Install Leopard On It ..?

harald finehair

Ok First I can use a computer but do not really know too much about under the hood, so here's my question..

I would love to own a new Apple Lap top computer and use the Leopard O/S, But to me they seem just a bit too expensive

compared to other lap tops currently on the market , so if a computer is just made up of assembled parts is there a

non Apple lap top I could buy cheaper that I could install Leopard on it ..? is it that simple ..? or am I missing some thing..?

:o

Ok First I can use a computer but do not really know too much about under the hood, so here's my question..

I would love to own a new Apple Lap top computer and use the Leopard O/S, But to me they seem just a bit too expensive

compared to other lap tops currently on the market , so if a computer is just made up of assembled parts is there a

non Apple lap top I could buy cheaper that I could install Leopard on it ..? is it that simple ..? or am I missing some thing..?

:o

The simple asner is Y E S...... you can download a 'skin' here http://www.techmixer.com/transform-windows...gui-interfaces/

or Leopard O/S for XP

Download is here http://kampongboy92.deviantart.com/art/Leo...-On-XP-66696721

or here http://www.coolwizardz.com/apple/ultimate-...sx-leopard.html

Save yourself a lot of potential problems and just go for an Apple computer; Leopard will work best with the hardware it is intended for and you will have a high quality computer. Running Leopard on any other computer is for geeks who have a lot of knowledge what is under the hood (and a lot of patience in case things do not work out).

Well, it does run as smooth as on geniune apple hardware, more so since Apple is using nvidia video cards and intel processors for instance, just like ordinairy pc's.

But indeed you need to have some knowledge of comptuers, and you need to have certain components, even though it even works with AMD processors, but have a look at the link I provided, lot of geeks with a lot of knowledge.

I run Leapard on my PC, and it runs mighty fine, but indeed it did require some tweaking.

Nice thing about some of the ‘GEEK’ sites is you can get bits from all over the place.

Myself have XP, but other than start up it looks nothing like XP, I have some bits from Vista and some from Apples X 10.4 Tiger

OK took a little time to get it right, but I love what I have

If you install bits one at a time, then if you don't like the way something looks. or it will not run, then just delete it and try something different.... keep a list of what is installed so you can change/delete/add any of the bits at any time

Edited by ignis

First, you'll not save much - if you look at the components. Apple's machines are competitively priced but they give the impression of being expensive by not having any low end models. I mean - more or less. You are not going to save more than $100, maybe $150 by buying a non-Apple machine at the same specs.

Installing and keeping up-to-date a OS X on a non-Mac is going to be a bit like tinkering with Linux. If you love it, no problem. If you just want things to work without tinkering, it's not for you.

Of course you can buy a PC that's way cheaper and has much worse components / build quality. My friend just bought a total POS Acer laptop for 24K for example. He wanted a MacBook but that was 46k. Him being Scottish, he went for the cheap. I don't know how many hours he has now spent trying to get this thing to work - months after he bought it he told me it's the slowest computer he's ever had. Vista may have something to do with that of course. I have spent a few hours getting the thing to work as well.

Anyway - moral of the story is, if you want cheap, go with WinXP. If you want OS X, buy a Mac.

Myself have XP, but other than start up it looks nothing like XP, I have some bits from Vista and some from Apples X 10.4 Tiger

Kudos for customizing, but I do want to point out that OS X is a bit of a different beast from XP. It's not just looks, it's under the hood that counts.

Example I use the unix command line daily, and just having a decent terminal app makes a huge difference for me. Can't get one on Windows for love or money I really don't know why.

Other example, OS X disk caching actually works, and works very well, vs the XP disk caching. That makes a huge difference in speed. Some numbers, I compared doing a full compile of a rather large project I am working on. The environment is Eclipse/Java which is the same on Win and OS X.

OS X does it in less than a minute. WinXP takes more than 5 minutes, and that with comparable CPUs (2.2 vs 2 GHz dual core) and with the Mac having a slower hard disk. I can see that Windows XP has the HD light on during the entire compile, while CPU usage is 30% with some spikes. OS X has 95% CPU usage. OS X puts the CPU to good use while XP rummages around on the HD for a long time. And yes I have defragged my HD... I think it's the broken disk caching in Windows XP.

The simple non-geek answer is you can't. Apple chooses to limit the installation of their OS to their hardware. So if you really want to run Leopard then buy a Mac. If the current ones are too expensive then look for used but before you buy make sure you can install Leopard on it. I would avoid anything less than a 1GHz G4 chip and less than 512MB of ram. Ideally you would want a G5 or Intel chip with 1GB of RAM.

Now having said all that you CAN install Leopard on non Mac computers but unless you are technically inclined it can be difficult and troublesome to use.