Pre-nuptial Agreements

jastheace

dunno if anyone can put us in the picture,but...

i need to be married to register my 2 y o son at the uk embassy for dual citizenship,but i don't trust his mum an awful lot.

is a pre-nup legal in thailand,does it have any standing if the marriage falls flat,(likely)

where can they be done , any one else done one,at what sort of cost blah blah etc

What do you want to put in the pre-nup?

I very much doubt that you would get control / custody of your son if things went pear-shaped, whatever documentation you had.

The Thai courts will recognise his Thai mother rather than farang father.

If you got him to the uK, maybe different, but not necessarily - if the mother has a court order from the Thai court.

What do you want to put in the pre-nup?

its more about losing my lifes savings,she knows that i may re-settle with him in the uk at some stage,thats not a prob with her

but she a devious sort (sound familiar?) and her friends like to stir things up as well,

so its about protecting my money basically

dunno if anyone can put us in the picture,but...

i need to be married to register my 2 y o son at the uk embassy for dual citizenship,but i don't trust his mum an awful lot.

is a pre-nup legal in thailand,does it have any standing if the marriage falls flat,(likely)

where can they be done , any one else done one,at what sort of cost blah blah etc

Prenuptial agreements are allowed pursuant to Thailand law if they meet certain requirements. It is advisable to have a qualified law office assist you with the preparation of a prenuptial agreement and the translation and legalization of such an agreement pursuant to Thai law. Prenuptial agreements, when prepared correctly, are generally considered valid legal agreements in jurisdictions outside of Thailand. Although litigation can be an unpredictable process and the laws of different countries may vary.

the law changed fairly recently & in most cases you no longer need to be married to register a child as a british citizen & getting a UK passport when one parent is british by descent. Check out the visa section of the forum for more informaiton. This will save you having to marry.

Maybe I'm a bit behind the times here, but I was under the impression that you needed to have been married at the time the child was born to claim British citizenship for him.

as per the british embassy,child needs to be legitimised before he can be registered.the rules changed about a year and half ago,if born after july 2006 no need to marry,just my luck. :o

i understand i can still register him without going through marriage,but its very very expensive and i don't like the words on the form from embassy,saying its at their discretion.the marriage will also give me a lever for non-o visa's anyway,as i am on t r 's at the mo.

looks like this needs some pro advice,thanks tho :D

You don't have to marry. You can apply to the Home Office in the UK through the embassy in Bangkok to register your son as a British citizen. The cost is approximately £450.00.

Scouse.

as per the british embassy,child needs to be legitimised before he can be registered.the rules changed about a year and half ago,if born after july 2006 no need to marry,just my luck. :o

i understand i can still register him without going through marriage,but its very very expensive and i don't like the words on the form from embassy,saying its at their discretion.the marriage will also give me a lever for non-o visa's anyway,as i am on t r 's at the mo.

I am not sure that £450.00 is expensive, when in regard to your Son.

Moss

You don't have to marry. You can apply to the Home Office in the UK through the embassy in Bangkok to register your son as a British citizen. The cost is approximately £450.00.

Scouse.

Moss

its the wording on the form from the embassy,married ,piece of cake 100 quid,cheers

not married,pay 450 and ''''' erm...maybe.....'''''

its not the 450 that would be a prob ,its the '''''maybe''''' that may mean NO !!!

Scouse.

Moss

its the wording on the form from the embassy,married ,piece of cake 100 quid,cheers

its not the 450 that would be a prob ,its the '''''maybe''''' that may mean NO !!!

I took some very serious legal advice on pre-nups before I got married, and discovered it just wasn't worth it from a legal point of view. My lawyer told me to just keep it hidden! But you can absolutely exclude pre-owned assets when you do the deed, by writing on the back of something - I think the marriage certificate - that XYZ assets will not form part of the joint financial arrangements after the marriage.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the registration of your son as a British citizen would be discretionary, but providing that you are British "otherwise than by descent", I'd stick my next year's salary on it sailing through.

As you identify, the law changed as of 1 July 2006 and children born since then in the same circumstances as your son automatically acquire British citizenship. It is this that effectively guarantees your son's registration as a Brit cit because it would be perverse for the Home Office to deny your son registration simply because of the date upon which he was born.

Having said that, it you want to marry and go that route, that's possible too.

Scouse.