The History Of Patong, The Beginning.

Master Chief

I'll start with my experiences, there's got to be some long timers who were there before my visits.

This isn't the start of Patong but my first visit was in the early to mid 80’s. The area where sunset strip is now was still rice paddy with little bamboo huts catering for backpackers. 40 Baht a night I think. The locals would go catching frogs in those paddies at night.

The power regularly went out and candles were ready for use wherever I went. To visit other beaches you basically had to go to Phuket town and then out to the beach. I would usually fly in. We (military) weren’t permitted land travel in those days due to the insurgents. In early 85, permission was granted for us to travel by land routes and I would use buses or drive my car.

I noticed Patong started rapidly expanding soon after Fergie of Prince Andrew fame spent a well publicized holiday there.

Here's a well-written blog I found a couple of years ago - written about Patong and the surrounding areas in the early 80s. Looks like it's been updated recently to include pictures.

Start here: http://www.thai-blogs.com/index.php?blog=2...p;tb=1&pb=1

WOW, DrDave, that's an amazing link; thanks a lot.

I have a lot of old photos (but have to 'dive' for them) of Patong Beach in the early days....PARADISE ..... :o and I also have some photos of the Submarine (built of concrete !)

:D Patong Beach in the old days.......sigh..... :D I also remember the first round bar and the round disco, built on the beach.....arghhhhhhhh :D

post-13995-1203863812_thumb.jpg (not my photo; I have different ones of the Sub on the beach)

LaoPo

When that submarine was moved from Bangla to the upper end of the beach it was so heavy it carved grooves in Bangla road that were there for years.

It sat on the beach for years until it was chipped away and got rid of. It was certainly a talking point for many years. The oldest people I know who are still in Patong are Georgio from Tropica Bungalows, the guy who owns the K Hotel and the French guy from Chez Bernards on the beach. All have been in Patong for decades.

The Patong beach hotel was the only real hotel there in the 70's. The Lucky Star Bar owned by a guy called Wim was probably one of the first bars opened.

There were about 9 restaurants on the beach named Number 1 to number 9. Number 4 was famous for a while. Some of the owners are still around. Jim and Andrew opened the Kangaroo bar in 1983, the same sign still hangs there and nothing has been changed in over 25 years except a new TV.

A Vietnam vet owned the Paradise bar and I remember he had no nose as it was shot off or something. It was a small world back in those days, everybody knew everybody. An American called Brian really kicked off a lot of the land leasing and bar buying. He arrived in about 1985 from Pattaya. I still see certain Europeans I saw back in the early 80's. Dunno who they are or their names.

Some of my mates were on Samui in 1972. Had to hitch a ride on a fishing boat and crash at a fishermans house. I spent time in Phangnga and Krabi in the early 80's and there was no power, no made roads, no beer except Singha and it had to be drunk with ice. It was a savage drop in those days. It has been greatly improved over the years.

When that submarine was moved from Bangla to the upper end of the beach it was so heavy it carved grooves in Bangla road that were there for years.

It sat on the beach for years until it was chipped away and got rid of. It was certainly a talking point for many years. The oldest people I know who are still in Patong are Georgio from Tropica Bungalows, the guy who owns the K Hotel and the French guy from Chez Bernards on the beach. All have been in Patong for decades.

The Patong beach hotel was the only real hotel there in the 70's. The Lucky Star Bar owned by a guy called Wim was probably one of the first bars opened.

There were about 9 restaurants on the beach named Number 1 to number 9. Number 4 was famous for a while. Some of the owners are still around. Jim and Andrew opened the Kangaroo bar in 1983, the same sign still hangs there and nothing has been changed in over 25 years except a new TV.

A Vietnam vet owned the Paradise bar and I remember he had no nose as it was shot off or something. It was a small world back in those days, everybody knew everybody. An American called Brian really kicked off a lot of the land leasing and bar buying. He arrived in about 1985 from Pattaya. I still see certain Europeans I saw back in the early 80's. Dunno who they are or their names.

