Grounding/earthing Rod

Back in Dec. 5, 2006 I had my house rewired, due to the fact that NONE of the circuits were grounded/earthed. Now my house is electricaly safe (or safer)with the proper specs and properly grounded/earthed circuits. At this point, I again would like to thank Crossy, Elkangorito, Lopburi3, and others for there help. Before my house was a death trap waiting to happen, but thanks to their help/advise and others, my house is safe, thanks guys.

I installed a 1.5cm x 2.5meter electrical grade copper earthing/grounding rod. It has now been over a year since this was installed. I also, after the rod was installed and the electrical connection was made, spray painted the connection to prevent corrosion/oxidation of the contacts. I perform regular tests of the GFI/ELCB (Safe-T-Cut set at 5ma) and there is no problem. Since it has been over a year, how long does the earthing/grounding rod last? Just to make it clear, I am NOT having any problems, but I would like to keep it that way. I just have no idea how long the earthing rod is suppose to last. My main concern is safety over cost. The rod was so cheap (compaired to my life) that if there is any reason to replace it, I would. Without pulling the rod out, to see it's condition, is there any way to tell what it's condition is? Is ther any reason to think the copper earthing/grounding rod is decomposing in the soil? Anyone out there have any idea as to the life of a copper Earthing/grounding rod?

Thanks again to all!

Jimmi

<br />Back in Dec. 5, 2006 I had my house rewired, due to the fact that NONE of the circuits were grounded/earthed. Now my house is electricaly safe (or safer)with the proper specs and properly grounded/earthed circuits. At this point, I again would like to thank Crossy, Elkangorito, Lopburi3, and others for there help. Before my house was a death trap waiting to happen, but thanks to their help/advise and others, my house is safe, thanks guys. <br /><br />I installed a 1.5cm x 2.5meter electrical grade copper earthing/grounding rod. It has now been over a year since this was installed. I also, after the rod was installed and the electrical connection was made, spray painted the connection to prevent corrosion/oxidation of the contacts. I perform regular tests of the GFI/ELCB (Safe-T-Cut set at 5ma) and there is no problem. Since it has been over a year, how long does the earthing/grounding rod last? Just to make it clear, I am NOT having any problems, but I would like to keep it that way. I just have no idea how long the earthing rod is suppose to last. My main concern is safety over cost. The rod was so cheap (compaired to my life) that if there is any reason to replace it, I would. Without pulling the rod out, to see it's condition, is there any way to tell what it's condition is? Is ther any reason to think the copper earthing/grounding rod is decomposing in the soil? Anyone out there have any idea as to the life of a copper Earthing/grounding rod?<br /><br />Thanks again to all!<br /><br />Jimmi<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Depends I should think on soil type acidity? I often wondered if they could not use anything else material wise? I usually find old houses in the uk that the rod's still there but the attatched wire has corroded away instead!

I don't know about the soil type, not sure how to test. The wire I used was PVC 750v 70c 10mm. The same day the wire was installed, I painted the entire length of the wire on the outside of my house, and then spray painted ( 3 times/coates) the electrical connection. The wire is very close to where I sit on my front poarch. I look at it about everyday. It looks (the wire and rod top) to be in great shape. I simply have no idea how long the rod, the section in the soil, the part I can not inspect, is expected to last.

Thanks xyborg, that is good to hear that in your experience, the rods does seem to last for some time. :o