Traffic Ticket - Help Please

seahorse

I got pulled by a traffic cop this morning. I drove south down Pahonyothin Road (Bangkok) wanting to turn right at Victory Monument onto Rajavithi Road so I got into the rightmost lane as it has a right turn painted on the road. I stayed in this lane going round the roundabout as I couldn't get into the lane to my left because it was full of traffic stopped at a red light. So as the lights changed I indicated and moved over. This maneuver is apparently what the traffic cop had a problem with. I didn't offer him a bribe as I don't think I did anything wrong. I drew a diagram and explained it to him but he took my licence and gave me a ticket.

I am not happy about this as I don't see how else I could have got into the correct lane. Can I do anything about this? Is there a complaints procedure? I realize it might be time consuming etc but this pisses me off.

I have done a search but couldn't find anything.

I work right near this intersection and until recently took a taxi everyday. That cop is stationed there because SO MANY people do exactly what you did. So don't feel bad. You're not the first. They're just waiting for you to make the mistake so they can pull you over and get the bribe. In a one week stretch my taxi's were pulled over three times out of the five working days. On all but one occasion, the drivers just begged for forgiveness (no bribe given) and made the circle one more time to get into the right lanes. Perhaps you could have tried that, but in the end...you were in the wrong (according to their laws) and you have to pay the fine.

A most definitely illegal tip, but I learned this from a co-worker of mine. If you see a cop flag you down, and there is no traffic ahead, just wave hello, give a great big smile and keep on driving. They honestly don't know what to do. You can almost hear them saying "Does not compute. Does not compute."

I got pulled by a traffic cop this morning. I drove south down Pahonyothin Road (Bangkok) wanting to turn right at Victory Monument onto Rajavithi Road so I got into the rightmost lane as it has a right turn painted on the road. I stayed in this lane going round the roundabout as I couldn't get into the lane to my left because it was full of traffic stopped at a red light. So as the lights changed I indicated and moved over. This maneuver is apparently what the traffic cop had a problem with. I didn't offer him a bribe as I don't think I did anything wrong. I drew a diagram and explained it to him but he took my licence and gave me a ticket.

I am not happy about this as I don't see how else I could have got into the correct lane. Can I do anything about this? Is there a complaints procedure? I realize it might be time consuming etc but this pisses me off.

I have done a search but couldn't find anything.

You will probably pay a fine of 200 or 400 bath, don't worry... probably will happen again anyway... :o

Yes sir, you made an illegal manouver. You didnt move in the flow of traffic. Like it or not, thats the law which we have to abide by, along with all those other laws that the BIB make up on the spot, but hey, its all an interesting experience eh.

Yes sir, you made an illegal manouver. You didnt move in the flow of traffic. Like it or not, thats the law which we have to abide by...

I am interested in this case and would be grateful if you kindly scanned and posted the relevant section of the applicable law, or if you could give a link to the law on the Internet it would be even better.

--

Maestro

I got pulled by a traffic cop this morning. I drove south down Pahonyothin Road (Bangkok) wanting to turn right at Victory Monument onto Rajavithi Road so I got into the rightmost lane as it has a right turn painted on the road. I stayed in this lane going round the roundabout as I couldn't get into the lane to my left because it was full of traffic stopped at a red light. So as the lights changed I indicated and moved over. This maneuver is apparently what the traffic cop had a problem with...

post-21260-1203014467_thumb.png

I am not familiar with this roundabout and the roads leading to and from it. Let’s say Pahonyothin leading into the roundabout has 3 lanes. The traffic from all 3 lanes has no choice but to go into the roundabout. The only way to get out of the roundabout is with a left turn. Therefore, it makes no sense to mark one of the lanes leading into the roundabout with a right arrow.

Since you wanted to take the last exit from the roundabout – unless you wanted to return to Pahonlyothin – it made sense for you to drive on the rightmost lane into the roundabout.

Inside the roundabout, the road seems to have space for 8 cars side by side, which means you had to move across 7 lanes; not easy.

