Isaan At The Start Of The Farang Invasion

Nignoy

well they have been a long time coming, more black and whites from my mispent yuuf in Amphur Leong nok tha, Yasothon province :o Nignoy 1/ australian water diviner,2/3 My new thaihome, 4/5 drilling the new village well and christening the new well,6/7 mukdaharn ferry,8/ the light of my life,9and 10 the bridge collapse at Roiethave found over 150 more if there is any interest,Nignoy

post-11182-1203115869_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203115942_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116000_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116041_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116091_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116339_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116371_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116418_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116585_thumb.jpg

post-11182-1203116688_thumb.jpg

Fantastic Nignoy. Yes please let's see some more.

Where is Ningi?

My old man was a water diviner and whilst many criticised him he was uncannily accurate. He could even tell the direction and volume of the flow of an underground stream.

I bet the low loader driver got the sack - or maybe he is still running!!!

My wife and I live in Buri ram and we were in Mukdahan 3 weeks ago where there is now a magnificent bridge across the Mekong.

The drilling rig is a Failing 1500. The septics had quite a few of these here in the '60s. I still have one of them and it looks exactly like the one in your photo. Used it to drill some seismic shotholes in the Loeng Nok Tha area in the late 70s.

My wife and I live in Buri ram and we were in Mukdahan 3 weeks ago where there is now a magnificent bridge across the Mekong.

Superb pics Nignoy, love them.

I've been over the new bridge a couple of times now, it makes life easier, but it doesn't have the 'fun factor' of the old ferries.

To answer your questions, Ningi is near Bribie Island 30 minutes North of Brisbane, I was stationed 8kms south of Leong Nok tha in the early 60,s in the early 70,s I spent a great deal of my free time doing volontary work in the leper colony near amnat charoen, we were given the use of a village house in 1977 which over the years we have enlarged and modernised, thai friends use and look after it for the periods we are in australia or travelling ,it was all done on a handshake with the puyai baan all those years ago,we have even got a plot for our ashes when the time comes in our local Wat, we are part of the village furniture,it is nearly always mrs nignoy who starts to get a bit homesick for her thai friends,and cannot get back quick enough, and she is english :D I found this photo,possibly the The Sawadi Bar taken near leong nok tha 1964 :o Nignoy

post-11182-1203139113_thumb.jpg

To answer your questions, Ningi is near Bribie Island 30 minutes North of Brisbane, I was stationed 8kms south of Leong Nok tha in the early 60,s in the early 70,s I spent a great deal of my free time doing volontary work in the leper colony near amnat charoen, we were given the use of a village house in 1977 which over the years we have enlarged and modernised, thai friends use and look after it for the periods we are in australia or travelling ,it was all done on a handshake with the puyai baan all those years ago,we have even got a plot for our ashes when the time comes in our local Wat, we are part of the village furniture,it is nearly always mrs nignoy who starts to get a bit homesick for her thai friends,and cannot get back quick enough, and she is english :D I found this photo,possibly the The Sawadi Bar taken near leong nok tha 1964 :o Nignoy
Cheers mate. I know Bribie Island well and have good friends living there. Surfing on the back beach is fantastic. 40 years ago my late wife and I had a farm at Palmwoods strawberries, ginger, oranges etc.

My late father in law worked at the Buderim ginger factory which is now an open market in the middle of the main street in Buderim.

I know I asked in another thread for the sight of a little laterite mate, but don't you think this is a bit much?

Good on yer, as they say!Unfortunatly did not take any photos of my own while up there, which is strange considering I did of everywhere else.

Nice to see the old place again, really must try to get over there again when I get back to LOS at the end of the month.

All the best, Peter.

• 4 months later...
well they have been a long time coming, more black and whites from my mispent yuuf in Amphur Leong nok tha, Yasothon province :o Nignoy 1/ australian water diviner,2/3 My new thaihome, 4/5 drilling the new village well and christening the new well,6/7 mukdaharn ferry,8/ the light of my life,9and 10 the bridge collapse at Roiethave found over 150 more if there is any interest,Nignoy

How'd they manage to overload what looks like a decent Bailey Bridge, a Single-Single.  No one look at the load weight?  A pier collapse?

Mac

44th Engr, Camp Friendship,Korat, Feb '64-'Feb '65, and still here, well, just a tad NE of Don Muang....

hi nignoi, if its not too personal, are you brit?, were you in brit army, which regt. i ask as your posts and pics are fascinating to me. your posting must have been the best posting in the brit army at the time. maybe all time. ex sigs myself so maybe engineers would have suited me better. such is life. regards