht coffee?

Nah, don't think I have ever rented a DVD. Pretty much stick to my plantium UBC package, when I actually have time to watch TV. Buy a few, but never rent, can't remember how much I pay for them though.

:o

TH

75 baht for a beer? I can only afford Leo on the street stands at 40 baht for a big one (free ice). I'm obviously going to the wrong places and mixing with the wrong people.

75 baht is when I am on my extravagant Fridays and Saturdays out, nice surroundings and Big Screen rugby and cricket on.

Other days its 740 baht for 24 cans, out of my fridge, served by the ugly mug I see in the mirror. :o

BTW, when I first came to BKK years ago, I did the usual businessman / touristy thing and went to those hotel places where a beer sets you back 280 baht, live band in attendance. I can't se myself doing that anymore - haven't been to one of those places in ages.

Just like it was when we used to live in the US, I think it costs about the same on average for us to dine in (counting grocery costs) or eat out at basic restaurants, excluding the "fancy" places we'd go when we felt like doing something unusual. That is, considering a similar diet in either case. Don't try comparing some freeze-dried noodles from the store versus a lobster dinner out on the town...

I don't think living in Bangkok really requires more food expenditures but it provides more opportunities if your heart desires a high-spending lifestyle. As others in this thread, I think my main extra food expenses would be coffees, beers, and some other western treats. But I work from my home office and find the craving isn't high enough to go out and get such things during the week.

I think my wife's work commute would be about 200 baht/day by taxi, but she usually joins a car-pool on the way home, so it's often half that. You can get most of the way across town for 100 baht at the right times, or just barely across the river during rush hour.

I strongly object to this ostentatious flaunting of wealth on a public forum, it's bragging no less - spending 100 baht on a bagel and a cup of coffee indeed, have you no shame!

HAHAHA! Calm down mate. I thought it sounded quite resonable! Au Bon Pain perhaps Mr Bendix? You should try their cheese bagel with bacon and egg, I have it virtually every day, it's delicious!! With coffee and delivery charge: 150Baht. Not too bad...

Oh, the horror of it all - and delivery as well, this is all way OTT!

Dude, even in Chiang Mai the cost for renting a movie is just 10 baht :D

Nooooo, Dude!

That's 50 baht to go to a REAL theater, and to sit down in a SOFT seat, and watch a REAL movie on a BIG screen with 300 Thais all talking on their cell phones! :D

Bacon and egg breakfast bagel on a cheese jalapeno bagel with coffee - 95 baht from ABP, yes. And, for the record, 95% of the custom in that branch is thai office workers.

Bacon and egg breakfast bagel on a cheese jalapeno bagel with coffee - 95 baht from ABP, yes.

Mug of instant coffee, 2 slices of bread with butter and jam. Cost - who cares?

Money saved - lots of beer on the weekend!

To each his own.

I'm living in a remote village so it's no secret to me :D although I pay 20 baht for petrol not 10 baht! We don't get movies so I guess I save on that too. I'm trying to prepare myself for the shock of going from spending 0-100 baht a day to spending 500 to ??? per day. The skytrain's pretty expensive right?!

Hi RueFang,

Actually the skytrain is one of the cheapest and quickest modes of transport in my opinion. An adult monthly 30 trip pass is 600bt - so each trip works out at 20bt. Alternatively, you can 'pay as you go' and depending on how many stations you go past, can vary between 10 and 40bt.

Obviously it depends on where you live etc, what kind of transport you will take and if you do, how often you use the skytrain etc...

I'm sure you know Bangkok in rush hour but it's worth testing and seeing what it is like to get to your workplace - it can be SO different between NON-Rush hour and Rush hour times! :D

Other than that, as others have said, it's really up to you. Depending on if you eat breakfast at home, then luch with colleagues and dinner at home/with friends in a restuarant/with your partner in a restaurant/rely on take out etc etc!

You can eat food in Food Courts or restaurants alone or communal with colleagues/friends - again theprice will vary depending on location - this plays such a big part in prices! The Food Court on the 7th floor of MBK is cheaper than, say,(Rice and 2 choices of toppings = 35bt) Whereas, the food court on the 5th Floor at Emporium (Rice and 2 choices of toppings = 50bt). Of course, depends where you work and where you spend time!

Food Loft at Central ChitLom, huge selection but an Upmarket Food Court and prices therefore are raised accordingly.

Then you have delicious pizza like say, Limoncello on Sukhumvit Soi 11 - Pizza there would be between 200 and 300 bt, plus sharing a salad, maybe dessert and soft drinks, maybe coffee after....For 2 (we don;t drink), the bill could easily be 1300-2000bt.

Also depends on how often you drink tea/coffee etc... my Thai colleagues often bring in or stop off for a Starbucks/Au Bon Pain/Thai Coffee from a stall/stand on the way back from lunch or have an afternoon coffee run! :bah:

Also, prices will vary on where you shop for food... Local markets? Tops? TescoLotus, BigC, Villa? Emporium, Siam Paragorn, Central Grocery Stores? Again, sometimes it's hard to stick to a shopping list and your shopping 'budget' as Emporium etc have such scrummy, well presented food!

