Bike Registration Etc.

Jandajoy

So, there's a decent 650 for sale. I like it. BUT. never having owned a real bike in LOS I wondered if people could answer a couple of questions.

1. Bike has red plates and no book. Vendor says you can get a book for 50,000 or

"do what the Falang do in Pattaya and pay 300 a year for a "contract"

and not worry about the book." True or false?

2. Supposing I bought the bike can I take into Laos and Cambodia on the red plates?

3. Could my cousin use it when he comes over for visiting Cambodia and Laos?

4. What's the go on insurance? Apart from covering the bike in dried flowers, bits of string and statues to protect us.

All comments, advice,abuse, opinions or suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Geoff

So, there's a decent 650 for sale. I like it. BUT. never having owned a real bike in LOS I wondered if people could answer a couple of questions.

1. Bike has red plates and no book. Vendor says you can get a book for 50,000 or

"do what the Falang do in Pattaya and pay 300 a year for a "contract"

and not worry about the book." True or false?

2. Supposing I bought the bike can I take into Laos and Cambodia on the red plates?

4. What's the go on insurance? Apart from covering the bike in dried flowers, bits of string and statues to protect us.

All comments, advice,abuse, opinions or suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Geoff

hi geoff, well ive ridden and bought numerous bikes over the 10 years of coming to and living in pattaya,.the red plate is worthless, ( well actually they are 300 baht or so ) the 300 baht contract you refer to is also a new one on me ,however we all know the rental companies do it, BUT they are thai,. 50000 baht sounds about right for a recycled book which is the minimum you wil require for border crossings, i ride to cambodia every 2 months or so,..for riding in thailand away from pattaya id say you will be fine on a red (dummy ) plate, however the downside is if you are a farang you will be seen as a source of revenue by the bib and will ocasionally have to grease a palm or 2, you can pay a lof of fines that the 50000 book will cost, but again this is thailand and if they want to get funny you will lose the bike, the very mimimum you want when buying a bike is the import papers, normally a load of A4 with a containers contents and amongst it wil be the bikes frame and engine number to prove it was brought in and taxes paid, if its got this and you arent wheelying up beach road id say dont bother with the book . but if going over the border you wil have no choice than to part with the 50k

Geoff the very mimimum you want when buying a bike is the import papers, normally a load of A4 with a containers contents and amongst it wil be the bikes frame and engine number to prove it was brought in and taxes paid, if its got this and you arent wheelying up beach road id say dont bother with the book . but if going over the border you wil have no choice than to part with the 50k

So do you keep a copy of the relavant pages of the import papers with the bike to show the police when stopped.? is that suficient, ??

Even though when I got my bike first I hadn't a number plate but had the green book. I used to keep a copy of the papers with me saying the plate was coming but still had to pay a fine when stopped :o

Edited by deckx

***No, as mikethevigoman replied.

In order to cross into Laos or Cambo...you will need the following:

1-A properly licensed bike (NO red plate!)

2-the green book for the bike

3-your passport

At the border you will first have Immigration fill out an export/import doc for your bike,

they will need to see your PPort and greenbook.

Then you check out of Thailand...getting your passport stamped.

Lastly go to customs...the office will be in or nearby the Immigration office.

There you take the export/import doc and your pport and they will enter the bike into

the computer. You will be given copies of the document...don't lose them...they are

needed to check back into Thailand. Normally you are allowed to be out of the country

and must return with the bike within 30-days....UNLESS you notify them otherwise.

This whole process, from start to usually takes about 30-45-minutes, depending on the

personnel at the border.

There is no checking in of your bike with Cambo Immigration...only get a visa and go

on your way...at least that's been my frequent experience for a number of years!

I usually go to Cambo 3-4 times a year, mainly to escape Pattaya's Songkran lunacy,

as well as avoid high season tourists. There good off-road riding there; if your just a

cruiser, the paved roads are pretty good...Khmer drivers are not!

Yes and no. You can _IF_ he has the bikes green book and a notarized letter stating that you

have given permission for him to use the bike. Often this can be a big hassle and it's

best to forget it. You cousin also cannot cross border on a rental....but you can rent

bikes in Cambo and Laos.

Thailand requires only their mandatory basic insurance; I get extra personal coverage on top of that...just in case...

However, Laos require that you buy bike accident insurance (at the border) when entering. Often, at remote border

crossing into Laos, the insurance person isn't there...just Immigration. BTW, you _cannot_ take a Thai

licensed bike into Laos via the Friendship Bridge, which leads to Vientiene. Enter elsewhere.

Edited by LukDod