American Citizen Married To Thai In Bangkok

Hello,

I'm an american citizen who just returned from Thailand and got married.

We registered our marriage with the ministry of foreign affairs and district office amphur in Bangkok so it's official.

My plan is to have her and eventually her son move to the states. I would like my wife to come ASAP.

What is the fastest, easiest and most efficient way of getting her here? I understand K3 visa would probably be best solution? Would it be best for her to start processing the visa in Thailand or should I do all of the work here in the states? Can you provide a list of all supporting documents that I would need to have processed?

Any information would be appreciated, thank you.

Hello,

I'm an american citizen who just returned from Thailand and got married.

We registered our marriage with the ministry of foreign affairs and district office amphur in Bangkok so it's official.

My plan is to have her and eventually her son move to the states. I would like my wife to come ASAP.

What is the fastest, easiest and most efficient way of getting her here? I understand K3 visa would probably be best solution? Would it be best for her to start processing the visa in Thailand or should I do all of the work here in the states? Can you provide a list of all supporting documents that I would need to have processed?

Any information would be appreciated, thank you.

I did that many years ago. Only mistake was getting in a hurry bringing my wife first, without her daughter. Even at that time, paperwork for child disappeared into the mill and I finally ended up getting an immigration attorney to chase it down, taking 8 months.

Would advise bringing both together will save untold aggravation. If at all possible.

May be different now but most likely worse.

Edited by oldgeezer

Hello,

Would it be best for her to start processing the visa in Thailand or should I do all of the work here in the states?

She cannot apply for it in Thailand. You need to apply for her, since you are the US citizen. Since you do not live in Thailand, you need to apply from the US.

Only mistake was getting in a hurry bringing my wife first, without her daughter.

If you apply for the K3 visa, you can also apply for a K2 at the same time for the child. Then you will have one year from when your wife enters the US to bring the child over. If it is going to be much longer for the child, then you would need to file a separate application for the child at a later date.

It's actually a K4 visa for dependent children, not K2. But I am just splitting hairs. :o Good advice JST

K-3 and K-4 visas allow a spouse and dependents to remain in the US while their immigration application is being processed.

GunnyD