Canadian shot on a songthaew in Chiang Mai

menostay

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And some tasked with covert ops, right?... :o

No Frotting, the Canadian government does not engage in covert operations in Thailand. There is one (1) permanent RCMP liason officer to facilitate investigations. The RCMP does not have a mandate for foreign spying or "covert ops" such as rendition of terror suspects or targeted assassination. CSIS, the Canadian intelligence service is precluded from overseas activity as well. The Canadian Supreme Court decision this week affirmed that.

Misterman21, if you are a UK citizen, then your statement on Canadian embassy staff

as " selfish, ignorant . . . . lazy parasites" is misplaced. If you have somehow paid for services not rendered, I suggest you should go to another forum section board and post your observations there rather than spitting up derogatory juvenile statements here about people that you obviously know nothing about.

No Frotting, the Canadian government does not engage in covert operations in Thailand. There is one (1) permanent RCMP liason officer to facilitate investigations. The RCMP does not have a mandate for foreign spying or "covert ops" such as rendition of terror suspects or targeted assassination. CSIS, the Canadian intelligence service is precluded from overseas activity as well. The Canadian Supreme Court decision this week affirmed that.

Misterman21, if you are a UK citizen, then your statement on Canadian embassy staff

as " selfish, ignorant . . . . lazy parasites" is misplaced. If you have somehow paid for services not rendered, I suggest you should go to another forum section board and post your observations there rather than spitting up derogatory juvenile statements here about people that you obviously know nothing about.

I was being ironic - however shouldnt you be busy doing your stuff rather than defending embassy staff on this forum. You protest too much!!!

Edited by misterman21

I think maybe Misterman was referring to the UK Embassies overseas and not the Canadians, who with the recent attacks on their citizens have at least been offering the best assistrance they can. I somehow don't think the Brits would do as much to help their own people here, they certainly don't in India, Africa or the Middle east, where they tend to 'party' till the small hours or get involved with 'hash house harry' runs, etc, when they're not busy spying that is... :D .. or maybe that's just their idea of good PR. And to the poster who implied 'sour grapes' - not on your life. Besides which, we're far too happy doing what we're doing. I just don't like seeing the British tax payer's money pissed against the wall. Anyway - well off topic now - sorry Moderators!!

No Frotting, the Canadian government does not engage in covert operations in Thailand. There is one (1) permanent RCMP liason officer to facilitate investigations. The RCMP does not have a mandate for foreign spying or "covert ops" such as rendition of terror suspects or targeted assassination.

Good thing too!

If they had more than one RCMP officer, they'd be roaming the Bangkok Airport looking for Poles to tazer to death. :o

If they had more than one RCMP officer, they'd be roaming the Bangkok Airport looking for Poles to tazer to death. :o

There are RCMP officers sent to Thailand to assist in such things as helping track foreign pedophiles. Canada is often the lead investigating nation on international child abuse rings and internet child pronography because it has set up a centralized tracking center. Canada regularly shares its knowledge with Thailand.

I do not see the relevance of the YVR taser mishap. If you wish to mention the taser incident, it would be appropriate to also mention that the autopsy did not identify the taser action as the cause of death. You also failed to mention that the video edited for worldwide consumption also showed him throwing a computer and small table at people. Add to the list of omissions the deceased had threatened unarmed customs and immigration agents and was a threat to the safety of the passengers as they tried to exit, which is why the police were called. When he was approached by the police he had a blunt object in his hand(which was later identified as a large stapler). He was asked several times to calm down. He resisted and struggled with the officers. It now turns out that the deceased may have been unresponsive to commands to calm down because he did not speak english. How are the police expected to know that when confronted with a big angry violent guy? They had to treat it as a worst case scenario.

The restraining holds combined with the deceased's agitated state and hyperventilation were implicated in the death. The man was apparently diabetic. Has the thought occurred to you that a combination of factors such has his physical condition led to his collapse when the 4 officers tried to bring him down and he fought back? While you're at it, why don't you look into the deceased's background in Poland and his mental illness history. My understanding is that he wasn't a model citizen. If someone wants to go psycho in an airport, this sort of thing will occur. Pull a stunt like this in BKK or any airport in the west and you'll most likely end up dead too.

