The Elizabethan Room

Maejo Man

The never ending quest for a restaurant with that little something different took me to the "Elizabethan Room" last night, and I have to say that I was impressed.

There was an earlier thread on this, but it didn't really do it justice. Unlike some posters that seem obsessed with posting "food" threads, I tend to steer clear of posting, but in this instance I have to make an exception.

The Elizabethan Room is on Charoernrat Road just round the corner from the Nakornping Bridge, and opposite the old Bear's Den pub. Plenty of parking space in the adjacent car park, so taking the car is not a problem.

The decor is not as one would expect from the name, but extremely fresh and light, but still retaining a cosy atmosphere, and the table settings would not be out of place in a five star restaraunt. The menu, although somewhat limited is amplified by many "specials" including rabbit stew, trout and veal dishes.

We chose the kidneys for an entree, and these were served in a delicious sauce with wedges of hot toast and garnish. The cream white wine piquant sauce made the dish quite memorable, and definitely one I will order again. This was followed by the steak and stout pie, which in hindsight was a mistake, as I couldn't finish it!! The quality steak literally fell apart, and coupled with a superb gravy and oh so light puff pastry crust made a delightful dish. This was accompanied by a bowl of mashed potato and a dish of wonderful vegetables. Snapping fresh broccoli and baby carrots with small squash, and garden peas. The whole presentation was topped of with an extra jug of special gravy.

At this stage I could hardly move, and although the fresh strawberry sorbet, and poached pears in champagne and cream sounded mouth watering.....There was just no room left. We settled for a fresh brewed coffee slightly later.

All in all a memorable dining experience in Chiangmai, and a restaurant that deserves to be recognised as a gastronomic delight....MM

As a poster of my own serious reviews of the restaurant on an earlier thread, I'm glad to know you liked it, MM. Being only slightly British, my own enjoyment of the food and restaurant were not quite enough to remove a lurking worry that I might be missing something. Also, I hadn't noticed on my visits there, but it is good to know that they must have reasonably good wheel-chair access. :o

The never ending quest for a restaurant with that little something different took me to the "Elizabethan Room" last night, and I have to say that I was impressed.

There was an earlier thread on this, but it didn't really do it justice. Unlike some posters that seem obsessed with posting "food" threads, I tend to steer clear of posting, but in this instance I have to make an exception.

The Elizabethan Room is on Charoernrat Road just round the corner from the Nakornping Bridge, and opposite the old Bear's Den pub. Plenty of parking space in the adjacent car park, so taking the car is not a problem.

The decor is not as one would expect from the name, but extremely fresh and light, but still retaining a cosy atmosphere, and the table settings would not be out of place in a five star restaraunt. The menu, although somewhat limited is amplified by many "specials" including rabbit stew, trout and veal dishes.

We chose the kidneys for an entree, and these were served in a delicious sauce with wedges of hot toast and garnish. The cream white wine piquant sauce made the dish quite memorable, and definitely one I will order again. This was followed by the steak and stout pie, which in hindsight was a mistake, as I couldn't finish it!! The quality steak literally fell apart, and coupled with a superb gravy and oh so light puff pastry crust made a delightful dish. This was accompanied by a bowl of mashed potato and a dish of wonderful vegetables. Snapping fresh broccoli and baby carrots with small squash, and garden peas. The whole presentation was topped of with an extra jug of special gravy.

At this stage I could hardly move, and although the fresh strawberry sorbet, and poached pears in champagne and cream sounded mouth watering.....There was just no room left. We settled for a fresh brewed coffee slightly later.

All in all a memorable dining experience in Chiangmai, and a restaurant that deserves to be recognised as a gastronomic delight....MM

post-24617-1203226740_thumb.jpg

Sounds....different. I am intrigued, but, what was the cost like? Did you loose an arm AND a leg? Just want some preparation in case I ever do give it a go. Thanks

Well worth a visit, and I still have both arms and legs :o Entrees average about 100 baht and main courses from 150-250 baht sorry I didn't notice the prices of deserts. Fresh coffee was 40 baht and mixers were in keeping with anywhere else....MM

I have to agree. We stopped in for a try last week and were impressed with the food. The owners definitely take pride in the quality of their food and it made for a great meal. I also had a steak and thought that it was one of the best I've had in Thailand.

I recommend the place and it'll definitely be one of our "regular" stops.

