Sinsot Question (yet Another One)

BlueFeb

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice comparision!

I am not in the West, so have to abide to the local culture. I agree with this, if

the local culture allows me to have the same rights as the locals.

In Thailand:

-I cannot buy land

-Cannot vote

-Am double priced in many cases

-Get a visa from year to year

-Have hardly any legal protection when it comes to trouble

-Didn't recieve interest over my saving acoount

You want me to go on?

I'm not gonna say " So why the heck do you stay there ", but ................................. :o

In Thailand:

Buy a Condo.

Who cares who's in Power, Americans have the vote and look what happened there.

Avoid places that double charge you.

That's reasonable.

Money can buy legal protection.

.75% interest in Bangkok Bank Savings account, 2.25 % in Fixed account.

Please do.............. :D

Edited by Maigo6

The OP has an old story, and considers it new...simply because it happend to him. As with many farangs, he has fallen in love with the first bargirl he meets. If his GF complains about money now, does he think it going to get better after they're married?

Have you ever jumperd on a bus, not knowing its destination and, after a couple hours you get off the bus and exclaim, "Hey, this isn't where I wanted to go?" Of course not. Unfortunately a lot of guys do that with personal relationships, refusing to ask important questions believing they will "hurt her feelings". Here's an idea: as soon as the relationship turns "serious", ask questions about marriage, family, and sin sod. Waiting until a week before the wedding to ask this sort of question makes you look foolish. Too, all guys should nurture a friendships with Thais and, when a question relating to family arises, he can ask for an opinion of a disinterested third party. Too late for the OP, though.

Please come with arguments why sin sod should be paid by foreigners.

You don't have to pay, nobody is putting a gun against your head forcing a sin sot payment.

Marry a girl from the UK and maybe her Father will pay for the wedding, who knows, maybe he won't cos he can't.

Nobody drags you onto a plane , forces you to go to Thailand to meet a girl and marry her, so of course you dont have to pay, it's your choice. :D

Exactly. I'm not really sure why these posts go on and on. It's a personal choice to pay sinsod or not. Just as leaving Thailand is a personal choice. (Or stay in Thailand and bitch, that's a choice too).

Usually, the same guys that bitch about sinsod also bitch when their mate buys his Thai lady a lot of gold. The first guy gets pissed because now HIS Thai lady wants more gold too...... :o:D In the states it's called, "keeping up with the Jones".

Thailand is a bit like Las Vegas. A lot of things free but some folks just can't afford them. :D

The OP has an old story, and considers it new...simply because it happend to him. As with many farangs, he has fallen in love with the first bargirl he meets. If his GF complains about money now, does he think it going to get better after they're married?

Have you ever jumperd on a bus, not knowing its destination and, after a couple hours you get off the bus and exclaim, "Hey, this isn't where I wanted to go?" Of course not. Unfortunately a lot of guys do that with personal relationships, refusing to ask important questions believing they will "hurt her feelings". Here's an idea: as soon as the relationship turns "serious", ask questions about marriage, family, and sin sod. Waiting until a week before the wedding to ask this sort of question makes you look foolish. Too, all guys should nurture a friendships with Thais and, when a question relating to family arises, he can ask for an opinion of a disinterested third party. Too late for the OP, though.

I like your idea but here's mine from post #55.

I suggest to ALL the farangs that don't believe in sinsod that on the first date they should wear a shirt inscribed, "I DON'T PAY SINSOD!". This could save a lot of time and heartache.

:o:D

In many westerners culture it is customary for the brides family to pay for the wedding. How receptive to this idea do you think most Thai families are?

You Ain't in the West !!!!!!

I'm sure a Thai guy living in the West would love not to pay a sin sot and have his brides Family pay for the wedding too, but it ain't like that in his own country, Thailand!!!!!

I think you are way off base on this one; I personally know Americans who have met their Thai wives IN AMERICA; one who's family are quite wealthy. Did they pay for their wedding in the states? No, he still had to pay sin sod and have a Thai wedding.

It don't matter where you are; Thailand or otherwise, Thais are concerned only with their own culture and place little importance on others.

There does seem to be quite a bit of inequity when it comes to how some Thai people treat the customs and cultures of Westerners. Nevertheless, I am quite happy with the life I have made for myself and my wife here. I doubt we will ever live in my home country, though it isn't absolutely out of the question.

I told my girlfriend that I was willing to pay a 300,000 Baht Sinsot to her parents and I didn't expect anything back.

She was very happy for a while, until..............

I told her the 300k was for her 18 year old sister, not her, she gets nothing! lol. :o

In many westerners culture it is customary for the brides family to pay for the wedding. How receptive to this idea do you think most Thai families are?

You Ain't in the West !!!!!!

I'm sure a Thai guy living in the West would love not to pay a sin sot and have his brides Family pay for the wedding too, but it ain't like that in his own country, Thailand!!!!!

I think you are way off base on this one; I personally know Americans who have met their Thai wives IN AMERICA; one who's family are quite wealthy. Did they pay for their wedding in the states? No, he still had to pay sin sod and have a Thai wedding.

It don't matter where you are; Thailand or otherwise, Thais are concerned only with their own culture and place little importance on others.

while i agree with what you say, i thinks its you who is off base.

no he didnt have to pay sin sod, he chose to pay it, as they say over here, up to you.

on your second point, i would actually take that a step further and say they place no importance on other cultures, unless it is to their advantage.

You guys crack me up :o I have been two 3 weddings one was mine. My father inlaw and I had a long man to man chat. Here is what we came up with. 500,000 baht a little over 15,000 USA. Since I was going to stay with my wife in Thailand and not take her away, the deal was I was going to buy a new pickup truck ( I was going to anyway ) . As you know or dont know that the SidSod is displayed for all to see with gold braclets and gold bars so forth. Nearing the end of the ceremony the mother imlaw grabs the money and runs off. Lots of laughing going on. In my case since I had bought my Truck or should I say the Family truck and the money somehow ( my wife ) was deposited back into our banking account. My father inlaw also gave us 20 rai of his farm to get us started. By the way do you know how much a wedding cost here in the USA? Heck just the wedding dress cost about 3,000 grand, unless the brides father is a cheap charlie. I it sounds like some of you would not give 1 penny for your dauthers wedding.

Idiot who stated that Thai's dont like farangs, maybe some do, but I have not seen this, maybe because I respect Thai culture, Buddhism, and speek some Thai :D .

It's the norm among many Thais for the mother to simply hand over the bundle of valuables to some trusted family member or to lock it all in the house safe to be returned to the bride AND groom within a few minutes to a few hours (depending on how drawn out the watering ceremony is... it can go on quite awhile if you have hundreds of guests). The mother then returns to the room to continue to be part of the ceremony.

:o