Which Linux

h90

i made the mistake to let my staff look in the internet with winXP. Actually some important softare is running on windows so I can't change. Now I want to use our oldest computer as dual boot linux/xp computer. just in Linux you can use internet. Thinking of firefox. As it is the oldest computer which Linus shall I use?

dual boot.....

Hi h90,

What is a old computer? The definitions of old can be a bit off in Thailand, we have a small computer, Intel Celeron 1400Mhz socket 370 (Pentium III), with 384mb memory and SiS 630 chipset, running with Fedora 8. This work pretty good for casual Internet browsing. Which means if not opening huge PDF or Flash 9 files it works great.

We could speed up things by running a more light weight windows manager, we now run Gnome 2.20, as everybody knows Gnome in our office, it is the logical choice. (we not use dual boot)

Ubuntu is a good one.  If they send ya the cd that s great won't have to down load it.  PClinuxOS I have been using with KDE desktop is vary XP like and can select between number of web browsers.  Opera is great on a linux.  Most importent is any linux is better then no linux and once you get started with it you'll start using it for other things.

Everyone say Ubuntu, but I have to respectfully disagree. If it's an old computer, might be a hassle. Why not Puppy? You could dual boot, or even better, just run the live CD most of the time, then pop it out when they want to work with XP. I used it for a while on an old box with a CD-RW, and you can even save your sessions. Downside is, Puppy doesn't come in Thai. But I installed the Thai fonts no problem and set FF to use them and presto.

Good luck! In the end, it's all linux.

JN

I'll keep shouting it from the rooftops till everyone knows: USE SLAX. Very small foot print, can be udated with modules, and if you put it on a write protected thumb drive, you don't have to worry about getting all sorts of nastys on your computer.

Not to mention it's a teeny-tiny download.

I set up Ubuntu on a friend's old 800Mhx with 256Mb of RAM and more or less 16MB video card. It works like a charm for internet, email... Distros like Debian and many others should work as well.

For oldest computers, Xubuntu or stuff like that will be perfect.

If you really want to play it safe, and use all power for your application you can always install the lightweight Xfce Windows manager. Xfce does maybe not look as good as KDE or Gnome, but it also uses 50% resources and is still able to do everything you would need from a Windows Manager.

Check out the Xfce homepage http://www.xfce.org/

If you really want to play it safe, and use all power for your application you can always install the lightweight Xfce Windows manager. Xfce does maybe not look as good as KDE or Gnome, but it also uses 50% resources and is still able to do everything you would need from a Windows Manager.

Check out the Xfce homepage http://www.xfce.org/

As jackk said, Xubuntu is the Xfce version of Ubuntu.

Xubuntu