Martial Arts Courses

MysteryX

Hi, I'm now in Chiang Mai and looking for martial arts courses (Thai Boxing or others). Do you have anything to suggest?

I found 2 schools so far, at 8000 and 9000 baht per month. 300$/m is more than in any other expensive cities I've seen in the world! I don't see how any Thai people could pay that so I assume it's a "special" price for foreigners.

Any suggestions?

I have just built my own Dojo (Hall for training) about 10kms outside Chiang Mai. Area is about 10m by 8m enough for 20 people to practice. My intention is to start a Judo Club with free lessons.

At the moment I have about a dozen people interested ranging from beginner to Black belt. I'm a 5thDan (Black Belt), National Coach in the UK, been practicing about 50 years now so a bit old for serious training but can still at least teach!

pm if you want to know more details. Nigel

Hi, I'm now in Chiang Mai and looking for martial arts courses (Thai Boxing or others). Do you have anything to suggest?

I found 2 schools so far, at 8000 and 9000 baht per month. 300$/m is more than in any other expensive cities I've seen in the world! I don't see how any Thai people could pay that so I assume it's a "special" price for foreigners.

Any suggestions?

I imagine one of the schools you looked at was Pedro Villalobos's school in Hang Dong?

I think he charges around 8000 for about 4hrs training, 2 lessons a day - 5 days a week, for excellent tuition, personally I don't find this to excessive a price. London prices for quality martial arts tuition vary from between 320/640 baht a lesson, private lesson as much as 3,200baht an hour.

If you speak fluent Thai and are willing to live out in the sticks somewhere you will probably find cheaper Thai Boxing tuition.

Bagwa, Kungfu, anyone knows where in CM? Time costs?

Thanks,

Nienke

There's no one teaching Bagua in Chiang Mai, the closest is Master Liang who teaches Hsing I , he advertises in the Chiang mai mail from time to time as a teacher of Yang style Tai Chi but his Hsing I is good as well.

Just a whim, but hopefully the guys who read this thred may have some experience.

I have never done anything like martial arts at all. But I think I'd like to give it a go. But have 3 concerns.

1. I am 40. Have almost no agression inside me, though I would like to create some. I really would like to change from a sappy weakling to a man who controls his own destiny. Have you seen anybody my age change in the way I'd like to?

2. Although in good shape. I exercise daily, I am very unflexible. I can barely touch my toes and I would really like to change this.

3. This is my biggest concern. I have always had a weak back. These days standing still quickly produces a dull pain. A movement can suddenly feel like the wall of muscle in my lower back "disappears" Jogging and walking though seems to help a lot. I have no idea if my body could take hard impact though when hiking etc real physical extertion seems to actually be of great benefit.

Which martial art would anyone recommend?

Just a whim, but hopefully the guys who read this thred may have some experience.

I have never done anything like martial arts at all. But I think I'd like to give it a go. But have 3 concerns.

1. I am 40. Have almost no agression inside me, though I would like to create some. I really would like to change from a sappy weakling to a man who controls his own destiny. Have you seen anybody my age change in the way I'd like to?

2. Although in good shape. I exercise daily, I am very unflexible. I can barely touch my toes and I would really like to change this.

3. This is my biggest concern. I have always had a weak back. These days standing still quickly produces a dull pain. A movement can suddenly feel like the wall of muscle in my lower back "disappears" Jogging and walking though seems to help a lot. I have no idea if my body could take hard impact though when hiking etc real physical extertion seems to actually be of great benefit.

You have to practice with the limits of your body. Through my Judo years my techniques have changed to allow for the physical changes in my body, less flexibility as you get older alters the techniques that you use. Also as you get older the warm up and warm down tends to take longer. Before you start I would suggest you have a check to make sure that you are ok to start. When and if you start your Instructor will give you a program to meet you needs. My experience in Judo is that most Blacks in fact started in the 20, 30 and 40s.Most children that start at an early age find it difficult to making the transition for Junior to Senior level. So don't be disheartened have a go!

I'm not sure that martial arts are a good way to become more aggresive. However, if you are sparing and someone wacks you a few times, that might motivate you.