Some of my mates were on Samui in 1972. Had to hitch a ride on a fishing boat and crash at a fishermans house. I spent time in Phangnga and Krabi in the early 80's and there was no power, no made roads, no beer except Singha and it had to be drunk with ice. It was a savage drop in those days. It has been greatly improved over the years.

Ah the days! nice post m8

Brian was actually a Canadian, he bought and sold bars weekly, made millions, lost it / drank it all and left because he had to. Every year the new foreigners came to town and rebought the bars, went broke and he bought them back and then resold them at huge profits.. It was a production line.

Phuket was rougher around the edges back then, but friendlier and you didnt fear for your life on the way home on your bike. The police were great, they would help you back onto your bike after you fell of drunk and give you a push :o (im not condoning drinking and drving :D ). Those were the best days of my life..

Even only 10 years ago, you didnt see a car for 20 minutes as no one could afford one.

The days of no Lotus, No Big C, no double lane roads and quiet beaches, great times! :D

I spent 12 years in Phuket and left due to the way of life, that it offers now. But hey, the world gets bigger and its not now the ideal quiet holiday town. It is now big business in all forms.

I live in Bangkok now and I love it. I would never return to Phuket to live as its now out of control and very violent.

I think that will pass in the long term, its just the transition period of catching up on infrastructure, which ncludes more dilligent police etc.

I wonder if you guys know 2 guys by the names of Otto and Jouke; they built one of the first bars themselves and also had the first Catamaran sailboat on Patong beach -for rent-. There was another guy from Amsterdam who's name I forgot and he was involved/partner with Fantasea divers....anybody ?

During my first visit I staid 2 nights at the Patong beach hotel and moved immediately to Patong Beach bungalows; had my own Palm tree in front with my motobike parked against it right on the beach...... :o

LaoPo

So Patong was firstly touristed by Vietnam veterans in the early 70th's? That is some 30 years ago!

My wife started to hang around the bars 20 years ago when she was just 18. The trips to or back from her home town in Buri Ram to Patong took around 40 hours in those days over Ranong by bus.

I knew Bill (Paradise Bar) and his partner Bruce quite well, also Wim of Lucky Star Bar and Jeroen and Maarten (Fantasea Divers). I also remember Brian of Raging Bull, Doolies etc. Still know the owners of the Waterfront Bar, the Expat and some of the other early bars in Patong. Brings back memories.

I still live in Phuket, but finally escaped Patong and rarely go back. Patong was already a tourist destination when I arrived in 86 so I don't really know how it all started, I just enjoyed it while it lasted.

• 5 months later...

Hi all. This is my first post on the Thai forum and I came across this forum googling for Doolies. I made my first trip to Patong in April of 88' and man do I have some stories. But before I start with the business of tall tales of love and adventure in Patong I would like to describe PB as I found it twenty years ago.

Bangla Road (the strip) was a semi paved, barely two lane piece of road that ran from the beach to the intersection where Hard Rock (formerly Doolies) now stands. Bangla rd. had the following notorious bars as I remember; Ned Kelly, The Expat, the Kangaroo, and a few others who's names escape me now. I think Thai beer was 25 or 30 baht. Development had barely started and PB still had a sleepy Thai fishing village feel about it. Indeed, the Thai commercial fishing boats still anchored by the score very close to the beach at night. There were only a few building on the beach road over three stories high. After Doolies, on the other side of the intersection, there was exactly nothing except rice paddies (I think they were rice paddies) and you would often see water buffalo with Thai boys on their back. There was one exception to low buildings and that was the first tall building in PB which is now the Royal Paradise. It was under construction at the time, and only about four or five stories were visible on the steel framework.

April 88' was hot as it gets. It was my first trip to Asia and nobody told me April/May were the hottest months of the year for that part of the world. I won't even talk about the humidity!

