Wagyu Beef!

thaigerd

Just have been in BKK for testng and tasting that kind of beef.

Absolutely tender and juicy as you can see from the pictures, but not cheap at all.

....and guess what I am just cooking for our own dinner tonight???

Lentil stew with minced pork ball sand a lot of bacon!!! :o

Gerd

hmmmm Beef looks good - nice marbeling - dread to ask for the KG price ...... trust the Bacon is Eurogourmet bacon?

Bon Appetite

p.s. if you like a realy nice steak sauce .. we will be placing some Gorgonzola sauce into the Phuket Deli in the next few days - our Rep has it in stock already... :o

Wagyu is tasty. This does not look like Japanese Wagyu. I could be wrong, but it does not look like it to me.

FYI - Wagyu street price in Tokyo can be more than 1,500 Baht/100 grams :D There is a resturant which sells some beef from a farm which only produces like 30 heads of cattle per year. The top steak dinner, if my memory serves me correctly, was about 65,000 Baht :D

My dinner tonight was the bargain basement jaw breaker Aussie beef import 53 Baht/100 grams. :o

TheWalkingMan

hmmmm Beef looks good - nice marbeling - dread to ask for the KG price ...... trust the Bacon is Eurogourmet bacon?

Bon Appetite

p.s. if you like a realy nice steak sauce .. we will be placing some Gorgonzola sauce into the Phuket Deli in the next few days - our Rep has it in stock already... :o

John believe it or not:

The bacon in my lentil stew was from EURO Gourmet, what else :D

Wagyu: Top quality(the highest grade of marbelling 12* is around 7000.-Baht/kg

Gerd

Wagyu is tasty. This does not look like Japanese Wagyu. I could be wrong, but it does not look like it to me.

FYI - Wagyu street price in Tokyo can be more than 1,500 Baht/100 grams :D There is a resturant which sells some beef from a farm which only produces like 30 heads of cattle per year. The top steak dinner, if my memory serves me correctly, was about 65,000 Baht :D

My dinner tonight was the bargain basement jaw breaker Aussie beef import 53 Baht/100 grams. :o

TheWalkingMan

You are a bit wrong:

The beef on my pictures is a 7grade Wagyu, the highest grade is 9++ or up to 12.

The company which presentated this meat is an Australian one.

There are only 2 meat companies in Australia who have a special certification to import Wagyu into Japan, they are one of them.

When I have a 12grade tenderloin here I will post a picture here.

Gerd

My dinner tonight was the bargain basement jaw breaker Aussie beef import 53 Baht/100 grams. :D

TheWalkingMan

You are a bit wrong:

The beef on my pictures is a 7grade Wagyu, the highest grade is 9++ or up to 12.

The company which presentated this meat is an Australian one.

There are only 2 meat companies in Australia who have a special certification to import Wagyu into Japan, they are one of them.

When I have a 12grade tenderloin here I will post a picture here.

Gerd

Moi?? Wrong?? Never happen :D

So 7grade Wagyu is just a tad above average. :o

Actually, if you look at Japanese Wagyu over a period of time and then look at other Wagyu, or even look at standard Japanese beef and compare it to other standard beef, you will see a difference. Maybe it is the coloration or the swirls of fat...I am not sure. However it did not take away the fact that I was correct in stating that this was not Japanese Wagyu. Perhaps, I should have said explicitly that this beef does not appear to have been grown in Japan, which equals to many not Japanese Wagyu. My apologies for leading the masses astray.

Also, I thought that a ton of Japanese farmers were more than a little pissed that the Aussies were using the term Wagyu and selling it cheaper to other countries and undercutting the Japanese. I think that the Japanese farmers did not register the name Wagyu or were not able to register it. Hence the name Wagyu for this tasty looking beef grown in Australia. Just what I heard.

Make me a hamburger!

TheWalkingMan

how do the japs usually prepare beef?...I'm not talkin' about westernized stuff like yakitori (do they actually serve that stuff in Japan?). The only dishes that I've seen that use beef are shabu-shabu and sukiyaki where the beef is very thinly sliced before cooking... :o

Dude,

Yakitori is very, very popular in Japan. There are tons of yakitori restaurants scattered across the country. There are yakitori trucks which usually stop in the same places at a set time. There are places which sell uncooked chicken as well as yakitori. Yakitori is the cat's meow!

For those who do not know basically, Yaktori is grilled chicken pieces on a stick.

Many people like their steak cooked rare. Our Japanese friends love their red meat.

TheWalkingMan

how do the japs usually prepare beef?...I'm not talkin' about westernized stuff like yakitori (do they actually serve that stuff in Japan?). The only dishes that I've seen that use beef are shabu-shabu and sukiyaki where the beef is very thinly sliced before cooking... :o

Dude,

Yakitori is very, very popular in Japan. There are tons of yakitori restaurants scattered across the country. There are yakitori trucks which usually stop in the same places at a set time. There are places which sell uncooked chicken as well as yakitori. Yakitori is the cat's meow!

For those who do not know basically, Yaktori is grilled chicken pieces on a stick.

Many people like their steak cooked rare. Our Japanese friends love their red meat.

TheWalkingMan

oops...I must've got the name wrong...I'm talkin' about places that got an asian looking guy doin' a juggling act with the knives while slicing up stuff (beef, chicken, shrimp, veges) to cook onna big griddle with diners(almost always western folks) arranged around in bar stool fashion; usually to be found in 'japanese' restaurants in up market hotels and obscenely expensive...

they actually got steak on restaurant menus in Japan that don't cater to foreigners? :D

Edited by tutsiwarrior

7000 Baht a Kilo who do they think they are. You can buy Thai cattle for 15000. I have 200 Thai Cows and can produce for my own use good beef.

Tender Juicy and everything these people talk about. The best beef is from argentina anyway not america what a rip off.

• 3 weeks later...
7000 Baht a Kilo who do they think they are. You can buy Thai cattle for 15000. I have 200 Thai Cows and can produce for my own use good beef. Tender Juicy and everything these people talk about. The best beef is from argentina anyway not america what a rip off.

Well lets be honest... what are you basing you evaluation of argentinean beef on? I hope not on marbeling or ammount of silverskin/sinew present in argentinean beef? because the nature of argentinean cattle is this,,, decent flavor, low in marbleing, which renders argentinean beef well to slow moist gooking techniques.... is it the best beef available,, not even close.. As far as high end beef obviously the japanese have that market well covered with kobe, but there are respectable "waygu producers in australia and the u.s ie snake river, in the us one of the best producers.. Thai beef? lets be honest its great for certian cooking.

Grilling with thai french is ok as long as the meat is cooked no more than med rare... anything over med rare the meat starts to show its flaws, by this i mean the lack of fat content.. the meat quickly becomes tough and stringy,, compare a decent peice of us beef next to the best thai french........ no contest, the high costs of much beef from the us/japan is caused by the diets of these animals and dry aging,,, water loss= higher flavor concentration= lower product weight= lower yeild on the finished product= higher prices.... Of these 200 cattle that you have what is you average weight per head? what is the bfi on you cattle? what are they fed? what purpose do you raise your cattle for? But lets be honest us beef tops the market no question about it...