You talk about traffic stopped at a red light. Surely, there is no traffic light insight the roundabout, as this would defeat the purpose of having a roundabout.

All traffic except the vehicles entering the roundabout at the far left side have to change lanes within the roundabout at some point in order to leave it, unless more than one lane can turn off simultaneously. The only way such a lane change can be illegal is if inside the roundabout the lanes are for some stretch separated with a continuous line and you pass across this line. Is this what happened?

--

Maestro

I have been lightened of 200B at the same place for the same offence...................... At the start of each entry to the round-a-bout there are 3 lanes Left & two straight/right. Its sucks but you are in the wrong BUT the Traffic BIB know that people will cut across lanes everyday here and so its an easy drink for them.

Inside the roundabout...8 lanes..., which means you had to move across 7 lanes; not easy.

Indeed. Not easy. Doesn't stop buses who are going straight on or even stopping on the left hand side bus stops from starting off in the rightmost lane and then holding all the other traffic up while they move across.

You talk about traffic stopped at a red light. Surely, there is no traffic light insight the roundabout, as this would defeat the purpose of having a roundabout.

There are several sets of traffic lights on this roundabout. TIT.

All traffic except the vehicles entering the roundabout at the far left side have to change lanes within the roundabout at some point in order to leave it, unless more than one lane can turn off simultaneously. The only way such a lane change can be illegal is if inside the roundabout the lanes are for some stretch separated with a continuous line and you pass across this line. Is this what happened?

I don't know what kind of line separates the lanes. I do know that if you enter this roundabout from the rightmost lane and never changed lanes you would end up going round this roundabout forever. You have to change lanes if you are turning right.

At the start of each entry to the round-a-bout there are 3 lanes Left & two straight/right. Its sucks but you are in the wrong

The land I entered the roundabout from is right hand turn only. I really do not accept that I am in the wrong. You must change lanes if you are ever to leave this roundabout.

I see that nobody has answered my question about a complaints procedure. Presumably this means that one does not exist and that people just accept this crap and pay up every time.

What would happen if I refused to give him my licence?

Edited by seahorse

I know of the police hotline of 1194 but I don't know if there are any for actually complaining AGAINST the police themselves.

As for the roundabouts, I agree that they are a pain in the a$$. Takes a while to get used to maneuvering through Bkk's "wongwian" (roundabouts). You have to start changing lanes from early on, just as you have started to enter the roundabout. If you stay in your lane too long then you won't be able to leave it in time.

If you tried to change lanes where there is a solid line rather than a dotted line then that's definitely a no-no and I'm afraid your complaints will be dismissed.

It's all fair ! i used to live in the area for maany years. It has one of the most congested traffic in Bkk ! And since almost everybody knows the rules>u r more or less supposed to stick to the appropriate lane before you approach the roundabout,it makes for the slower approach(change all the lanes you want>everybody does than!) but that's also true for many other roundabouts. Than police is always there to catch the 'newbies' >cabbies get it by default me thinks,because they either get the passenger in before the roundabout,which results in them having to 'adjust' IN the roundabout,or just those who think can get away with it.. Anyways road markings are pretty clear & there are sets of trafic lights inside the roundabout also.. So all is fair & nothing to do with OP being of any particular race !

Edited by asiaworld

dunno about thailand, but when I learned to drive back in OZ, you got an automatic fail for changing lanes while crossing an intersection. Suspect it is the same principal here.

Good on you for getting the fine. Just get a courier to go pay it for you, to save you the time of having to do it yourself.

Not sure if I am missing something here, but if he wanted to leave on the last exit (ie turn right), then surely he should have entered in the right (inside) lane, and merged left as he went around the roundabout.

If you are not allowed to change lanes on a roundabout then everyone would have to stay in the left lane, so you might as well make it one lane.

We only have one roundabout in Pattaya and the locals have no clue how to behave on it, so it is more of a getting your nose in front competition.