Bangla rd. had some interesting landmarks. For example there was a little white hut with a sign clearly marked in English "VD Clinic". When I went back a year or so later this hut was gone. Someone told me the Thai Tourist Board didn't like the message it conveyed..lol.

There was also a great restaurant on Bangla called the Number 9. It was not pricy and served fresh catch every day.

What else? The Banana Disco what a jumpin' place at night. There was also the long gone Paradise bar near the Holiday Inn.

I took a fan room at the Nordic Bungalows, also on Bangla road practically next door to Doolies Place. Since it was low season I got a special rate of 200 baht a night. Aircon would have cost me more and I would have never got used to the heat The Nordic was run by a Norwegian guy in his forties who had a Thai wife. He told me he couldn't go back to Norway because he was in trouble with the law. I didn't press him for details. Like most of these places on Bangla rd., the Nordic was bulldozed to make room for some fancy tourist trap. I think there's a new Nordic Bungalows somewhere else now.

I forgot to mention the old Hard Rock cafe. Not to be confused with the Rock Hard that replaced Doolies. It was also bulldozed along with a whole row of bars and a shopping center and KFC sits in it's place. The old Hard Rock was where everyone went to go from partially drunk to completely hammered. It wasn't very big (one room) and had a low ceiling. For some reason the custom was to hang your flower necklace on a nail before you left the place.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here. If anyone's interested I will write about Doolies and the owner, Brian H., the owner. I've got some real stories there. Just a bit of trivia about Doolies Place before I sign off. To attract patrons Brian kept a bear named Dooley in a cage on the premises..hence "Dooleys Place". He also had a few monkeys and some other animals in cages. Inside, -Dooley's or Doolies I can't remeber how he spelled it-there were some fantastic salt water aquariums. The Thai authorities eventually forced Brian to shut the zoo for sanitation reasons (good call there).

Anyhow, that's it for now. I hope this wasn't too long and worth reading.

Keymow

Patong beach 1980, pristine, a few bamboo bungalows, couple of bars, Fantasea divers just opened. Seafood so fresh at beach barbecue joints, sea gypsies raising their kids, trail bikes for rent to madly explore. Fantastic place and never to be again.

The first half of 1993 I was travelling around in southern Thailand, with the idea of starting a business somewhere. At one point somebody told me there was a French guy running an establishment called Queen Melinda in Patong, who knew a lot about hotel/restaurant/bar business in Thailand.

So I took the bus from Krabi to Phuket town, took a room in the On On Hotel, and the next day I was off to Patong Beach. Patong back then was just a few hundred meters of Beach Road, and maybe 7 or 8 sois leading inland. Continuously enquiring about Queen Melinda, I walked up and down the beach road and all the sois, and after about two hours I was definitely sure there was no place called Queen Melinda, nobody had heard of it.

Imagine how it would be now walking around looking for Jimmy's bar, Wolfgang's bierstube or Giovanni's pizzeria. You could spend two weeks walking around in Patong, and still not be sure if there was really no place bearing that name. It could be somewhere tucked away in a small soi behind a hotel, or wherever.

My general impression is that beach resorts grow in explosions. If you take the number of bars as a yardstick, for a long time there are only 2 bars, then suddenly there are 8, you blink your eye and then it has become 23, soon after which another growth spurt takes place which brings the number up to 60+.

Ah the days! nice post m8

Brian was actually a Canadian, he bought and sold bars weekly, made millions, lost it / drank it all and left because he had to. Every year the new foreigners came to town and rebought the bars, went broke and he bought them back and then resold them at huge profits.. It was a production line.

BULLSHITTTTTTTT; Brian was from Hawaii and i knew him in Pattaya in 85, he went to Phuket in 86 and had to leave cause he sold the place in kata he didn't fully own

He stared off with a few small bars in what is now soi Katoey then ended up leasing the land at the end of soi bangla where Rockhard it. then leased the land across the street where the VIP bar is, Back then it wa sa row of bars down to the expat hotel There was alos the Titanic disco back on the rice fields behind the Expat, Greta disco and opened form 2 am to6 am

What gets me the most is i lived on sai nam yen and in the rainy seaosn for fun we would watch the tuk tuks get stuck in the mud now its a city back there. Someone offered me 6 rai there for 1,000,000 baht and i laughed at him!!!