Gym membership fees? I gotta swim so often go after work to swim which is definitely worth the expense and also means I wish the worst of the rush hour! :D

Cinema? Again, depend on location - you can go from the most expensive (Paragorn) down to the Lido, Scala and Siam Theatres which are cheaper and often also show more independant foreign films not shown by SF Cinema, Major etc.

Hope that gives you a flavour....

Best of luck with your prospective move here and let us know if you need any other help. :D

Edited by Andiamo

I just want to get a general idea of how much people pay on a daily (or weekly) basis living in Bangkok. I'm not talking about house bills like water, electricity etc, I mean the daily money for food, transport, etc. I know it will vary a lot due to income, but would like to get a general idea. Do people eat out all the time because it's so cheap or still go grocery shopping?!

Cheers

Average is 10,000 a week.

Cook at home roughly 50-60% of the time. This includes shopping at Villa Market except for local fruit, veg, prawns and fish, which are much cheaper on the street. It also includes a maid one day a week.

Does not include massage or extra entertainment.

But when guests arrive, all goes out the window. Even when they contribute (which all do).

10,000 to 60,000 a week spending works well for me and the girl, but sometimes more depending on what events we have to go to during the week, and yes i know its alot.. But whatever. We entertain alot, eat out alot, travel, party ect we have driver, nice cars, full time maid staff, cooks ect... i consider it very cheap here, but i guess its all personal perspective compared to my 4,600 plus the girls 3800 a month rent in nyc, including no other expenses it a crazy good deal here for me we live much better here for a fraction than the 20k usd a month we spend in the nyc,

Hi RueFang,

Actually the skytrain is one of the cheapest and quickest modes of transport in my opinion. An adult monthly 30 trip pass is 600bt - so each trip works out at 20bt. Alternatively, you can 'pay as you go' and depending on how many stations you go past, can vary between 10 and 40bt.

Obviously it depends on where you live etc, what kind of transport you will take and if you do, how often you use the skytrain etc...

I'm sure you know Bangkok in rush hour but it's worth testing and seeing what it is like to get to your workplace - it can be SO different between NON-Rush hour and Rush hour times! :D

Other than that, as others have said, it's really up to you. Depending on if you eat breakfast at home, then luch with colleagues and dinner at home/with friends in a restuarant/with your partner in a restaurant/rely on take out etc etc!

You can eat food in Food Courts or restaurants alone or communal with colleagues/friends - again theprice will vary depending on location - this plays such a big part in prices! The Food Court on the 7th floor of MBK is cheaper than, say,(Rice and 2 choices of toppings = 35bt) Whereas, the food court on the 5th Floor at Emporium (Rice and 2 choices of toppings = 50bt). Of course, depends where you work and where you spend time!

Food Loft at Central ChitLom, huge selection but an Upmarket Food Court and prices therefore are raised accordingly.

Then you have delicious pizza like say, Limoncello on Sukhumvit Soi 11 - Pizza there would be between 200 and 300 bt, plus sharing a salad, maybe dessert and soft drinks, maybe coffee after....For 2 (we don;t drink), the bill could easily be 1300-2000bt.

Also depends on how often you drink tea/coffee etc... my Thai colleagues often bring in or stop off for a Starbucks/Au Bon Pain/Thai Coffee from a stall/stand on the way back from lunch or have an afternoon coffee run! :bah:

Also, prices will vary on where you shop for food... Local markets? Tops? TescoLotus, BigC, Villa? Emporium, Siam Paragorn, Central Grocery Stores? Again, sometimes it's hard to stick to a shopping list and your shopping 'budget' as Emporium etc have such scrummy, well presented food!

Gym membership fees? I gotta swim so often go after work to swim which is definitely worth the expense and also means I wish the worst of the rush hour! :D

Cinema? Again, depend on location - you can go from the most expensive (Paragorn) down to the Lido, Scala and Siam Theatres which are cheaper and often also show more independant foreign films not shown by SF Cinema, Major etc.

Best of luck with your prospective move here and let us know if you need any other help. :D

Well = let me see what my last weeks "expenditure were" - which I keep track of on my Computer. I tend be be quite "frugal" - therefore

Restaurant - 900

Food -1785

Miscell - 240

Computer - 300

Entertainment - I don't drink - but Lady co. every week -2600

Therefore well within my selfimposed "budget" of 7500/week

Hi RueFang,

Well = let me see what my last weeks "expenditure were" - which I keep track of on my Computer. I tend be be quite "frugal" - therefore

Restaurant - 900

Food -1785

Miscell - 240

Computer - 300

Entertainment - I don't drink - but Lady co. every week -2600

Therefore well within my selfimposed "budget" of 7500/week

I just wanted to thank the original poster for this thread. It gives me a good idea of how cheap it can be to live in Thailand if you are careful how much you spend.

Thanks for your comments. I don't think that 10 grand a week will be in my budget but interesting to read people's expenditures. Since I don't drink and don't need Lady Co., think I'll manage with a few grand less spending :o