Do You Kill Insects?

garro

one of the most difficult for me is ants...they seem to like getting into the hot water heater for masking coffee...or kettles too...perhaps they want the warmth in the winter....and then they get in the water and cups too

i have to throw the water out and try to rinse them out of the cups with cold water...but I know it is impossible to avoid killing some...we just try our best and avoid killing if we can

I think intention is the all important thing about killing.....we cannot walk slowly watching our every step to see if we are treading on anything...life would be impossible like that

• 1 month later...

We have to consider the bigger picture. Malaria is one of the biggest takers of human life in tropical regions. There are many other diseases that can be fatal to humans that are transmitted by mosquitoes.

For every mosquito we swat we could be sparing a human life so perhaps, in doing so, we are creating positive rather than negative karma.

Just a thought.

everytime you wash your sheets you kill an untold number of insects....

Very true. My philosophy is to do what I can, when I can and wherever I can to avoid killing things.

If you read about plants you start to think that killing them is not exactly the best thing to do either. They sure do have some goal-driven behavior which could make one think that there is a level of consciousness there too.

About ants: I spend a lot of time in the jungle and I always walk around or hop over lines of ants. I ask my clients to do the same and without exception, they do as requested.

Live and let live :o

I find it interesting to get both a Thai and Falang take on this.

I hate the little critters who crawl on me and bit me when I am trying to sleep. In Issan I asked for (and received) Baygon and used it liberally. The following night, mamma gave me a mosquito net - didn't have to use Baygon.

I asked my Thai SO if he killed insects. He replied: 'I kill mosquitos before they can bite me.'

I haven't had to deal with an ant 'problem.' Those small brown ones seem very well behaved.

Cockroaches seem to be a huge problem.

Peter