How Many Tv Members Growing Rubber Trees

scotbeve

Ww are 30k outside Tung Song with 15 rai rubber, land prices around here for land with trees 7 years old or more now 150k per rai and up. Thinking of buying more but concerned about the price????? Any comments

Hi latex,

What price are you concerned about? The land or the price of raw latex? The price of latex SHOULD be okay for some time...

Sorry to say Rubber 48 bath kilo and going to 20 a kilo Just the facts. Rubber land with trees be lucky to go for 35,000 rai stop dreaming. Thais who have over 10,000 rai plantation are selling them for 28,000 a rai common knowledge. We are buying a 20,000 rai for 29,000 Baht a rai. Glad I can help

Sister in law has just sold 17 Rai with 10 year old trees for 1.4 Milllion Baht, that's with disputed access to the land.

Edited by Mosha

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ww are 30k outside Tung Song with 15 rai rubber, land prices around here for land with trees 7 years old or more now 150k per rai and up. Thinking of buying more but concerned about the price????? Any comments

Hi latex,

What price are you concerned about? The land or the price of raw latex? The price of latex SHOULD be okay for some time...

Sorry to say Rubber 48 bath kilo and going to 20 a kilo Just the facts. Rubber land with trees be lucky to go for 35,000 rai stop dreaming. Thais who have over 10,000 rai plantation are selling them for 28,000 a rai common knowledge. We are buying a 20,000 rai for 29,000 Baht a rai. Glad I can help

Sister in law has just sold 17 Rai with 10 year old trees for 1.4 Milllion Baht, that's with disputed access to the land.

Wow, that seems like a lot for someone to pay. Was it a local Thai that bought or a Thai with farang spouse? Then again in 2006 my wife sold 17 rai for 850,000 baht and the trees were about 15 years old and were underproducing - they weren't worth the effort to tap. They are also on steep land. The price of latex was up back then. Now it is down.

Just joined this forum and am delighted to find other rubbermen. We have two plots in Nong Khai one is 40 rai and the other is 80 rai, mostly RRIT251 and some RRIM600, and start tapping next year. We grow pineapples,sweet corn and chillies in between.

After 30 years managing computer companies the last five years as a farmer have been a wonderful change and I like to do much of the work myself, such as the land clearing and preparation. I have a New Holland TD 95. We also have a small fruit farm on the Mekong riverside.

Since we are just coming up to tapping, I would like to know how others organise the labour for this? Do you offer a % of the crop, or employ staff on a daily rate, or what? I have two full time helpers but obviously will need more staff for tapping. How many trees should an experienced tapper do in one night?

Hi Rubberman - and others!

This is great and very informative! I have a number of properties in the Bung Kan area - in total around 120 rai, half of which is in production now.I live remotely and have to trust 'family' that all is run reasonably. We pay the workers 40% of the production - that seems to work ok. Most live on the properties and have water and electricity provided.

A good tapper should do over 1,000 a night I believe - what do others think?

Being new to all this, what does the measure 'gpt' mean? What is a good average - is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

what a relief to find some help to try and decipher what the wife and her family are telling me!

Spent ages reading, now I just need to try and understand.

Does anybody have any idea as to what a reasonable price range is for land where the trees are just about to start producing or are in production is? The area would be around Nong Khai.

Thanks if you do!

Hi stbkk,

Prices range quite alot depending on the 'quality' of the land and trees. I bought 28 rai near Bung Kan (not far from Nong Khai) all trees 'ready to cut' (7yrs) just over a year ago for 1.9mill. Land was quite flat and trees well developed and fertilised over the years (you can tell by the tree size and the 'complexion' of the bark). Production is 'modest' for new trees although they're large and healthy - it'll take 2 or 3 more years before they get to their full potential I'm told. We've stopped cutting at the moment for their 'annual rest'. I probably paid above average for the farm, but compared to what I've seen around, its certainly a well above average property.

I'm not sure if you, or other readers, can help me - I have another property I want to sell. Its also near Bung Kan - 57 rai with 20 rai planted in rubber 2 yrs ago, the rest is used for rice (good yield last year). It's quite flat and open and has been well fertilised. I am asking 1.5 mill for it. If you know anyone who may be interested, or can guide me to where I should advertise the property, I'd be very grateful.

