Getting Rid Of Lizards

spog

I need some help here.

My nice little apartment occasionally gets visits from those lovely little lizards that you see all over the place. It doesn't happen very often as I am in the city, but when they do turn up, it's a real pain to get rid of them.

It's impossible to chase them out of the room. They are impossible to catch and it's hard to kill them by hitting them.

Rolled-ip newspaper is too slow (and they always hide in corners). Even my James Bond trick of lighter + aerosol doesn't get them.

How do I get rid of them?

I'd rather be humane and trap them and release them. Or stop them from coming in in the first place. Killing them is the final option, but I am not afraid of bloodshed.

The problem is that every Thai I speak to doesn't understand they I want rid of them - after all, they eat all the annoying insects in the room, so they should be considered lucky.

I want them out. There's a small one in my wardrobe right now. He hides in the cracks between the panels when I try and chase him out.

I need some help here.

My nice little apartment occasionally gets visits from those lovely little lizards that you see all over the place. It doesn't happen very often as I am in the city, but when they do turn up, it's a real pain to get rid of them.

It's impossible to chase them out of the room. They are impossible to catch and it's hard to kill them by hitting them.

Rolled-ip newspaper is too slow (and they always hide in corners). Even my James Bond trick of lighter + aerosol doesn't get them.

How do I get rid of them?

I'd rather be humane and trap them and release them. Or stop them from coming in in the first place. Killing them is the final option, but I am not afraid of bloodshed.

The problem is that every Thai I speak to doesn't understand they I want rid of them - after all, they eat all the annoying insects in the room, so they should be considered lucky.

I want them out. There's a small one in my wardrobe right now. He hides in the cracks between the panels when I try and chase him out.

Why do you want to get rid of them? Maybe that's why the Thai are confused- you haven't answered that question....Are you afraid of them?

My advice is to live, and let live :o

My cat keeps the lizard population to a minimum in the household...

but ive got to say im on the side of the lizards here, they are useful little creatures that help keep down the bug population of the house/apartment.

Unless your scared of them, i'd just let them carry on with what they do best.

Just get a big hairy spider to get rid of the chingjok. Then get a big snake to get rid of the spider. Then...errr....just move to another apartment to get rid of the snake. :D

Great, except that spiders don't eat lizards, and snakes don't eat spiders. Back to square one for you, I guess :o

throw a wet small towel at them when they are on the cieling, the fall stuns them and its easy to either stamp on the little buggers, or catch them in the wet towel and throw em outside.

also buy mossie screens, about 200baht per sq met is the charge and dont allow insects in the house, cos then they got no food and die of starvation, blo.ody horrible things those small lizards, they sh.ite every where.

Geccos are great, leave 'em alone, as everyone else said they take care of the bastard mozzies that are no good to anyone.

I had the reverse problem, I didn't have any in my apartment and tried to catch some to take care of the mozzies. Clever how they stalk and catch flies and mozzies; they do a type of jittery movement towards the offending insect and something to do with the hex-vision that flying insects use means they can't see the predator Gecco...so they get eaten - good ay?

Someone could probably enlighten you further as to how they do it exactly .

Just get a big hairy spider to get rid of the chingjok. Then get a big snake to get rid of the spider. Then...errr....just move to another apartment to get rid of the snake. :D

Great, except that spiders don't eat lizards, and snakes don't eat spiders. Back to square one for you, I guess :D

Does anyone know how to get rid of lizards, big hairy spiders and big snakes??? :o

(Ajarn @ Mon 2004-09-20, 17:54:56)
(Gazza @ Mon 2004-09-20, 10:47:09)

Just get a big hairy spider to get rid of the chingjok. Then get a big snake to get rid of the spider. Then...errr....just move to another apartment to get rid of the snake. 

Great, except that spiders don't eat lizards, and snakes don't eat spiders. Back to square one for you, I guess

Does anyone know how to get rid of lizards, big hairy spiders and big snakes???

Set fire to your condo? :o

(Ajarn @ Mon 2004-09-20, 17:54:56)
(Gazza @ Mon 2004-09-20, 10:47:09)

Just get a big hairy spider to get rid of the chingjok. Then get a big snake to get rid of the spider. Then...errr....just move to another apartment to get rid of the snake. 

Great, except that spiders don't eat lizards, and snakes don't eat spiders. Back to square one for you, I guess

Does anyone know how to get rid of lizards, big hairy spiders and big snakes???

Set fire to your condo? :D

I can't because the anteater that I bought to get rid of the snake keeps hiding me <deleted>' matches. :o

Well, thanks for all the answers. Not all very practical, but all were very entertaining, thanks.

To answer the question 'why?' - the other occupant of the room is terrified of moving things. Fortunately, as I am related to a sloth, she doesn't mind me. Personally, the lizards don't bother me a great deal - they don't bite me or steal my food, so I can tolerate them. But the the sight of a lizard will fill her with wide-eyed terror that lasts days.

We are free from Cockroaches due to careful control of foodstuffs. Mozzies are rare and can be got rid of using plug-in thingies or one of those electric tennis rackets (a lot of fun!).

I've put stuff round the doors to try and stop them coming in, but I am never to go get the room airtight, so they are going to come in now and then.

Ideally, I'd like to prevent them from wanting to come in in the first place. Failing that, I want to be able to get rid of it quickly before the screaming bursts my eardrums

You wont stop them coming in. Period.

If they have a way to get in, they will continue to come in day after day after day.

(by the way, the mossie screen thing doesnt work, every door and window in my house has mossie screens and i can always count at least 3 lizards inside the darn house)

Your only real option (in my opinion) is to get a cat (or get a new girlfriend)

My guess is that the real reason you longer have roaches - is because the jingjoks ate them all.

My cat keeps the lizard population down - though I have tried to teach him to leave them alone. Now, finally, there is a small population of very smart jingjoks that pretty much stay out of his sight and do a good job of keepin the skeeters out.

I find them delightful to have around. Just another wonder of living in Thailand.