How Many Tv Members Growing Rubber Trees

scotbeve

hi,

i'm a TV member in thailand to for just a few months now,

not a farmer yet but thinking off buying some land in the near future.

i know about the laws that farang can't own land and sutch .

but i just wonder howmuch for the land and what can you make off it money ways iff you let a farmer do everything.

grtz dennis

Hi Dennis,

I have a rubber plantage down south-Surat Thani about 20 mins from the airport.

Its 8 Rai which 5 years old rubber and 22 Rai its 10 years old - whole plantage is 29.5 Rai, including the new simple Thai house in it 3 bedrooms and 2 baths (Thai toilet) I bought it 3 years ago but needing to sell cuz im in Holland now so I let my bros and his fam taking care and work on it...The price is 6.5 Mil.THB.

For more infomation will be my pleasure.

thesunset75

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so surprise that many many farangs who own the plantage in Thailand.

I never work in plantage just bought and let family member do all the work. I know the plantage i bought is high price but for that location and how healthy rubber are so the price only going up. Now its 217,000 / Rai (including the house)

I dont even know what kind of the trees are ! but this is how my family manage.

Start tapping when its 7 years and able to do that for more 20 years then you can sell the tree which is really high price. Need to put fertilizer twice a year.

I have 10 years old rubber, 22 Rai 2-3 people work on it about 4 hours tapping then wait for few hours and do the rubber sheet process which I have no idea how :o

As i am the investor but ofcourse family working on it we take 50-50.

When is nice weather can do 4 days a week.

Approximate income is 20000-50000 THB per month for those 22 Rai full of rubber, as a rubber price is 100+ THB per 1 kg.

Think this might give you all some idea

Thesunset75

Ww are 30k outside Tung Song with 15 rai rubber, land prices around here for land with trees 7 years old or more now 150k per rai and up. Thinking of buying more but concerned about the price????? Any comments

Hi latex,

What price are you concerned about? The land or the price of raw latex? The price of latex SHOULD be okay for some time...

Hi Scotbeve, The price of the land.

Sing Sing, I apologise for being thick but could you clear for me some things: is your yeild of 300-400 stated in gallons per tapping?(gpt) and is that for 3,000 trees? How many tappings per harvest season? Average volume per tree? Also, how does the volume of latex from the tree(s) translate into the mats that are sold. Does one gallon of liquid latex translate into an equilivent weight of dry product? I am curious so I can translate the yield into an approximate gross sales figure as per the current price as quoted in the paper.

If you have any sources to turn me on to for research I would certainly appreciate it.

The tress we bought and planted, I have no idea what variety they are as we bought them from a lady in the village up the road. My wife seemed to think they were ok as they were what others bought. I am no so sure about that though.

Hello Ron

I can answer one of your questions with some certianty, as I buy liquid latex from the locals. It is about 30% solid to liquid, so 3 litres of liquid latex makes about 1 Kilo of rubber. The percenage varies, but only by a few percent depending on rain type of tree etc Average output per tree in my area is 1 kilo per month, but averages are just that some trees produce more and some much less. Hope that helps JIM

Hi Scotbeve

We planted 10 rai of Tagoo on our 90 rai farm near Wichianburi two months ago. We are contemplating of planting more; does anybody have in-depth knowledge of this kind of fast-growing tree? Would appreciate comments. My wife suggested planting rubber trees as well

Wichianburi1

Hello Ron

I can answer one of your questions with some certianty, as I buy liquid latex from the locals. It is about 30% solid to liquid, so 3 litres of liquid latex makes about 1 Kilo of rubber. The percenage varies, but only by a few percent depending on rain type of tree etc Average output per tree in my area is 1 kilo per month, but averages are just that some trees produce more and some much less. Hope that helps JIM

Thank James. I am outside of Chiang Rai and we have two small plots, one here and one near Thoung southeast of us. How long is the harvest season? I am told it it generally about 5 months, beginning around October/Nov. up here. I have noticed that much raw rubber seems to go thru Chiang Saen area and have often considered buying the raw latex myself, making the mats and then selling to the buyers taking it accross the border. on a smaller scale at first to see if profitable of course. Any tips?