The military abuse recruits to the point that they can easily "find" their anger when they need it to do something that they wouldn't be comfortable with otherwise (hurt someone), but it would be really hard to deal with that kind of nasty treatment at 40 years old. :o

You can change. You can change at any age.

I have a feeling that what you really want is to be more assertive, rather than aggressive. There is a very big difference. Taking control of your own life is being assertive. Taking control of someone else's is being aggressive.

Back in the late 70's-early 80's the women's movement spent a lot of time and energy teaching women how to be more assertive in their lives. For the most part, they did a very good job of it, only forgetting to teach when to be assertive and when not to be assertive.

(My wife actually insisted that she held the remote control! :o )

Learning to be assertive will make a big difference in your life. Be sure that you want that difference before you begin.

Personally I would recommend you find a good Tai Chi teacher who knows the martial aspects of the art, Tai chi will strenghten your body slowly and without harming it. Once you have reached a degree of mastery it would then be worth looking at other martial arts.

Isn't the beauty of martial arts that they teach to have 'control' over one's own body and mind (although 'control' might not be the correct word), instead of teaching aggression? In fact, isn't it that many serious teachers/schools have a rule that students or graduates will avoid using the learned techniques in an aggressive manner at all costs and if they do and their teacher or school finds out, the person can't come back there anymore?

Nienke

Isn't the beauty of martial arts that they teach to have 'control' over one's own body and mind (although 'control' might not be the correct word), instead of teaching aggression? In fact, isn't it that many serious teachers/schools have a rule that students or graduates will avoid using the learned techniques in an aggressive manner at all costs and if they do and their teacher or school finds out, the person can't come back there anymore?

Nienke

I think controlled agression is the word your looking :o a good martial arts instructor should be able to bring out a more agressive side in a passive student or be able to channel the aggression of a more hot headed student.

I've always found zero aggression, combined with a fully loaded Glock, has worked for me!

To those of you who like the workout, more power to ya....

I know something is loaded, but it's not your "Glock".. :D

For Chiang Mai's best Tai Chi instruction PM me for details. :o

My guess is (I've studied a little Ju Jitsu) that (properly controlled) aggresiveness is good. Anger is bad.

Is that right Folk Guitar and anonymouse? :o

There is nothing inherently wrong with being aggressive when aggression is needed, just as there is nothing wrong with being assertive when assertion is needed. They both serve their purposes when used appropriately. They are both negative factors when used inappropriately. The same holds true for anger. Often there are valid reasons to be angry. But actions should never be based upon that anger. Didn't we all fall in love with the first person we slept with? Isn't it a good thing (usually) that we didn't marry them the next day? Anger is a legitimate emotion, something to feel, live through, and let go, then get on with decision making based upon facts rather than emotion. Of course... this is much easier to say than to do.

Here is an anger management technique recommended in all the latest psychological texts. The funny thing is that it really works:

Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the cool

mountain air. No one but you knows your secret place. You are in total

seclusion from the hectic place called "the world." The soothing sound of a

gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is

crystal clear. So clear that you can easily make out the face of the person

you're holding under the water. :D

My guess is (I've studied a little Ju Jitsu) that (properly controlled) aggresiveness is good. Anger is bad.

Is that right Folk Guitar and anonymouse? :D

There is nothing inherently wrong with being aggressive when aggression is needed, just as there is nothing wrong with being assertive when assertion is needed. They both serve their purposes when used appropriately. They are both negative factors when used inappropriately. The same holds true for anger. Often there are valid reasons to be angry. But actions should never be based upon that anger. Didn't we all fall in love with the first person we slept with? Isn't it a good thing (usually) that we didn't marry them the next day? Anger is a legitimate emotion, something to feel, live through, and let go, then get on with decision making based upon facts rather than emotion. Of course... this is much easier to say than to do.

Here is an anger management technique recommended in all the latest psychological texts. The funny thing is that it really works:

Picture yourself near a stream. Birds are softly chirping in the cool

mountain air. No one but you knows your secret place. You are in total

seclusion from the hectic place called "the world." The soothing sound of a

gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity. The water is

crystal clear. So clear that you can easily make out the face of the person

you're holding under the water. :D

Good to see the full moon is working it's usual magic. :o

post-31110-1203643641_thumb.jpg