Phuket was rougher around the edges back then, but friendlier and you didnt fear for your life on the way home on your bike. The police were great, they would help you back onto your bike after you fell of drunk and give you a push :o (im not condoning drinking and drving :D ). Those were the best days of my life..

Even only 10 years ago, you didnt see a car for 20 minutes as no one could afford one.

BULLSHIT again

The days of no Lotus, No Big C, no double lane roads and quiet beaches, great times! :D

I spent 12 years in Phuket and left due to the way of life, that it offers now. But hey, the world gets bigger and its not now the ideal quiet holiday town. It is now big business in all forms.

I spent 24 years there and have relocated to Cambodia and only look back at the good times and oppoturnites missed cause we all thought it would never happen.

I live in Bangkok now and I love it. I would never return to Phuket to live as its now out of control and very violent.

I think that will pass in the long term, its just the transition period of catching up on infrastructure, which ncludes more dilligent police etc.

Edited by phuketrichard

You're right. Brian was from Hawaii. He first rented two bars on the left hand side of Soi Ko Yoi, at the front. He then made Dooley's Bar (now Rock-Hard) and served the islands first pizza from the Pizza Factory, a small area he sub-letted to a fellow American.

He then leased all the land down Soi Sunset where Taipan is to the old Extascy and made beer bars. He had a habit of selling 50% shares in his business to 10 people at a time. He was a rip-off artist supremo. That's why he had to leave.

He also built the first house on the hill (left side) opposite the temple in Patong, about half-way up before you get to the hair-pin bend.

Edited by Sir Burr

I knew Bill (Paradise Bar) and his partner Bruce quite well, also Wim of Lucky Star Bar and Jeroen and Maarten (Fantasea Divers). I also remember Brian of Raging Bull, Doolies etc. Still know the owners of the Waterfront Bar, the Expat and some of the other early bars in Patong. Brings back memories.

I still live in Phuket, but finally escaped Patong and rarely go back. Patong was already a tourist destination when I arrived in 86 so I don't really know how it all started, I just enjoyed it while it lasted.

I knew all these guys very well and they are some of the first to set up business in Patong. I arrived around end of 1974 beginning of 1975 in Patong. What a place then. I lived there for about 4 years were I ran the number 2 restaurant and later called it Billy Budds. Paradise doesn't even compare what Patong was in those days. I can't even talk about it to anyone because most of the new guys don't even believe it was like that. I see a few of the guys you mention above and have a couple beers together like the old days.

LiveSteam

I knew Brian very well as I met him virtually the day he arrived from Pattaya. He did live in Hawaii and rode around on a chopper with a large parrot on his shoulder. He also did this in Patong as well as having gibbons, bears and other assorted wild life. Others were English Jim from Jims bar, Swedish Eddie, Lyndon from West Beach Cafe and numerous Germans who had bars.

No aids, condoms or bar fines are some of the things I remember LOL. I recently went to a bar in the Tiger and some bloated Aussie owner was asking 500 baht just for bar fine!!

Bill from Paradise hangs out up in Bangkok all the time around Washington square

Bruce has his home down in Krabi and up country as well

Brian NEVER built a house. in Phuket, he only ever rented Yea he loved to sell 250% of the bars he owned. Really took John for a ride with Exactasy :-)

The only time he ever lost was when he got the land where the K Hotel is and his partenr took all control from him

Jeroen and Martin are stil around but do mostly all live aboards

Lots of others that started Patong still there but keep very low key now.

Its just not the same.

