Ip Addresses

Momo8

When I click in the 'Show IP' up the top lo and behold I'm in HK and can pinpoint the exact location as to where AND using Google earth can descend down my street and see my building.Scary stuff......so my question is this.

Can anyone else access this information from this site?How can someone find out your IP address and simply zoom in like I just have to where that person is? NOT that I want to do that just that can anyone else do that to me? Boy down to the actual street and top of my building!!!

From this site only admin can see your IP, and so drill down, if they so wished. In normal surfing you leave traces, such as your IP in logs of sites you visit, so if a site owner wishes to they could also find you. Sites such as Gibson Research will give you an idea what data a web site can see about you and ways to manage or reduce your 'leakage'.

Regards

PS In many cases the an IP address reconciles to a provider hub, so for example, my map location is an office centre in Bangkok, not my physical address.

Edited by A_Traveller

Correct, they could link it to your provider not to your actual location. As a matter of fact, if I would type this from my work address, it would be as if I was located in the US. But my workplace is in the Netherlands, I am just using a corporate network.