Hello Ron

Setting up a latex processing plant may sound easy enough, but you need to do a lot of home work. The costs can be more than you think. First you have to decide how big a factory you want and how much rubber you can get. Are you going to just make sun dried pancake or rib smoked rubber. Do you have a truck to transport, what may be several 1000 kilos. etc.

Is there an electicity supply that can power a medium to large rolling machine. As I say you have a lot of home work to do, or you will fail before you start. You may have seen in an earlier post that I have put 2 short videos on you tube. that may give you an idea.

As for the tapping times, that very much depends on type of trees and rain fall, as I am down on the Lao Cambodia borber I have no idea about your area, but 5 months seems a very short season. JIM

My wife told me last night that her brother makes 500 baht per day for each day that he collects rubber and sells the liquid latex. He is cutting 7 rai of rubber trees in Phatthalung. So if he cuts 15 days a month then he is getting 7,500 baht. Although my wife owns the land, we let him keep all the profit (as we see this as a way of keeping them from asking for money from us). I don't know what the current price is for liquid latex, but this equates to making about 1,071 baht per rai per month. So when our other 10 rai of young rubber trees are ready to cut, the total amount he would make (assuming prices remain the same) would be over 18,000 baht per month.

I will try to find out what the current price for liquid latex is and how many days he is cutting rubber each month. I know that the number of days per month varies throughout the year. It would really be nice if my brother-in-law could tell us over the course of a year how many days he collected latex.

My wife told me last night that her brother makes 500 baht per day for each day that he collects rubber and sells the liquid latex. He is cutting 7 rai of rubber trees in Phatthalung. So if he cuts 15 days a month then he is getting 7,500 baht. Although my wife owns the land, we let him keep all the profit (as we see this as a way of keeping them from asking for money from us). I don't know what the current price is for liquid latex, but this equates to making about 1,071 baht per rai per month. So when our other 10 rai of young rubber trees are ready to cut, the total amount he would make (assuming prices remain the same) would be over 18,000 baht per month.

I will try to find out what the current price for liquid latex is and how many days he is cutting rubber each month. I know that the number of days per month varies throughout the year. It would really be nice if my brother-in-law could tell us over the course of a year how many days he collected latex.

Sorry Donx, but I think you should check out what`s going down at the farm. :o

Please explain.

Please explain.

I kind of agree with chan35 ,if the trees are Ok and he is tapping all the times he can. He should be making around the 30,000 + bht. a month JIM

Please explain.

I kind of agree with chan35 ,if the trees are Ok and he is tapping all the times he can. He should be making around the 30,000 + bht. a month JIM

Can you please explain to me how you arrived at this figure? You posted earlier that on average each tree provides 1 kilogram of rubber per month. If we assume 70 trees per rai, that would be 70 kilograms per month or 840 kilograms per rai per year. This seems like a much higher output than I would expect. I was seeing figures of on average 280 kilograms per rai per year which is 1 third of what you are saying. When I asked my wife how many rai of rubber she said it was 7. I think that is wrong and I think they only have 5 rai of rubber. So if the output is 23.3 (=280/12) kilos per rai for 5 rai, does the figure of 500 baht a day make more sense? How much do you pay for the liquid latex? I'm assuming when you say a tree produces 1 kilogram of rubber per month that this equates to 3 liters of liquid latex per month. Is this right?

If he cuts 5 rai for 20 days instead of 7 rai for 15 days and each day he cuts he makes 500 baht, then he makes 10,000 baht per month or 2,000 baht per month per rai. If the output is 23.3 kilograms per rai per month, then that would make the price per kilogram (in liquid form) 2,000 / 23.3 = 85.8 baht per kilogram (again in liquid form).

