Can A Foreigner Own A Car In Their Own Name?

bagim

Hello to everyone on thai visa.This is my first time to post a question on thai visa so thank you in advance to the people who may reply to my question.

5 years ago i formed a thai LTD.CO to buy my house,my thai lawyer at that time said this was the best way for me to buy the property and it was also a legal way.I have a thai lawyer who's been taken care of the books for the last 5 years so everything regards the yearly tax returns is up to date.As i'm typing this post i realize i've more than one question.

I'm now thinking of applying for a retirement visa.My first question is if a person is the M.D of a thai LTD.CO can he apply for the retirement visa and still stay as the M.D of the LTD.CO.

2nd Question

If the thai LTD.CO borrowed money from the bank using the house in the Company's name as collateral to buy a new car should i register the car in the thai LTD.CO name or in my own name,which is the best move.

Thanks again.

Unless the rules have changed recently, you will need a non-immigrant visa of some sort, 30 day exempt stamp or tourist visa will not cut it. The reason is: Why would you need to own a car if you are here only 30 days (or 60)?

Also a residence certificate issued either by immigration or your embassy/consulate is required.

And a lot of patience, it can take all from 1 to 3 months to come true, so you will be on red plates for a while. This means you are not allowed to drive the car outside of your province, nor after dark (6pm). Again, unless the rules have changed recently.

Unless the rules have changed recently, you will need a non-immigrant visa of some sort, 30 day exempt stamp or tourist visa will not cut it.

I registered my new car on a 30 day stamp January 2006, so unless the rules have changed recently, any Visa will cut it. :o

Unless the rules have changed recently, you will need a non-immigrant visa of some sort, 30 day exempt stamp or tourist visa will not cut it.

I registered my new car on a 30 day stamp January 2006, so unless the rules have changed recently, any Visa will cut it. :o

Technically MeaMaxima is right, you do need a Non-Immigrant visa although that is sometimes overlooked.

Within the last 4 years two cars I owned were both registered in my name with no Non-Immigrant Visa.

Years ago Non 'O' was needed.

I did register my latest car in September 2006 (Honda/Pattaya) and was asked for this visa.

But I am happy to concede, and stand corrected, for all it is worth. I like to see improvements in efficiency.

But just be careful, and look to how much variation there is in interpretation and enforcement of the immigration rules, between offices, and even within one office...

If the thai LTD.CO borrowed money from the bank using the house in the Company's name as collateral to buy a new car should i register the car in the thai LTD.CO name or in my own name,which is the best move.

Thanks again.

Unless you have a Thai guarantor, or you or your company has income in Thailand, I very much doubt that any Thai bank will lend you money for buying the car. If buying a new car you may be able to get financing through the manufacturer.

Sophon

Thanks again.

Unless you have a Thai guarantor, or you or your company has income in Thailand, I very much doubt that any Thai bank will lend you money for buying the car. If buying a new car you may be able to get financing through the manufacturer.

Sophon

I had my wife as guarantor - before we were married, but she has no income, no credit, and no bank account, so it really wasn't in the role of guarantor, more of a cosigner. The car is entirely in my name. In this circumstance I was asked to put 25% up front.

You may not need a no imm visa to buy the car but you sure as hel_l need a non imm visa to get the residency certificate from immigration in Pattaya so in a roundabout fashion, you do need the non imm ! TIT !

Once again, I never have had any problem getting a certificate of address from any Immigration office, Non Immigrant Visa or not. Like I stated before, I have registered 2 cars in my name with no visa at all, just a 30 day entry stamp.

Edited by Maigo6

Hello to everyone on thai visa.This is my first time to post a question on thai visa so thank you in advance to the people who may reply to my question.

5 years ago i formed a thai LTD.CO to buy my house,my thai lawyer at that time said this was the best way for me to buy the property and it was also a legal way.I have a thai lawyer who's been taken care of the books for the last 5 years so everything regards the yearly tax returns is up to date.As i'm typing this post i realize i've more than one question.

I'm now thinking of applying for a retirement visa.My first question is if a person is the M.D of a thai LTD.CO can he apply for the retirement visa and still stay as the M.D of the LTD.CO.

2nd Question

Thanks again.

I bought a bike and had it in my name when i first came on a tourist visa,i assume a car is no diferent,. i beleive you need a letter from immigration but its a formality, dont ask a thai bg, she will tell you otherwise ! :o

Unless the rules have changed recently, you will need a non-immigrant visa of some sort, 30 day exempt stamp or tourist visa will not cut it. The reason is: Why would you need to own a car if you are here only 30 days (or 60)?

Also a residence certificate issued either by immigration or your embassy/consulate is required.

And a lot of patience, it can take all from 1 to 3 months to come true, so you will be on red plates for a while. This means you are not allowed to drive the car outside of your province, nor after dark (6pm). Again, unless the rules have changed recently.

i got asked that, i told them i intend coming here a lot and would like to buy rather than rent, ok sir no problem, unless its changed it can be done an a TV,

You need a Non Imm Visa to get a driving licence to drive it.

International Driving Permit will suffice, along with your current country Driving Licence.

I have a Tabien bahn,albeit yellow, Yes I can own a car outright, but can I get finance, No, Not without a Work Permit

Edited by Monkeypants

You may not need a no imm visa to buy the car but you sure as hel_l need a non imm visa to get the residency certificate from immigration in Pattaya so in a roundabout fashion, you do need the non imm ! TIT !

Once again, I never have had any problem getting a certificate of address from any Immigration office, Non Immigrant Visa or not. Like I stated before, I have registered 2 cars in my name with no visa at all, just a 30 day entry stamp.

As others have said, it seems to depend on where in Thailand you are. I wanted to register a pickup in my name 5 years ago in BKK, but could not, as at the time I only had a 30 day entry stamp. Maybe someone could set up a poll to see where the 'friendly' transport/immigration offices are??