Floods And Flooding

stumonster

As these floodwaters proceed down river to the delta where bangkok stands.

where is bangkok goes underwater and how deep?

are there any maps which indicate the areas that will go underwater?

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/commo...55E1702,00.html

Heavy downpours during Thailand's monsoon season in the country's north and north-east have left 14 of the country's 76 provinces under water, the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department said.

Officials said 104,000 people had been affected, either left homeless, stranded or unable to work because of the high waters. Schools have been closed, houses left underwater and fields flooded.

Bangkok officials have set up a flood operations centre amid concern that parts of the nation's capital could also be submerged by the deluge.

Forecasters have predicted some of the heaviest rainfall for Thailand in recorded history with flooding already affecting more than half a million people in the kingdom during the past few months

I haven't seen any floods in Bangkok for a few years now. I wonder if they have finally sorted things out- I doubt it. Maybe I have just been in the right areas. I remember when I lived near the river in Oct 95. Wow,they were the worst floods I have seen. The newspaper then said that they were the worst for 200 years. Some guys I know said there was a worse one in the mid 80's. I was walking down Charin Sanit Wong near Pata Pinklao and I was up to my waist in some partsof the road nearer Rama 7 bridge.

I saw a flash flood in Siam Square, where the water was only about 1 foot deep but a group of motorcycle taxis were charging 5 baht to take office workers across one small road.

Down south of Suratanni gets some bad floods.

These are only the areas I have seen,off course there will be more.

The floods of 95 were caused by the river being at the highest level ever recorded and only seriously affected a block or two back on the East side. The West side was much worse with water extending to South bus station due to people breaking control walls.

Water is now very well controlled to flow around the city from North of Don Muang and we do not have the real underwater park that used to be Bangkok in the 70's and 80's (when upcountry water had to go through the city) and would stand for weeks.

There is always some flooding upcountry and that is a part of life here but I have seen no indication that rains this year are any worse then most other years and suspect this newspaper piece had more to do with pay than facts. But can understand why they prefer to write from here rather than Bangladesh. :o