Another unhappy person. Look, what is that you expect any foreign embassy staff to do? You do realize that they are constrained by the fact that they are guests in a sovereign nation, right? In this case, they responded to an injured tax paying citizen and provided assistance to her satisfaction. When someone travels, they need to understand that they have to function as if they are on their own and are subject to local laws and customs. If you can't handle the risk, then don't leave the country. If you make the decisions that involve exposure to danger, then accept the responsibility for your decisions.

Again, you do realize there are different types of staff at an embassy, right? Some are tasked to foreign trade, others to foreign development (which serves to sell Canadian goods and services) others are tasked to immigration and others deal with foreign affairs. Each group of workers has to work within the applicable rules and regulations that apply. If people are unhappy with immigration laws because a visa for a special "friend" was refused or the conduct of foreign affairs, take it up with the local MP since it is Parliament that makes the rules and regulations that the embassy staff follow. If people want deluxe service, then consider the costs and if the majority of taxpayers who will never go to Thailand, let alone leave the continent are willing to pay for it.

You sound like a typical civil service worker at a Canadian Embassy.

Let's get this straight. I can tell you first hand that any staff from Cdn EmbASSy are overpaid, uneducated gossipers that will only get involved to further their climb up the EmbASSy ho ladder.

They do get involved in all the wrong ways when the Cdn is "special" or when self-serving to their own needs which erases all lines that were created for what they can and can not do.

Like a drunk ambASSador's wife once told me, " we are only here to get "foreign" business into Canada and not to help Canadians overseas"--she continued to drink champagne at the Cdn tax payers' expense.

Get rid of Cdn EmbASSies and replace with email addresses -- you will get better service.

I've read nothing on this thread nor in the press to indicate that any investigation is taking place. All we have had from the Chiang Mai police are vague speculations that anyone anywhere in the world could have made.

It may be that an investigation is taking place without any press conferences. This would be unusual for Thailand but given the embarrassing nature of the crime for the tourism industry (high spending prestigious tourist gets shot) I suspect the authorities here have been instructed not to talk about this case and just hope it is forgotten about while mouthing platitudes and wai-ing any family members.

As I have said many times before, what do you expect from DFAIT, Canadian Embassy or Consulate assistance abroad. Untalented civil servants that should not be involved as they cause more problems than any good.What a waste of tax dollars! Get rid of DFAIT (Canadian Embassy staff) and replace it with an email address...you may get better service!

What a grossly offensive and ignorant post. It would appear that you have a grudge of some sort. My own experience with the embassy staff has been that they do the best that they can do within the limitations that they are foreigners with limited powers in another sovereign nation. They can no more go out and order and demand things of the local authorities than the Thai embassy staff can do in Canada. What they can do and have done to the victim's satisfaction is to provide assistance and support.

The foreign service staff are paid in accordance with Treasury Board pay agreements, which means that the staff are paid significantly less than people in the private sector doing work requiring the same level of education. Combined with severe budget limitations ,the staff complement reflects this. The result is that you get are alot of young people who's eagerness and willingness to assist is often rewarded by abuse and ingratitude by people who expect to receive beck and call service. If you have a complaint, take it up with the Liberal government that slashed the budget. If you are angry because there is no foreign service security or police representation as the other delegations have (e.g. French, UK, Russia, USA etc.) then go complain to the NDP that are vehemently opposed to such a presence. The embassy staffing is a reflection of the Canadian public sentiment which does not support foreign service activities. It's unfair to piss on the people that are doing the best they can do under austere working conditions.

aaa yeah...sure...do a google search on abuse by DFAIT and all the lawsuits against the civil servants that work there. Lazy and short on brain celled folk that are constantly getting sued for "illegal actions"...you sound like a civi butt kisser or are just one of the big butts that sits around all day at the Canadian EmbASSy doing nada...

You have to be kidding. Embassy workers are lazy and play the exemption game many times to cover this fat lazy butts.