All the best!

Chris

Just joined this forum and am delighted to find other rubbermen. We have two plots in Nong Khai one is 40 rai and the other is 80 rai, mostly RRIT251 and some RRIM600, and start tapping next year. We grow pineapples,sweet corn and chillies in between.

After 30 years managing computer companies the last five years as a farmer have been a wonderful change and I like to do much of the work myself, such as the land clearing and preparation. I have a New Holland TD 95. We also have a small fruit farm on the Mekong riverside.

Since we are just coming up to tapping, I would like to know how others organise the labour for this? Do you offer a % of the crop, or employ staff on a daily rate, or what? I have two full time helpers but obviously will need more staff for tapping. How many trees should an experienced tapper do in one night?

This is great and very informative! I have a number of properties in the Bung Kan area - in total around 120 rai, half of which is in production now.I live remotely and have to trust 'family' that all is run reasonably. We pay the workers 40% of the production - that seems to work ok. Most live on the properties and have water and electricity provided.

Being new to all this, what does the measure 'gpt' mean? What is a good average - is there such a thing?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

what a relief to find some help to try and decipher what the wife and her family are telling me!

Does anybody have any idea as to what a reasonable price range is for land where the trees are just about to start producing or are in production is? The area would be around Nong Khai.

Thanks if you do!

Hi stbkk,

Prices range quite alot depending on the 'quality' of the land and trees. I bought 28 rai near Bung Kan (not far from Nong Khai) all trees 'ready to cut' (7yrs) just over a year ago for 1.9mill. Land was quite flat and trees well developed and fertilised over the years (you can tell by the tree size and the 'complexion' of the bark). Production is 'modest' for new trees although they're large and healthy - it'll take 2 or 3 more years before they get to their full potential I'm told. We've stopped cutting at the moment for their 'annual rest'. I probably paid above average for the farm, but compared to what I've seen around, its certainly a well above average property.

I'm not sure if you, or other readers, can help me - I have another property I want to sell. Its also near Bung Kan - 57 rai with 20 rai planted in rubber 2 yrs ago, the rest is used for rice (good yield last year). It's quite flat and open and has been well fertilised. I am asking 1.5 mill for it. If you know anyone who may be interested, or can guide me to where I should advertise the property, I'd be very grateful.

All the best!

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks very much for the information, very much appreciated.

Do you think prices are likely to be much lower now with the rubber price falling so much, and the economic outlook?

Also you say production is 'modest', what do you call modest, if you don't mind the question? I've seen huge variations quoted, even accounting for type/age of tree (I'm learning!), location etc.

Thanks again!

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

Thanks if you do!

Hi stbkk,

All the best!

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks very much for the information, very much appreciated.

Do you think prices are likely to be much lower now with the rubber price falling so much, and the economic outlook?

Also you say production is 'modest', what do you call modest, if you don't mind the question? I've seen huge variations quoted, even accounting for type/age of tree (I'm learning!), location etc.

Thanks again!

Hi stbkk,

Very difficult to say - rubber prices seem to have stabilised a bit, in fact have gone up a little in recent times. I understand there has been (or will be) some govt action to try to preserve the price to farmers - not sure what form that will take. Key to the economic fortunes will be stability in govt and the return of tourism revenues.... and no more nonsense like the airport fiasco! I predict farm land prices will stay pretty much as they are for the next 2 years as the global economy slowly starts to rebuild and greater demand is generated for natural rubber. We are of course in competition with the synthetic version which is economically more attractive when oil prices are low.

Trying to determine what 'good production' levels should be is really hard as you can tell by all the earlier posts - there is certainly no hard and fast rule. I can compare between production from mature trees and new trees because I have both in production now. What I mean by 'modest' is that, in my experience anyway, the new tree production is approx. half that of a good mature tree. For example, about 6 months ago from 900 new trees we produced 250kg of 'rubbercup' production in 10 days - cutting 2 days on, 1 day off. We were getting twice that from the same number of mature trees in the same general area. From what I can tell (and I'm trying to learn all this too!) the key element is how well the farms are fertilised - it has a real impact on future production levels. I invite anyone to comment on this and offer other or additional opinions/knowledge.

