Tata Young Is Not A Thai Citizen

TheGameJustIs

We know a Thai woman who became an American citizen several years ago, more for convenience than anything else. But whenever she travels to Thailand, she still gets the same treatment and benefits as any other Thai citizen. Last time she went there she planned on staying two months. She decided to stay longer to help her mother, I think she was there for almost a year. No visa extentions were necessary, and no overstay fines. Sort of like "once a Thai, always a Thai".

I know more than a few (several Heng's included as well) in the same situation, but visa extensions ARE indeed necessary if they enter on their American (or whatever non-Thai) passports. But yes, they don't lose their Thai citizenship or anything and the ones that enter on their Thai passports obviously don't have to deal with any of that... but for one reason or another, many still choose to enter on their non-Thai passports and to go through the foreigner immigration hoops (but instead of actually having to leave the country, they just get one year extensions based on their Thai citizenship credentials: id card + house registration, at Suan Phlu or their local immigration office: and yes, they do have to report their address every 90 days as well). The ones I have spoken to do so because they are concerned that since that they are "only" naturalized US (or whatever) citizens, that they stand to lose that status if they continue to travel around on their home country passports.

:o

We know a Thai woman who became an American citizen several years ago, more for convenience than anything else. But whenever she travels to Thailand, she still gets the same treatment and benefits as any other Thai citizen. Last time she went there she planned on staying two months. She decided to stay longer to help her mother, I think she was there for almost a year. No visa extentions were necessary, and no overstay fines. Sort of like "once a Thai, always a Thai".

I know more than a few (several Heng's included as well) in the same situation, but visa extensions ARE indeed necessary if they enter on their American (or whatever non-Thai) passports. But yes, they don't lose their Thai citizenship or anything and the ones that enter on their Thai passports obviously don't have to deal with any of that... but for one reason or another, many still choose to enter on their non-Thai passports and to go through the foreigner immigration hoops (but instead of actually having to leave the country, they just get one year extensions based on their Thai citizenship credentials: id card + house registration, at Suan Phlu or their local immigration office: and yes, they do have to report their address every 90 days as well). The ones I have spoken to do so because they are concerned that since that they are "only" naturalized US (or whatever) citizens, that they stand to lose that status if they continue to travel around on their home country passports.

About the woman we know, I'm not sure if she still had her Thai credentials or not when she went. This was the first time back in a good number of years. Even so, once in the country, renewal is no problem.

Considering Tata Young's celeb status, it's hard to imagine she'd have a problem.

About the woman we know, I'm not sure if she still had her Thai credentials or not when she went. This was the first time back in a good number of years. Even so, once in the country, renewal is no problem.

Considering Tata Young's celeb status, it's hard to imagine she'd have a problem.

Yeah, my point was that renewal is required... but yes, I agree that in general it's not a problem.

Tata travels in and out on her Thai passport, like most inter-Thais and luk krungs (the ones with dual nationality anyway)... using one's second passport to enter and exit one's destination country.

Tata travels in and out on her Thai passport, like most inter-Thais and luk krungs (the ones with dual nationality anyway)... using one's second passport to enter and exit one's destination country.

Stock standard operating procedure for duals.

Dual nationals are barred from serving the the US Armed Forces unless they renounce their citizenship with the other country.

I was considering getting my Thai citizenship, but opted not to as it would have prevented me from doing AFROTC along with college/university courses (free doctorate and continuing the family Air Force tradition =).

I guess it'll have to wait another 10 years.

Dual nationals are barred from serving the the US Armed Forces unless they renounce their citizenship with the other country.

I was considering getting my Thai citizenship, but opted not to as it would have prevented me from doing AFROTC along with college/university courses (free doctorate and continuing the family Air Force tradition =).

I guess it'll have to wait another 10 years.

Thats a good thing...Private Tata just sounds a little too XXX for me :o

This must have changed in recent years. When I was in the US Navy from 1980 thru 1984 (a long time ago I admit) there were at lot of foreign nationals serving in the US military particularly Philipinos, Koreans and Mexicans. I also knew a few English and Irish sailors as well. Some had dual nationality but most were 100% foreign nationals. US citizenship was required to be an officer or hold a security clearance however.