There was a Swiss guy called Bruno who ran the Offshore Bar on Bangla. Ladda from Ladda Bar on the corner of Beach Road and Bangla. Another American guy, not far from Bill and Bruce's Paradise Bar had a place called Sala Thai. Good place in the afternoons.

The Hard Rock Cafe, where everyone ended up in the wee hours was run by Mac. He still has a bar with the same name in Soi Sea Dragon. Still has the best music in Patong.

Also, a Canadian called Dennis who had Casuarina Bungalows and a German bloke, Roland who was an ex-male model who had Oasis Bungalows, not far from Paradise, but, set back a bit.

Then there was the Thai guy everyone knew as Cowboy who sold good hamburgers from a push-cart along Bangla.

Edited by Sir Burr

Being a whippersnapper and late arrival I cant comment on how it was back in those days..

But I always get curious, when guys say how great it was back when there were few tourists, no infrastructure, no supermarkets, etc etc etc. Cant that kind of environment be found simply by going to rural backwater places even now ?? I took a tour down the Trang coastline to Satun last year, it was beautiful, all those things that people say when talking like this.. I mean I couldnt live there but it was great to go and see it. I mean how much different is that now to how people describe the 'good old days' scenes ?? Or something like Cambos deserted coastline ?? Or the Islands off Cambo ?? Or even closer to home like Koh Sukorn or the Krabi Islands like Koh Jum ??

I am not asking this as a subtle dig or way to knock the comments, I genuinely wonder what it is that 'old Phuket' had pre development that places like that dont offer now ??

Hehe, I met Brian as some friends of mine in the states gave me his Exactasy card before I came to Asia in 93.  If anyone is looking for the guy last I heard he was in Siam Reap.

Los, you have a valid point in that the infrastructure in the old days isn't what it is now. You had to scour a long time to find what you were looking for, if you could find it at all.

You've got to take the good with the bad wherever you are and with that, I should roll this into the phuket is going to h___l thread.

A couple more places from the past. Gonzo, Maikler(sp) and Boogaloo.

And then there was a guy running a small beach bar next to the Patong beach bungalows bar. We were drinking with him one morning and he had to catch a flight. Later that day (85-86?) we heard he’d been arrested at Don Muang smuggling drugs.

My post was actually kind of replying to the "I can't even talk about it to anyone because most of the new guys don't even believe it was like that" but a few people popped posts in while I wrote it.. I mean it must have been special, because many people talk like that about it and the very fact it has boomed like it has, shows people kept coming back and setting up shop and lives here.

But I just tend to see thats there huge amounts of less developed coastline, but as great as they are to visit I wouldnt be able to live there.. I mean I guess by the ages of some of these posters who were coming to Thailand when I wasnt born, its likely they have raised a family (or two!!), surely they want their kids to go to a school and get a real education ??? Just last week I had to take my GF to the hospital, last year they pinned my shoulder after a bike wreck. I know development get be an eyesore and people bring pollution etc, but I just wonder what it was that made Patong back then so special, that undeveloped places now dont have ?? Was it the combo of girls, party, and undeveloped ?? Or rose tinted glasses ?? Or what ?? What is it that stops those that long for those good old days heading to Cambo coastline and reliving it ??

LivingLOS, for me it was cheap, exotic, lawless in a way, friendly and a place where you could let your hair down without a care in the world.

We were greeted by name as if we were long lost sons. If guys were short of cash the bars would loan them money fully knowing it would be returned in a few weeks. In return we helped bar owners out organising and delivering printed neoprene stubby coolers or other stuff they wanted.

You could leave your half finished bottles of Mekong and Sangsom behind the bar, they’d mark a line on the bottle and it was there waiting untouched for your return in a couple of weeks.

As for moving to Cambo, I’ve moved on in my life but still treasure those early days.

I was speaking to the owner of the K-Hotel last year and I asked him what happened to Brian as I was wondering why it took so long for him to be finally be chased off. He said Brian had one hand in his wallet at one stage as well.

