Pattaya

DJ Pat

Over the last week Pattaya residents have received a rude awakening. Front-page headlines in the national Thai dailies splattering news of ride-by theft, robberies, muggings and gang-related shootings in Pattaya. The work of vicious, hot-tempered teenagers on the highway to destruction. Their reasoning: satisfaction and revenge, leaving innocent bystanders wondering whether they might be the next victims, and when.

The majority of these crimes are not committed by adults but by pre- and post- pubescent teenagers between 14-20. As they grow, anger, rebellion and confusion regiment their lives; many are from broken families and afraid of what the future may bring. Without the traditional family unit to turn to, they turn to their peers, their friends who often lead them down a destructive path, leaving shattered lives and dead bodies by the wayside.

With no one to turn to and consult, they see their lives no more than a day-to-day struggle for identity. The victims are those who would berate and verbally abuse them for their actions. The harsh reality has seeped into every corner of society, locally and throughout the nation.

We, as a society, try to disassociate ourselves from the problems - “It’s in another city, town or province”. That couldn’t be farther from the truth. It’s time to plan, to organize and take action, implement and enforce the law. But easier said than done, and it’s only scratching the surface. It’s not the only solution if we as a society are to save our own future.

The traditional family institution must be maintained, children, young and old need love, attention and understanding, which appears to be something of the past and sadly lacking in the present. The breakdown in family values, nurturing and forgiveness have been replaced by economic gains, leaving the body and pockets fulfilled but the hearts and minds severely lacking nourishment. These teens need to feel as if they have a future, a place in the world and not just pawns on the chessboard of life.

Apart from the family, schools - the educational institutions - were a source of social interaction and learning. Teachers cared for their students’ welfare. This has changed as they focus on academic education, leaving other important aspects such as emotional and social education behind. Schools, colleges and universities in Thailand have lost their humanity and opted for a more quantifiable education. Without balance in either of these institutions, Thailand’s youth are left in an insensitive condition that facilitates a violent reaction to the environment around them.

Over the years these reactions have become more than just a ripple, they have become a wave of violence in society where everyone pays the price. Many feel that it is too late to stop the violence among the nation’s youth, appearing more than what it is. They don’t realize that the solutions lie with them and very close to home and within their own family units. That’s where it starts and finishes, with the present and future of Thai youth.

I read somewhere that teenage thai thugs cannot be prosecuted and therefore are free to steal anything they are capable of stealing. Is this a fact?Any drunken teenage on a motorbike,as any driver will tell you,feels he is invincible. Given the fact that he is also safe from the law we can only expect more drive-by robberies.

What can we do collectively to get the law to do something about the numerous, numberless motorbikes?

NOT all of them are 'new'. the law regarding no numbers neccessary for new bikes is ridiculous anyway.... A young thief can buy a bike and know that before he needs a number plate he can probably get away with enough crime to pay for it.

I read somewhere that teenage thai thugs cannot be prosecuted and therefore are free to steal anything they are capable of stealing. Is this a fact?Any drunken teenage on a motorbike,as any driver will tell you,feels he is invincible. Given the fact that he is also safe from the law we can only expect more drive-by robberies.

What can we do collectively to get the law to do something about the numerous, numberless motorbikes?

Where did you get that idea?

They do get locked up, unless they (or the family) are willing to give restitution.

I agree that it is high time that all vehicle on the road have registration plates, motor cycles included.

It cannot be that difficult to predict sales and produce the plates ahead of time, can it??

Where did you get that idea?

They do get locked up, unless they (or the family) are willing to give restitution.

I agree that it is high time that all vehicle on the road have registration plates, motor cycles included.

It cannot be that difficult to predict sales and produce the plates ahead of time, can it??

My wife had to wait three or four months for the plates, although she had paid all costs at the start (Sorry, I paid all the costs :o )

She accepted this as perfectly normal. While this attitude prevails the situation will not improve. Only driving policy by complaint (loud, long and vociferous) works here.

Why aren't the kids beaten? Never did me any harm...

They can be, by parents or teachers.

However Thailand is going soft, like the UK, where they want to Ban All Corporal Punishment.

My son brought a letter home for me to sign, giving his teachers permission to cane him.

It was a bit late as he has already be whacked twice this term.

"Imagine thailand in 40 years when the current generation are in power... "

Sure sign of old age DJ........the current generation always assumes the next generation is going to ###### in a hand basket! :o:D:D

Clearly the Thai authorities have a challenge in Pattaya and a few other locations where rapid growth has brought with it the challenges to society and the infrastructure. And I don't like the stares and sometimes violence that the local youth throw the direction of a passing falang. But I think for the most part Thailand is still a very welcoming society and as teen years give way to family and responsibilities, most of these things work themselves out.

Either that, or we all head for Malaysia and Cambodia!

~WISteve

My wife had to wait three or four months for the plates, although she had paid all costs at the start (Sorry, I paid all the costs :o )

She accepted this as perfectly normal. While this attitude prevails the situation will not improve. Only driving policy by complaint (loud, long and vociferous) works here.

Thats the one big problem with Thailand. If you complain you are considered rude, make whoever you complain to lose face, and you will never see them again.

Maybe in another 100 years they get the idea.

If anything an earlier closing time ( midnight for example) will only encourage binge drinking between 7-12pm as per the UK. This will not benefit the punters/locals/bar owners and will encourage the same knid of mindless <deleted> type behaviour one experieces in the uk. Like it or not the low-class punters ( in Pat's opinion) come to Pattaya not for drink alone , they will soon be trawling the streets 9 Yodsak/Soi 8/ Pattayaland etc) angry at the fact they can't drink in a leisurely manner whilst perusing the catch for that night.

You only need compare 1 am in any decent European city to the average scenes of Carnage in the UK.