Which Company Makes The Best Running/jogging/exercise Shoes?

Monroe

Was interested in anyone's opinion as to which company makes the best shoes for general exercise. I've gone through a few pairs in the last year by Adidas, Reebok and ECCO, but I'm thinking there's something better out there that can be readily obtained.

The Adidas were sub-par: too heavy, poorly made (broke apart), little padding, and for some reason have taken on a smell that I've never noticed in my other shoes. This happened with both pairs, so I'm thinking it's not just a poorly made shoe in the batch. Both shoes average at USD 110 each.

The Reeboks were alright, but nothing special. Around USD 80-90, so I got what I paid for.

The ECCO (not Ecko) shoes were probably my favorite of these. Lightweight, well padded, lacing was done well (never unlaced and it wasn't difficult to match lace pressure on either shoe) and were only USD 100. That being said, I still feel there's better out there at a reasonable price (no more than USD 150).

Would be interested on hearing people's opinions and maybe even descriptions.

Edited by Monroe

For the last 5 years i have used adidas running shoes. They are very lightweight, very good at keeping feet cool and long lasting. The only time i had an issue with them was running in the desert when the air temp was about 50 degrees C and the sand much hotter. The glue holding the outer sole melted and the sole fell off. But a splodge of contact adhesive made them as good as new again. I don't need to consider any other brand because the ones i have do exactly what i expect them to.

Nidge.

As a personal trainer and conducting outdoor boot camps in Bangkok 7 days a week I come up with the same problem! I need a hard wearing show that really does support my feet, as we do a lot of body weight training, sprints, plyometrics, bounding, and agility drills.

Rule number one...

Buy the shoe that fits you best! There is no one best shoe company.

I hadnt bought new shoes for about 2 years, due to the fact that there is such a poor selection of shoes here in Bangkok, however, I just couldnt put it off any longer. So I went around to many shops and tried about 10 pairs of shoes.

I ended up buying Saucony (Sok-a-nee). It was a no brainer, the shoe has to be the most comfortable shoe I have ever put on my foot. I am stoked to have found them. They are from the latest models call ortholite! And you will feel difference as soon as you stand up. It's light, airy and spongy!

Reasonably priced, at about 4200, you can find them at Sports Junction shops (MBK, Times Square, Sogo Erawan).

Asics are also an excellent running/cross training shoe however, Asics were not a good fit for my foot.

Hope this helps!

D.

I also like Saucony as they fit me very well and are comfortable. I have a pair of New Balance also that are comfy. Both are available in THailand (bkk). Try Sports Jctn first as noted above because they often have substantial sales on some shoes (50% off) if you are lucky enough to find your size.

Some decent information here, looked up all the listed shoe brands and saw some decent models.

The Adidas are alright, too--guess I just ran sour with their Bounce line. Though the Asics and Saucony shoes really got my attention. Unfortunately, Sports Authority doesn't have them in stock (nothing new there) so I'll have to go to a shoe store. Will be about 2 weeks before I have the time to check, but I'll get one of each (Asics for outdoor and Saucony for indoor).

Thanks y'all

I agree u can't go wrong with either Saucony, New Balance, or Asics. Decide which shoe by fit. I have used all 3 brands to run many miles and they all held up like champs. All available in Thailand.

:o

New Balance is good. I used to wear those all the time and was active with running quite a bit.

However, now I prefer Nikes (the real ones), which you can get at Siam. This is really the only place I would trust as you're essentially putting the integrity of your knees and other joints at stake.

If anybody knows where in Bangkok there is a good selection of large sizes, please let me know.

I'm not sure about my source at Siam Paragon/Discovery. But when I went there I got my (authentic) shoes at a discount. Thought they had a wide selection, but my foot size is only average anyways, so probably can't help you there.

Hi,

I find it really hard to find comfortable shoes even for everyday use. For running and aerobics, I tried many brands as well, and after discovering Nike got addicted to them. I don't usually go for brand name products, but Nike actually has excellent quality- the first time I bought a pair I didn't mean to buy at all, the shop assistant convinced me to try them on and I suddenly felt about 5 kilos lighter... I was sold. Anyway, now I usually go for the "Nike free" kind, they're a special type of sports shoes, extremely light and soft, often with flexible sizes such as S, M, L instead of numbers. There are lots of shops, I normally buy them from Pro Sport in Robinson Asoke as they often have sales.

Hope that helps

Asics are regarded very highly for jogging. I've been using Nike Pegasus since I ran the 1990 LA marathon. They are still my favorite shoe. Expensive Nike's just don't do my feet any favors. To each his own; try them all and when you find a pair you like just pray they keep making them.

• 2 months later...

It's been awhile, but I've seen older thread resurrected.

To add some closure to the thread, I decided to go with these shoes:

picvids002da6.th.jpg

picvids003dk1.th.jpg

Saucony ProGrid Paramount Running Shoes. Got them on sale at www.endless.com (owned by Amazon) for USD 136 with free next-day shipping. Original price was USD 165, and I tried them out at Sports Authority before ordering. Just wish they came in something other than gold.

and these are my previous running shoes:

picvids001hs3.th.jpg

picvids004avi8.th.jpg

I've circled a portion of the adidas shoe in the last picture that caused some grievances.

The plastic that used to be in that area broke off and weakened the structure. Whenever I stepped, the shoes would sink and produce a loud clicking noise. The problem began manifesting itself after about a month, but progressively became worse.