I'm really trying to understand this because I have seen and heard radically different information about rubber yields per rai and prices for liquid latex versus prices for processed rubber sheets.

Sister in law gets 4000Bt/day from 17 Rai. About 10% of these trees are not yet producing, and they started cutting at 6 year old. Most of the trees in production are 12 years old in Ranong ie a very wet area.

Is the 4000 baht/day for liquid latex or rubber sheets? How many days/month is she collecting latex?

By the way, my wife said that her brother is selling the liquid latex for 90 baht/kilogram. It isn't sold by the liter but by the liquid's weight.

They turn it into the sheets. As far as I understand each sheet wighs about 1.25Kg

They tap 3 days in 4 depending on the season. When the trees are changing leaves the trees rest.

Edited by Mosha
  • Like 1

I don't know how the yield varies based upon the age of the trees, but my wife says that the trees were only old enough to cut one year ago, so I assume this means that they are 7 years old. My wife also says that her brother is not a professional cutter so he may not be doing the tapping properly.

I would expect that if you process the rubber into sheets then you will make more money per day per rai, but that in itself can't account for the difference in profits your sister-in-law is getting as compared to what my brother-in-law is getting.

I don't know how the yield varies based upon the age of the trees, but my wife says that the trees were only old enough to cut one year ago, so I assume this means that they are 7 years old. My wife also says that her brother is not a professional cutter so he may not be doing the tapping properly.

I would expect that if you process the rubber into sheets then you will make more money per day per rai, but that in itself can't account for the difference in profits your sister-in-law is getting as compared to what my brother-in-law is getting.

Around Nakhon Si, rubber in the cup is selling between 40 and 50 baht per kilo to the trucks that drive around and buy directly from the plantation. The price varies every day (world price?) and also varies according to how remote the trees are. If you make the mats the price is 85 to 90 per kilo. My quick judgement is that making the mats is not worth the extra work. Most people around here with smallholdings they cut themselves ( up to around 15 rai) work 3 days then stop for one. There is a lot of difference in yield and work practice between those who take care of the trees and those who cut only for revenue.

Just joined this forum and am delighted to find other rubbermen. We have two plots in Nong Khai one is 40 rai and the other is 80 rai, mostly RRIT251 and some RRIM600, and start tapping next year. We grow pineapples,sweet corn and chillies in between.

After 30 years managing computer companies the last five years as a farmer have been a wonderful change and I like to do much of the work myself, such as the land clearing and preparation. I have a New Holland TD 95. We also have a small fruit farm on the Mekong riverside.

Since we are just coming up to tapping, I would like to know how others organise the labour for this? Do you offer a % of the crop, or employ staff on a daily rate, or what? I have two full time helpers but obviously will need more staff for tapping. How many trees should an experienced tapper do in one night?

Hi Rubberman - and others!

This is great and very informative! I have a number of properties in the Bung Kan area - in total around 120 rai, half of which is in production now.I live remotely and have to trust 'family' that all is run reasonably. We pay the workers 40% of the production - that seems to work ok. Most live on the properties and have water and electricity provided.

A good tapper should do over 1,000 a night I believe - what do others think?

Being new to all this, what does the measure 'gpt' mean? What is a good average - is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

confusion seems to be about number of days you can cut...my experience is 3 days in 4, but we don't cut if there is too much rain, etc but I think if you work on a minimum of 20 days per month, but I would like to hear any other tales as routines seem to vary across the country. Anyone have any info about planting other crops in the rubber, what can grow under full grown rubber trees

Hello Latex

This how many days you tap, how much rain ,Buddha holidays , Sangkran etc has been going on since I joined this forum and as I said before there is no anwser. There are too many variables. The only way is to take your average over a 12 month period. The Government takes yearly averages for the country and the local Agro Department can give figures for your area, but these are just that averages and may not reflect your out put, you are the only one who can keep track of how much rubber you produce. Most Thai keep no figures, they just collect the money and you will never get a real figure by asking them. they just don't know or care as long as they get paid. JIM

Just joined this forum and am delighted to find other rubbermen. We have two plots in Nong Khai one is 40 rai and the other is 80 rai, mostly RRIT251 and some RRIM600, and start tapping next year. We grow pineapples,sweet corn and chillies in between.

