O Visa

No on the support question as you need a legal marriage to use that provision (which is really an extension of stay).

You might find a Consulate willing to give you an O visa for normal 'family visit' reasons. Easier done in a western country and at smaller Consulates as a rule.

I hear anecdotal evidence that Hull in the UK is especially generous with Non Imm - O's... I know of a few people on one year O's issued from there...

How that applies to unmarried people under 50 (and I am guessing without 800k) is a mystery to me.. One told me he just had to show proof of his rental agreement in Thailand and asked for a one year visa ?!?!

My UK GF and I got a one year IMM-O visa in under 10 mins from the Hull Consulate this week.

I'm not married.

I was not asked for any documentation such as income or flights, other than a letter from someone saying they'd pay for me to be repatriated back to the UK if I became a street-bum.

I'm not sure if being well dressed and very polite helped, but it seems that the Hull consulate experience could not have been better. I just called them and arranged an appt for the next day.