The structures on other parts of those shoes have also snapped, but have not fallen off so they can't be noticed in these pictures.

Asics are regarded very highly for jogging. I've been using Nike Pegasus since I ran the 1990 LA marathon. They are still my favorite shoe. Expensive Nike's just don't do my feet any favors. To each his own; try them all and when you find a pair you like just pray they keep making them.

I agree ASIC's are premier for running - very comfy/light on the feet. I own 3pair, personally think they're better than Nikes.

Edited by britmaveric

Last year in New Zealand I went to a place called The Athlete's foot (sports shoe shop) where they measure your feet and get you to do all sorts of steps and runs on to a special pad linked to a computer so they can fully analyse your feet (at no charge!!). They then gave me a few different types of shoes to try on based on this and the ones that I far and away found the most comfortable were Mizuno brand ... not being a hugely sporty person I didn't know the brand before then. They were the second most expensive shoe in the shop and certainly not the most attractive, but for the first time ever I do not get sore feet when doing aerobics/treadmill and I find them super comfortable. So I say, if possible, try and get your feet fully assessed so that you can get the right shoe .... not sure if this is possible in Thailand though!

Last year in New Zealand I went to a place called The Athlete's foot (sports shoe shop) where they measure your feet and get you to do all sorts of steps and runs on to a special pad linked to a computer so they can fully analyse your feet (at no charge!!). They then gave me a few different types of shoes to try on based on this and the ones that I far and away found the most comfortable were Mizuno brand ... not being a hugely sporty person I didn't know the brand before then. They were the second most expensive shoe in the shop and certainly not the most attractive, but for the first time ever I do not get sore feet when doing aerobics/treadmill and I find them super comfortable. So I say, if possible, try and get your feet fully assessed so that you can get the right shoe .... not sure if this is possible in Thailand though!

Slightly off topic but, each to there own foot fitting! Mizuno golf shoes for me are in a class of there own, tried a lot of other brands but for me they are the best fitting and most comfortable.

• 8 months later...

As golffit said in the 4th post on this thread the 'best' trainers are the ones that fit and support not only your feet but your achilles also.

You achilles should be supported in an upright position to you calf - essential you should beable draw a straight line throught the middle of your calf muscle and the achilles to the centre of the trainer.

The price or look of shoes is neither here nor there compared to the fit. The last perfect fitting trainers I had when I was seriously training cost me around $70 - they were the most expensive or the cheapest in the shop but they were the ones that gripped my foot and supported it in all the right places. Those trainers last about 2 years of frequent pounding - can't remember the make - might of been Puma but really the manufacturer was of no importance.

A perfect fitting $20 pair of trainers will do you more good than a pair of the latest and greatest but porr fitting Nike rip-offs.

:o

Edited by technocracy

Like an earlier poster said, the best shoe for you is the one that fits the best. New Balance were the first running shoes that I ever owned. Never a problem Addidas and Reebok are others that I buy. I stay away from Nike as they make my feet hurt.

Go to a shop and try on as many pairs as you like until you find one that fits. Good luck!

TheWalkingMan

Another vote for Asics. I have the 12 1/2 wide foot...haven't really found a pair of Nikes that didn't hang off the end of my toes like Bozo's....also Asics are competetively priced and seem to be lighter than most of the other shoes.

• 3 months later...

Another vote for Asics, the best without a doubt. I have run 20 marathons, the first few in Nike, the next several in Adidas, and the last 14 or so in Asics. Asics are by far the most comfortable and the ones most recommended by podiatrists. I used to have problems with blisters but not since i have worn Asics.

I ran the Great Wall marathon in China last weekend, while struggling up the wall in the final section i looked at the shoes people were wearing, about 70% of the runners were in Asics. Most of these peole are very dedicated runners so i think the proliferation of Asic shoes speaks volumes.

Another vote for Asics, the best without a doubt. I have run 20 marathons, the first few in Nike, the next several in Adidas, and the last 14 or so in Asics. Asics are by far the most comfortable and the ones most recommended by podiatrists. I used to have problems with blisters but not since i have worn Asics.

I ran the Great Wall marathon in China last weekend, while struggling up the wall in the final section i looked at the shoes people were wearing, about 70% of the runners were in Asics. Most of these peole are very dedicated runners so i think the proliferation of Asic shoes speaks volumes.

If you buy Asics you can determine the year of manufacture from the model no. (inside the tongue of the shoe) i.e. all 7xx shoes are 2007 models. This years models are 9xx. So if you see Asics shoes on offer they may be old stock up to 2-3 years old. This may not matter too much if you buy them in temperate climates, but if they have been stored in a hot climate the glues etc may have deteriorated (my opinion only).

However the price of this years top models is so exorbitant (7,000+ baht!) maybe last years models are worth considering. Better still check your home websites, buy over the net and pick them up on your next home visit. Sending by post/courier to Thailand is probably not a good idea.

Better still check your home websites, buy over the net and pick them up on your next home visit. Sending by post/courier to Thailand is probably not a good idea.

I live in Vietnam where finding shoes my size is impossible (regardless of the fact that all major manufacturers produce here). I have ordered my shoes over the web for the last couple of year, I know what model I want, and it has never been a problem. If it works for Vietnam, it should surely be possible in Thailand as well?