After 30 years managing computer companies the last five years as a farmer have been a wonderful change and I like to do much of the work myself, such as the land clearing and preparation. I have a New Holland TD 95. We also have a small fruit farm on the Mekong riverside.

Since we are just coming up to tapping, I would like to know how others organise the labour for this? Do you offer a % of the crop, or employ staff on a daily rate, or what? I have two full time helpers but obviously will need more staff for tapping. How many trees should an experienced tapper do in one night?

Hi Rubberman - and others!

This is great and very informative! I have a number of properties in the Bung Kan area - in total around 120 rai, half of which is in production now.I live remotely and have to trust 'family' that all is run reasonably. We pay the workers 40% of the production - that seems to work ok. Most live on the properties and have water and electricity provided.

A good tapper should do over 1,000 a night I believe - what do others think?

Being new to all this, what does the measure 'gpt' mean? What is a good average - is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

I think 500 a night is nearer the mark. Remember the terrain mat be difficult, Also how far they have to carry the latex to the drop off point.

Can anyone nail these figures down?

How much about on average is one rai going to make profit in one year. After EVERYTHING ie. 50 50 split, fertilizer etc i Assuming rm 600 is the crop.

That's the only figure that counts.

The answer is no one can nail these figures down.

I'm sorry but there are just too many variables - what part of Thailand, how much rainfall, what cutting technique is used, how much fertilizer costs this month, how much you can sell the latex for this month. The list goes on and on. The best you can do is estimate it based on assumptions that may or may not be accurate when you actually end up producing rubber.

Hello Latex

This how many days you tap, how much rain ,Buddha holidays , Sangkran etc has been going on since I joined this forum and as I said before there is no anwser. There are too many variables. The only way is to take your average over a 12 month period. The Government takes yearly averages for the country and the local Agro Department can give figures for your area, but these are just that averages and may not reflect your out put, you are the only one who can keep track of how much rubber you produce. Most Thai keep no figures, they just collect the money and you will never get a real figure by asking them. they just don't know or care as long as they get paid. JIM

Agreed 100%, just interested in any info from others who are farming rubber to compare what they are receiving from what area of land, and what can be done to improve it. Our average is about 1400 baht per day cutting from 550 trees

Hello Latex

Agreed 100%, just interested in any info from others who are farming rubber to compare what they are receiving from what area of land, and what can be done to improve it. Our average is about 1400 baht per day cutting from 550 trees

Does this include producing rubber mats or is this what you get for selling liquid latex?

generally we cut for 3 days letting the latex firm in the cup, 4thday no cutting then on the morning of the 5th day collect all the latex balls from the cups, sell it, and start cutting again that night. We sometimes make mats but the higher price does not compensate for the lower yield and extra work

Several plantations in and around Chanthaburi to Kaeng Hang Meow.

All producing trees above 15 years, average yield is 300-400 gpt, twice a week with ethylene booster. 20% GT1, the rest 600

One Jungle plantation, trees over 40 years old, average yield 200-500 gpt every second day with ethylene booster. Seedlings, obviously

Together about 3000 trees.

Hi there,

I'm Jeffrey Man from Malaysia. We have a very interesting nutrient for rubber trees that are best to replace the stimulant used now. It can increased production from 50% to 300% and at the same time it can prevent bark dryness. Research don on non-production trees for more than 3 years is able to produce latex after using the nutrient for less then 48 hours. Interested to know more, email to [email protected]. Thank you and hope to hear from you.

Hello Ron

Hi James,

Do you want to increase the yield with more solid to liquid, increase latex from 50% to 300% and keep your trees healthy and prevent bark dryness? If you are interested to know more email to [email protected]