I hope this helps - as I say I'm learning too so any observations or facts that you and others may have, I'm really keen to know.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

I'm relatively new to this website but lived in TH 27 yrs. 19 of which in Chiang Mai. We have 90 rai of rubber farms and 80 rai of golden teak trees.

Just wondering how many more of you are growing either tree... :o

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Scott

Hi Scott: Yes we have 85 rai rubber farm ...20 rai producing..rest will be mature enough in 4 years I hope.. We are in Trang province ( Wang Wissett) 1 hour south of Krabi 45 min to Ko Lanta. The farm is on a hill ( soil lousy) and our newly finished house perched on the hill. Rubber price is a pain but it pays the bills ..just when not buying "stuff" for my wife or house or her kids AAAAH. Been here in Thailand since 2004..sailed up here from Singapore..did the typical Farang stuff before falling in love..don't we all? I am 62 nearly ..ex IT sales at GE (hated it). Just got divorced from Canadian wife ( I am a POM with Canadian and Australian citizenship).

Very new to farming and any advise you can give welcome.

If you would like to email I am at [email protected] all the advice and help I can get.LOL

best regrds

davd

• 3 months later...

Have 12 Rai just outside Klaeng, half way between Rayong and Chantaburi with 1,500 rubber trees. Bought the land 3 years ago when the trees were only 18 months to 2 years old, so have another couple of years before we can start tapping them. Paid 2.5 million for the whole place including a 3 bedroom house there. My wife has a cousin living there and maintaining the place - keeping the grass under the trees cut and doing general work around the place.

We are of course in competition with the synthetic version which is economically more attractive when oil prices are low.

Substitution for synthetic is not that easy and takes up to 6 months to change compounds especially for OEM tires. Even then tire manufacturers can only change a small % (approx. up to 7%) of natural to synthetic.

well, well.... growing rubber trees in the northern provinces....

hey, there is nothing wrong with that! with modern methodologies, technologies and hormonologies etc. and all!

just curious and wandering, if the sticky white stuff running off, of the little trails around the trunks of the

rubber trees grown in the northern provinces and the southern provinces are quantitatively and quantitatively

comparable in terms of prices in the southeast asia stock markets nowaday?.... lol

even more curious now--as it appears in the aforementioned posts, there seems to be many more farangs secretly

owning or participating in the proprietorship of rubber trees or the land they grow on, in the northern provinces

than in the south which has been widely known as the land of the rubber plantation....

is it because of the news of the unrest in the south? or is it because of the price differentiations?

just last week, some really smart alex landowner trying to sell off his prime agricultural land by asking from

my equally sharp chinese business friend, owner of a trucking company, at the price of 2.5 mil baht per rai....

and this plot is only less than 1/4 kilo from our homestead.... if someone is willing to pay such price,

we'll probably join some of you guys, moving to one of the rather peaceful northernly provinces as well... lol

I have a question for the folks that have rubber trees:

We have 55 Rai in various growth stages, from planted this year to four years old. We are located up North about 110Km North east of Udon Thani.

The problem I'm having is that we get some very severe wind storms coming through after extemley hot days and then a cold front coming down. On one plot of 25 Rai we had an extremley strong localized wind storm that ripped up very large trees in the rice paddys. Our trees in this plot are 4 years old and about 75% were bent just about down to the ground. We've done the propping them up routine and left them this way over the dry season. This year at the start of the rainy season they looked much better, but a much smaller windstorm bent a lot of them over again.

Of course the wife's family weighed in and said that we put to much fertilizer on them and they grew too tall too quickly. The same people wouldn't know what a rubber tree looked like 4 years ago, but you know how it is.

On another plot of 10 rai the trees are much shorter(I don't know the species) and naturally they seem to withstand the wind storms much better.

Driving around the area and looking at other plots I don't see any that are as badly affected as ours.

Other than going the bamboo pole route, does anyone have any suggestions? Different type of fertilizer or ???