Edited by earlofwindermere

The boyz and myself went to The Elizabethan Room last night for their Friday Night Feast. It was excellent and reasonably priced.

Large portions of well cooked meats, veggies and chesnut stuffing. NONE of us could finish everything on our plates and we all took doggy-bags home.

There is no other restaurant like this around and you should check it out while you can. Low season is upon us, so don't forget this place because it is out of the way (very close to Rimping Condo), but well worth finding. :o

The boyz and myself went to The Elizabethan Room last night for their Friday Night Feast. It was excellent and reasonably priced.

Large portions of well cooked meats, veggies and chesnut stuffing. NONE of us could finish everything on our plates and we all took doggy-bags home.

There is no other restaurant like this around and you should check it out while you can. Low season is upon us, so don't forget this place because it is out of the way (very close to Rimping Condo), but well worth finding. :o

UG if you couldn't finish the meal it must have been huge.

Being out of the way is not a problem if the food is good. Word soon gets around. Remember that little joint 'The Escape', it was out of the way and did very well for a number of years. Of course a lot of that success was due to the personality of the Irish rougue Eddie, his partner the big Aussie Ian was a bloody nice bloke as well.

Edited by Blinky Bill

. . . . . Remember that little joint 'The Escape', it was out of the way and did very well for a number of years. Of course a lot of that success was due to the personality of the Irish rougue Eddie, his partner the big Aussie Ian was a bloody nice bloke as well.

They sound like they must have been a lovely couple.

Of course a lot of that success was due to the personality of the Irish rougue Eddie, his partner one of the many partners, the big Aussie Ian was a bloody nice bloke as well. :o

Ah, used to play around, eh? Well, in that case, they may not have been quite such a lovely couple, as I thought, but they do sound entertaining. :D

Ian of the Escape was quite a nice guy unless you messed with one of his girlfriends by mistake. It wasn't easy to avoid them because most of the female staff at the Escape and half of the waitresses and bar staff in Chiang Mai seemed to be "engaged" to him! :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ian of the Escape was quite a nice guy unless you messed with one of his girlfriends by mistake. It wasn't easy to avoid them because most of the female staff at the Escape and half of the waitresses and bar staff in Chiang Mai seemed to be "engaged" to him! :o

I am He is a very engaging fellow. :D

Sounds good, I will give it a try next time I'm in town, on a side note, has the Bears Den died a death yet, or is the owner still trying to flog a dead horse? It's been a few years since I stepped foot in the place.

Edited by solent01

• 2 months later...

After all the recommendations, we tried to go to the Elizabethan Rooms last night (Weds) for dinner at 6.30 pm but the place was closed. Anyone know if this is a temporary closure or permanent? Shame if the latter.

CMMCB

There is no other restaurant like this around and you should check it out while you can. Low season is upon us, so don't forget this place because it is out of the way (very close to Rimping Condo), but well worth finding. :D

Not really much farther away from central CM than The Duke's, and with the added bonus of easy parking. :o Long live the Duke!

After all the recommendations, we tried to go to the Elizabethan Rooms last night (Weds) for dinner at 6.30 pm but the place was closed. Anyone know if this is a temporary closure or permanent?

Dunno, but I have noticed the place closed a number of days during the last week and have not seen it open any.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny, I was just wondering about the Elizabethan Room yesterday. It is going to be a long low season this year for just about everyone. A brand new business has an even more difficult time. :o

We tried to go again to the Elizabethan Room Wednesday night, and this time were successfull. Seems the owner was sick last time we tried. Food was as good as previous reviews claimed. Shame there were no other diners there. Definitely recommended.

CMMCB

Funny, I was just wondering about the Elizabethan Room yesterday. It is going to be a long low season this year for just about everyone. A brand new business has an even more difficult time. :o

We tried to go again to the Elizabethan Room Wednesday night, and this time were successfull. Seems the owner was sick last time we tried. Food was as good as previous reviews claimed. Shame there were no other diners there. Definitely recommended.

CMMCB

You are all correct. The good news is that after illness which included hospitalisation, the good lady is back cooking and they are open every night except Mondays. Saw her this morning by accident.

The portions are good and huge and left-overs are wrapped for you to take away. She said some Chinese diners recently thought that far too much had been delivered to their table - which they couldn't possibly eat at one sitting. It took a long time to convince them that all left overs were packaged to take home!

Then they were amazed and delighted. A 'must' in CM.

So Come and see us some time G! We would love to see you