Dowry To Family

neverburi

Lb3 is 100% right on this one (as usual). Paying for the wedding will almost certainly be expected of you though.

More importantly, in my opinion, is establishing guidelines about what you are and aren't going to do for her family. In the months and years to come you will have stepkids, neices and nephews going to university, cousins starting up businesses, etc... It would be a good idea to have a serious talk with your wife about what you can and cannot do for her and her family. You don't want to be keeneow, but you are not an endless source of cash either! Laying down the rules up front will save you lots of misunderstandings later on.

More importantly, in my opinion, is establishing guidelines about what you are and aren't going to do for her family. In the months and years to come you will have stepkids, neices and nephews going to university, cousins starting up businesses, etc... It would be a good idea to have a serious talk with your wife about what you can and cannot do for her and her family. You don't want to be keeneow, but you are not an endless source of cash either! Laying down the rules up front will save you lots of misunderstandings later on.

Yes absolutely right.

You have to lay down ground rules from the start

Once you have started a generous precedent is nearly impossible to backtrack.

With my gf I made it clear that my responsibility will not extend beyond her and the 2 kids and I have had no problems.

Other people I know have had their extended family include nearly the whole village and cannot cope with the continous demands on them.

Zero.  As Alley said.

I would, however, spring for any party etc if that is a part of plans.  And if family is poor and she helps support you might discuss how you can help.

I completely agree with lopburi3. Don't pay a dowry, but, otherwise, do the best you can for the family...

I'm getting married next year and asked the same question. How much? The gf spoke to her dad and he said what ever i want. So i'm like ye. 10 grand. Joking! But its only for show as he has said what evr amount is cool and it will be given back to us. So i reckon around 50-100k. if i wasnt gonna get it back then i would be looking for it be around 50k.