( Or god forbide we did overfertilize, the family must never know)

Thanks for any comments

Ken

My wife's trees are about 5 1/2 years old. We feed twice a year, once just after the rains start, and then again just before the rains stop. My wife says if the trees grow too quick, you get tall spindly trees.

hi, we also have tree's not that far from you and can relate to your problems. tree's also at diffrent ages.

i was also told that too much vits make the tree's grow too quick (ie height) and are more at risk to the high winds. family and vits sellers told me this.

i used to buy our vits from a seller in udon thani and he gave me a application spread sheet give application at age ect.... over time i have now changed where i buy and now use a guy in ban dung. i feel that i get alot better info from these guys, they even saved me money by telling me that i was going to apply too much fertilzer. these guys have large area's producing rubber and have been at it for a along time.

the brand we use is called "top one" by the company called mosaic. i think this year we applyed 400g per tree on five year old trees (1st application this year). i think that the mosaic spread steet said around 500g per tree. three year old tree's got 200g per tree. i think the spread sheet said around 350g. the best five year old tree's are about 36 - 40cm round at about 1.5m from bud union.

• 3 weeks later...
Can anyone nail these figures down?

How much about on average is one rai going to make profit in one year. After EVERYTHING ie. 50 50 split, fertilizer etc i Assuming rm 600 is the crop.

That's the only figure that counts.

its hard to say how much you will make.It realy depends on where your location is.diffrent parts of thailand produce diffrent yields.

I have 30 rai of 8 year old rubber trees. per rai per cut i get 4 to 6 kilo .I cut about 220 times per year.I have my own work force that gets paid 35% of what thay bring in.each cutter gets 5 rai to cut. At this time i profit per month per rai about 4200B after paying out for my cutters

as for fertilizing We do it 2 times a year once in jun and once in aug.This is durring the raining season.It cost 7000B each time.

Cheers and good luck

I'm glad someone has nailed a figure down at last. However at your figures a tapper covering 5 rai is on the low side. I make that about 370 trees. Around here in difficult terrain they cut 5-600 trees a night.

hi scotbeve,

we have two plots 11 rai which is almost 4 years old and 30 rai which is almost 2 years old. we are approx 70 km east of udon thani.

thoongfoned.

I see some of you are close to Udon and possess many rais of land. How do you acquire land as a foreigner ? Were able to do it because you are married to a thai national ? Thru creating a business ?

Also is there any way(official organism) to evaluate farm land to its right value ? I have been looking to buy a few rais of rice fields in Udon but the prices seem verx high and probably leveraged by the "farang effect". A friend is contacting thr land owners but no way to hide the white man for long.

What price range for a rai of land where you guys live ?

Any advise on the above will be much appreciated.

regards

Taktan

hi, we also have tree's not that far from you and can relate to your problems. tree's also at diffrent ages.

i was also told that too much vits make the tree's grow too quick (ie height) and are more at risk to the high winds. family and vits sellers told me this.

i used to buy our vits from a seller in udon thani and he gave me a application spread sheet give application at age ect.... over time i have now changed where i buy and now use a guy in ban dung. i feel that i get alot better info from these guys, they even saved me money by telling me that i was going to apply too much fertilzer. these guys have large area's producing rubber and have been at it for a along time.

the brand we use is called "top one" by the company called mosaic. i think this year we applyed 400g per tree on five year old trees (1st application this year). i think that the mosaic spread steet said around 500g per tree. three year old tree's got 200g per tree. i think the spread sheet said around 350g. the best five year old tree's are about 36 - 40cm round at about 1.5m from bud union.

Hello there !

It seems that everybody wants to grow rubber trees nowadays, is that still a profitable business or the supply will soon exceed the demand ? what is the minimum number of trees and land surface necessary to make it worthwhile, Not factoring in land purchase or lease ? Does it require a lot of care or more or less grows by itself ?

Thank you in advance for the reply

Regards

Taktan

hi scotbeve,

we have two plots 11 rai which is almost 4 years old and 30 rai which is almost 2 years old. we are approx 70 km east of udon thani.

thoongfoned.

I see some of you are close to Udon and possess many rais of land. How do you acquire land as a foreigner ? Were able to do it because you are married to a thai national ? Thru creating a business ?