He also owns Pla seafood at Surin Beach where he sends his guests from Patong. He has Nikita fishing and a number of other businesses so has done very well in Patong. I know his new wife Pla and a member of her family was shot dead in a murder suicide just this week.

>>He also owns Pla seafood at Surin Beach where he sends his guests from Patong

Are you talking about the owner of K hotel or Brian in the above? I happen to know both but not the saga, but from your post, it's not very clear. I would assume you're talking about Werner, but maybe Brian still has his hand in Phuket?

I came in via the USNS Spica back in early 1988 and we just dropped anchor not too far from the beach. The locals sent a small barge (with seats) out to our ship or you could take a jetski for a modest fee. We had a mixed crew of military personnel and civilian mariners and ended up anchored out for about a week. There wasn't much to it back then, the Banana disco was there right next to the Patpong Hotel (right next to the Banana) but almost directly behind it.

There were a couple of side streets with open bars and a few establishments (yes even the Hard Rock Cafe) which I believe was the newest establishment and pretty snazzy as well. There weren't very many hotels at that time but the area was still a work in progress and we had a blast there and the locals were so nice, outgoing and friendly to us which made our visit even more memorable.

Came back with an aircrew in 1991 landed at Patpong International and pulled a 48 hour power liberty and things hadn't changed all that much.

There's my 2 cents :o

I came in via the USNS Spica back in early 1988 and we just dropped anchor not too far from the beach. The locals sent a small barge (with seats) out to our ship or you could take a jetski for a modest fee. We had a mixed crew of military personnel and civilian mariners and ended up anchored out for about a week. There wasn't much to it back then, the Banana disco was there right next to the Patpong Hotel (right next to the Banana) but almost directly behind it.

There were a couple of side streets with open bars and a few establishments (yes even the Hard Rock Cafe) which I believe was the newest establishment and pretty snazzy as well. There weren't very many hotels at that time but the area was still a work in progress and we had a blast there and the locals were so nice, outgoing and friendly to us which made our visit even more memorable.

Came back with an aircrew in 1991 landed at Patpong International and pulled a 48 hour power liberty and things hadn't changed all that much.

There's my 2 cents :D

:D........Patpong Hotel ? :D You mean the Patong Beach Hotel, at that time the first and only hotel and the only outlet which had a telephone (radio phone actually) service.

We (friend and myself) staid there just 2 nights and moved into the Patong Beach Bungalows with 'private' palmtree and motobike parked in front right ON the beach....ooohhh the old times... :D

That was the time we met Jeroen and Maarten (fantasea divers) from Holland; Maarten just sold the first-ever 'coffee' shop in Amsterdam on Rusland (street)... :o

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Being a whippersnapper and late arrival I cant comment on how it was back in those days..

But I always get curious, when guys say how great it was back when there were few tourists, no infrastructure, no supermarkets, etc etc etc. Cant that kind of environment be found simply by going to rural backwater places even now ?? I took a tour down the Trang coastline to Satun last year, it was beautiful, all those things that people say when talking like this.. I mean I couldnt live there but it was great to go and see it. I mean how much different is that now to how people describe the 'good old days' scenes ?? Or something like Cambos deserted coastline ?? Or the Islands off Cambo ?? Or even closer to home like Koh Sukorn or the Krabi Islands like Koh Jum ??

I am not asking this as a subtle dig or way to knock the comments, I genuinely wonder what it is that 'old Phuket' had pre development that places like that dont offer now ??

You are absolutely right. You can find places still that are just as good as Patong was in those days. The backpackers find them first because they get off the beaten trail. Your suggestion about Satun is an example. I remember telling people in the 80’s that Kao Luk was just like Phuket/Patong in the 70’s. Keep looking but if you want it you have to go for it. Listen to what the travelers talk about and where they have been. Thailand and especially Cambodia’s Southern coast are great examples where the culture has not been polluted very much yet, but be quick because it won’t last long.

LiveSteam