Get rid of the EmbASSy and replace it with an email address -- you will get better service.

And this my civi comi 'geriatrickid'???

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/winnipeg/...86d&k=44505

The last 2 comments are indicative of someone with a grudge and a limited knowledge of the responsibilities of an embassy and the duties of workers attached to the embassy. Embassies can't help everyone. In this tragic case, the embassy responded to someone in true need and did a good job. There have been no complaints.

On the other hand, when I was last in the offices I nearly split my sides laughing at some chunky 50 year old guy ranting and raving because immigration had refused to issue a visa for the barely legal male he wanted to bring to Canada. The fellow left very angry. I don't think embassy staff would have been overly distressed if he had suffered a mysterious injury. :o

If you are really unhappy with Canadian government services you can picket the embassy.I'm sure that will get the message across. :D

It seems this has degenerated into a "Whining about the Canadian Embassy" thread that has nothing to do with the original topic. If you have a grudge against the embassy or it's staff, take it up with your elected official and/or the Department of Foreign Affairs.

There is a slightly better chance that someone who cares may actually read your gripe, as opposed to airing your grievances on a public forum. Not that you should expect any changes to happen in either case, as I'm sure it would take more than one unsatisfied customer with a grudge to shake things up.

Personally, I've only had to deal with the staff there twice. Once when I applied for a new passport, and then again when I picked up my shiny new passport 10 days later. No hassles, friendly staff, easy experience.

So, what was the OP again ? Oh right, the guy that got shot riding in a Song Thaew in Chiang Mai. Any word on his condition ? Is he out of the hospital ? Is the investigation closed and the whole affair written off as a tragic accident ? I guess Toxin's return has bumped most everything else off the radar for now. Ah well, I hope the poor fellow (that was shot, not Toxin) is doing better and not too put off on ever returning to LoS !

Getting back to the victim... he STILL remains hospitalized...

Long recovery for doctor in Thai hospital

Erik Griffioen's family hoped he would be home by now.

But Griffioen, who is a doctor at a Mississauga cancer clinic, is still recovering in a Thailand hospital, more than a month after being accidentally shot while riding in a taxi.

Griffioen's mother, Johanna Griffioen, said her son sustained a number of injuries and it will be a long road to recovery. She once thought it would only be a few weeks before her son was sent home. But doctors in Bankgok have discovered additional injuries and have decided to keep him in hospital for a longer period of time.

Johanna, who phones her son regularly, said she doesn't expect him home anytime soon.

Griffioen remains in the Thai hsopital's intensive care unit.

His mother said he sustained injuries to his liver and heart when he was shot Feb. 13.

According to police reports from Thailand, Griffioen was likely hit by a bird hunter's stray bullet. He underwent emergency surgery and is expected to survive.

Griffioen and his wife, Elizabeth Ling, were vacationing in Thailand and had just left their hotel in Chiang Mai, about 700 kilometres north of Bangkok, for a three-day elephant riding and hiking trek.

While riding in a taxi, Griffioen was hit by a .22-calibre bullet, police said.

Griffioen, who works at a cancer clinic in Mississauga, earned a PhD in physics at York University in 1993 and stayed on there as a research associate until 2001.

Foreign Affairs officials in Ottawa said the Canadian embassy in Bangkok and the consulate in Chiang Mai are helping the family.

The couple left Canada on Jan. 7 for Thailand. They travelled to Cambodia and Laos and arrived in Chiang Mai several days later.

- The Mississauga News

============================================================================

Former Kitchener man remain in a Thai hospital

A former Kitchener resident shot in northern Thailand remains in that country.

49 year old Erik Griffioen was travelling with his wife in February and was shot in the stomach while in a taxi about 700 kilometres north of Bangkok.

Thai police believe it may have been a stray bullet from a bird hunter.

570 news spoke to his mother Johanna Griffioen today who says her son's condition is up and down and she doesn't think he will be able to come home in the near future.

He is being treated at McCormick hospital in Chiang Mai.

His wife remains with him.

The couple had been on vacation in the area since January.

- 570 News