Also is there any way(official organism) to evaluate farm land to its right value ? I have been looking to buy a few rais of rice fields in Udon but the prices seem verx high and probably leveraged by the "farang effect". A friend is contacting thr land owners but no way to hide the white man for long.

What price range for a rai of land where you guys live ?

Any advise on the above will be much appreciated.

regards

Taktan

hi can only speak for myself - most of the land we are farming my wife owned before i knew her, and the little we have bought just goes in her name. i think we could put it in the childrens names - but they will get it latter any way.

price is up to the seller, so you have to find something that you are happy to buy.

the trees in the early years need a lot of work - the older the trees less maintance - but always work to do! alot of people plant 3m - 7m or somthing like that, straight rows. do some reseach loads of different planting set up's ect.... again up to you. if you just plant and forget the trees will do little or nothing. for me i would not plant on less then 10 rai - this is an easy area to keep controll of too.

How much about on average is one rai going to make profit in one year. After EVERYTHING ie. 50 50 split, fertilizer etc i Assuming rm 600 is the crop.

its hard to say how much you will make.It realy depends on where your location is.diffrent parts of thailand produce diffrent yields.

I have 30 rai of 8 year old rubber trees. per rai per cut i get 4 to 6 kilo .I cut about 220 times per year.I have my own work force that gets paid 35% of what thay bring in.each cutter gets 5 rai to cut. At this time i profit per month per rai about 4200B after paying out for my cutters

as for fertilizing We do it 2 times a year once in jun and once in aug.This is durring the raining season.It cost 7000B each time.

Cheers and good luck

Thanks for the info.

Are you making mats or are you selling the the latex in raw form?

Also what`s the current price per kilo in your area/

Thanks,

Chang35baht.

Hi all the rubber growers.

We produce liquid organic fertilizer locally for export, which has been found to work very well on rubber/palm trees.

If some of u are interested I am sure I can arrange for some to be made available locally (Bangkok).

If u mention u are from Thaivisa forum, could also do a special "mates rates" price.

Drop me a P.M.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

Chang35baht.

We aren't tapping yet, but my wife's son-in-law buys both mats and cup rubber. A couple of weeks back in Ranong he was buying at 52 & 46 per Kg respectively. I don't know what he sells it on at.

• 1 month later...
I'm glad someone has nailed a figure down at last. However at your figures a tapper covering 5 rai is on the low side. I make that about 370 trees. Around here in difficult terrain they cut 5-600 trees a night.

my trees are on a hill side so it takes more work to cut them.i find that to many trees for a cutter to do in a night is bad.i rather the cutter to take his time to cut the tree with out harming it.I also have 95 trees per rai

Cheers

Cheers and good luck

Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

Chang35baht.

I am making mats.as for the price i am getting 63B per kilo.

hi,

i'm a TV member in thailand to for just a few months now,

not a farmer yet but thinking off buying some land in the near future.

i know about the laws that farang can't own land and sutch .

but i just wonder howmuch for the land and what can you make off it money ways iff you let a farmer do everything.

grtz dennis

It is possible to own land as a farang, the price depends on tha area and hpw old the trees are, if you let the farmer do everything all you can expect is rent and fairly low at thay

last i heard farang cannot own land; u can rent; and u can own a house but not the land.......

correct me if im wrong? if so, then i would put my husband's land in my name on the chanote...

bina

my trees are on a hill side so it takes more work to cut them.i find that to many trees for a cutter to do in a night is bad.i rather the cutter to take his time to cut the tree with out harming it.I also have 95 trees per rai

Cheers

95/Rai sounds a lot. When I say difficult terrain I mean steep slopes, top side 80 trees/rai

hi,

i'm a TV member in thailand to for just a few months now,

not a farmer yet but thinking off buying some land in the near future.

i know about the laws that farang can't own land and sutch .

but i just wonder howmuch for the land and what can you make off it money ways iff you let a farmer do everything.

grtz dennis

It is possible to own land as a farang, the price depends on tha area and hpw old the trees are, if you let the farmer do everything all you can expect is rent and fairly low at thay

Theprice also depends on how desperate the seller is. :)