Where Can I Get An Anti Pollution Mask In Bangers ?

moldy

My symptom is an allergic type reaction when I come in to contact with traffic fumes, but I have to spend some time out on the streets, and around areas like Pratunam. At best it's inconvenient, at worst I can get ill and even suffer sinus pain for long periods of time. My nose seems to take the brunt all the time and sometimes I get a bacterial infection too. My chest and throat are clear. I have seen various doctors and had allergy tests, the consensus is non allergic rhinitis.

I don't think there is a medicine that can help this type of problem- am I right?

I don't think I can really get rid of the bacteria in my nose without resorting to long term use of antibiotics- is that right too?

So I need a decent mask, of the sort used by cyclists I guess. Anybody know where I can find one in Bangkok?

• 1 month later...

cyclist's masks from any bicycle shop.

avoiding air conditioned rooms - instead of it opening windows wide (hope you live far the the polluted and noisy roads)

using poy-sian (the thai inhaller) will desinfect your nose chamber and freshen up

So I need a decent ask, of the sort used by cyclists I guess. Anybody know where I can find one in Bangkok?

I can answer part of your question.

There is a brand of mask that I wear everyday called "NeoMask."

It comes in different colors, and has a black filtered mask inside. It's made in the west.

It's been very helpful for me. I had coughs, itchy throat, wheezing and all kinds of respiratory problems because of traffic pollution.

I don't know where you can find, it, but the brand NeoMask has been the best for me.

So I need a decent ask, of the sort used by cyclists I guess. Anybody know where I can find one in Bangkok?

I can answer part of your question.

There is a brand of mask that I wear everyday called "NeoMask."

It comes in different colors, and has a black filtered mask inside. It's made in the west.

It's been very helpful for me. I had coughs, itchy throat, wheezing and all kinds of respiratory problems because of traffic pollution.

I don't know where you can find, it, but the brand NeoMask has been the best for me.

Thanks for the answers.

As a temp. measure I obtained a very good mask from Tesco.

I'm also keeping an eye on daily pollution levels, if any body is interested consult Bangkok Post weather forecast, or Google - air quality Bangkok for a detailed breakdown in your area.

It seems the areas I frequent are quite hazardous, eg, Thanon Sukhumvit because a lot of the polluted air becomes trapped under the sky train and there are tall narrow buildings either side, so I'll be extra careful (in more ways than one :o ).

• 5 months later...

I would recommend checking out the mask from G-Flow. All the foreigners in Taiwan are wearing them. The website is www.gflowmask.com and I think they'll send to you in Thailand. It's not so far, so if you ask them, they may not even charge the extra international shipping (shipping from Taiwan is cheap...tell them you know!). It's one of those neoprene active carbon pollution masks. A foreigner started it up cause he was so sick of the air.

FWIW: Foodland sell Kleen Mask in two grades at 40 Baht each. The red pack (grey mask) has a 5 micron filter and the blue pack (white mask) has a 0.5 micron filter. I use the blues to fight my way through the enormous crowds of filthy smokers that congregate outside the entrances at work, reds when I'm grinding the paint off my boat.

FWIW: Foodland sell Kleen Mask in two grades at 40 Baht each. The red pack (grey mask) has a 5 micron filter and the blue pack (white mask) has a 0.5 micron filter. I use the blues to fight my way through the enormous crowds of filthy smokers that congregate outside the entrances at work, reds when I'm grinding the paint off my boat.

Join the pollution victims gang.

2 Interim solutions:

1. Lotus diy section has a better than your usual mask at around 60bt.

2. Cycle/Motor cycle shops, which are littered along many secondary shopping streets sell masks of varying quality 60bt up. Some have charcoal

I want to find a proper one too- fingers crossed.

If you are prone to the effects of smog then nasal rinsing may help if your nose tends to run- simply buy a squeezy bottle of aline solution from pharmacy or Lotus again.

My symptom is an allergic type reaction when I come in to contact with traffic fumes, but I have to spend some time out on the streets, and around areas like Pratunam. At best it's inconvenient, at worst I can get ill and even suffer sinus pain for long periods of time. My nose seems to take the brunt all the time and sometimes I get a bacterial infection too. My chest and throat are clear. I have seen various doctors and had allergy tests, the consensus is non allergic rhinitis.

I don't think there is a medicine that can help this type of problem- am I right?

I don't think I can really get rid of the bacteria in my nose without resorting to long term use of antibiotics- is that right too?

So I need a decent mask, of the sort used by cyclists I guess. Anybody know where I can find one in Bangkok?

Ah yes, just read the whole posting. I could have written the self same thing myself not so long ago. Pratunam market is particularly nasty because there are chemicals and dust from the clothes too. Sukhumvit is also bad due to the trapped smoke and dust from construction work.

The first thing is a camera up the hooter, you may have narrow nasal passages or a deviated septum. If so a doctor may recommend a nasal steroid. Really helped me. you may need a course of antibiotics but yes it sounds like you have temporarily blocked sinuses. The pain can be awful I know.

For emergencies I use iliadin- but only once a month. I use it to head off bacterial infection if I feel blocked for more than a day. it also opens the sinus ducts. note you must not use this medicine more than once a month.

You need to do nasal rinsing. it doesn't need to be elaborate. Hot showers help clear the sinuses too.

You are right, in my opinion, anti hists do nothing, although the older ones are quite calming.

You are on to the mask which is good, but also cut down on exposure and if poss give yourself 2 days off for 1 day on with the markets.

Sorry if you smoke, but smoking although not a cause is an antagonist. Air con has a similar effect.

What we have can't be cured because it isn't an illness, but over a period of time it can be tackled.

The sinus pain, which is actually worse than having real sinusitis in my experience, can be virtually eliminated, as can the severity of the infections. But the sneezing and runny nose can't. But over a period of time the swelling diminishes, and I personally have become less prone to allergic attacks. I still get them though.

Altogether I suffer much less pain- about 70% less, and using a nasal steroid was a very big factor for me, and stopping smoking too.

ps: Medically what we have is indeed non allergic rhinitis, but it may also include vaso motor rhinitis. Work out if rapid changes in weather, strong sunlight, big changes from hot to cold, eg, walking off street into air con mall, and loud noise are also factors.

Working these factors along side the foul air and we begin to realise just why so many of us suffer the same condition. BKK the mother and father of all inexplicable

allergic reactions :o