Thaksin To Come Home This Week

george

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, he returns. What is the impact going to be on the average Thai or foreigner?

I think there are too many variables to know what will happen on Thursday when Thaksin arrives. I'm going to call some of my friends in Thailand and ask what the word is on the street.

Personally, I would stay away from the airport on Thursday.

OK, he returns. What is the impact going to be on the average Thai or foreigner?

I think there are too many variables to know what will happen on Thursday when Thaksin arrives. I'm going to call some of my friends in Thailand and ask what the word is on the street.

Personally, I would stay away from the airport on Thursday.

He will arrive safely, be arrested and then will post bond just as his wife did.

My question didn't relate to his trip into Thailand on Thursday, but rather going forward. Really, it gets to the reason behind the coup and whether these issues will have any effect on the average Thai or foreigner. I doubt it.

Forget jail, the real question is whether the court will ask for his passport as a bail condition or not. I doubt he'll come back if there's a chance he won't be able to leave the country again, unless he intends to lead massive street protests.

Samak would prefer to do away with toxin and ruin the country on his own. (he is equally as evil, just not as clever)

remember that toxin insulted [edited].... a key person. thais never forget.

it will be a good show for sure.

that alledged insult is not to be talked about - perhaps people are talking about the protocol at greeting guests, that photo - those are the only things in the public eye; of course there is the well documented significant business relationship culminating in a person having to turn down the offer to be a director of a national asset sold illegally to the Singaporeans but that is hardly an insult to anyone just clear proof of the ties between lines of caretaker govt, significant other's family and private companies. Be that as it may you could be surprised how many people upcountry love Thaksin above ALL others - have a chat to taxi drivers, rural folk and you might be surprised how similar the mood of Thailand is to France pre revolution these days.

A lot of the shots at invisible hands and the privvy council has IMHO been a proxy test to see how to break the mystique, and using a fair bit of research, I suspect PPP/TRT have figured out right now they DO have a chance to move the roles of govt vs. other lines of authority back to pre 1950 again rather than the more active role we have seen of unelected government in the 60s - 90s. Scraps to the hoi poloi carries a lot of weight when you pretend to care. Apparently.

With a changing of the guard people making moves was inevitable. That's the real battle right now.

With regards to basic brain power, for TRT/PPP the solution is obvious.

Thaksin pays a largish fine and gets a suspended community service setence and 1 year ban - all 111 are reduced to 1 eyar ban. Samak introduces some new controls to reduce the levels of personal enrichment as per Sudarat Suriya, Thaksin.... PAD is happy, upcountry is happy, THaksin gets by for one more year watching Spurs beat his s7*tbox team.

He would then get reelected in a year, suitably punished, and could trough feed for 8 years to his heart's content. His plan is:

- get CAT/TOT

- get EGAT

- get some banks

- get Bangkok's transportation

- get the few hospitals he doesn't have already

Of course... we all know the maniac is not going to do this when he hasn't listened to his advisors since around 2004.

If he is seen not to be punished, there are some people in BKK that will NOT let it go. And some have some deep pockets. They will nip and bite enough times that life could be a bit rough politically for him. But as I said, he is a moron.

I like your posts :o Unlike a lot of contributors, you know your stuff, and what you say makes sense. You are indeed a knowledgable chap :D

Unfortunately you need to polish up on your football knowledge :D

No press conference on Thaksin return (BangkokPost.com) - Former deputy spokesman of Thai Rak Thai party Sansanee Nakpong dismissed reports Tuesday that she has been assigned by ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to announce his return.

An army of reporters, both Thai and international, were waiting at a hotel in Bangkok for a press conference, which was scheduled for noon. The press waited for more than half an hour, and still there was no appearance of Miss Sansanee.

Hotel staff later told the reporters that Miss Sansanee did not reserve a room to hold any press conference on Tuesday.

Miss Sansanee later came out to say that there will be no press conference on the return of Mr Thaksin, adding that she is not assigned to do the job.

She also said she does not know the exact date of his return.

She, however, accepted that she visited Mr Thaksin in China, and just returned from the trip last night. She said Mr Thaksin told her he prepares to return, but he himself will announce the return date.

Feb 26, 2008

I like your posts :o Unlike a lot of contributors, you know your stuff, and what you say makes sense. You are indeed a knowledgable chap :D

Unfortunately you need to polish up on your football knowledge :D

Prior to Sinatra always had a bit of a soft spot for City.

Since then...not so much.... but they have had a boomer of a season so far...might even hold it together....but i suspect the likes of my beloved Spurs are about to overrun them (hopefully) and besides which are guaranteed a spot to Europe next year now anyhow ;-)

If you met me in person, you might give up hope that I know what i am talking about though..... ;-0

Thanks, always nice to see some civility on the board and recognition, that, after all, I am pretty awesome :D

To accuse Toxin of this is to accuse him of breaking a very serious law so I ask you to bring some evidence that he did this....I don't think you will find any. The idea was created by journalistic and political spin...through selective interpretation of one of his more or less offhand comments....in my opinion.

Chownah

Spot on, Thaksin hardly break rules and abides clearly to the laws.

That he changes these laws for his own benefits, seems to be of no importance to you.

What was important to me in my previous post was that someone accused Toxin of Lesse Majeste or some similar law and I wanted to be sure that the poster making the accusation knew that it if thier allegations were true then it would consititute breaking a very serious law...with serious consequences...and further that I think that when someone makes such accusations in a public forum that they back them up with something....I have never seen any evidence that Toxin's behavior matched the accusations....from what I can see it is all based on self serving misinterpretation...but I am ready to see any evidence....my mind is open to new evidence.

Maybe you should read more carefully....you seem to have difficulty following along with the discussion...if you want to move the discussion to your personally preferred topic then best thing is to broach the topic on your own and not try to confuse people by getting your issue tacked on and mixed up with another discussion.

Chownah

Any other TV members willing to join the huge expat welcome committee for Khun Thaksin?

Please wear appropriate clothes.

Something like this?

post-21826-1204032582_thumb.jpg

Or you think this is better?

post-21826-1204032627_thumb.jpg

:o

post-21826-1204032769.jpg

Edited by AlexLah

Better dead than back if you ask me.

I'm not sure if I understand you here..... you think Toxin should be killed if he tries to enter the country?

Chownah

It's not like the decision is mine is it?

I can't guarantee you that not a single one of the tens of thousands of relatives of drug war victims wants to kill him. Same goes for the countless other enemies he's made over the years.

What goes around comes around.

The average Thai just wants to get on with tying to live, it is getting much harder for them.

What ever way you look at it, the average family is in big debt with no real light at the end of a very long tunnel, all they real care about is making ends meet.

Thaksin gives an element of faulse hope, like a drowning man will hold onto anything.

My worry is who has the guns wins, make no doubt about that. Every corupt deal has a gun somewhere along the line backing it.

Who do you think made the final agreement for the coup to happen at all thats the key to all this.

If he does come back on Thursday its going to be a nervous bumpy few months, it can go either way the end of this has been written, its just a matter of which version they end up using.

Expect the unexpected in the land of the unexpected.

I feel very sorry for the good people here.

I'm not sure if I understand you here..... you think Toxin should be killed if he tries to enter the country?

Chownah

I can't guarantee you that not a single one of the tens of thousands of relatives of drug war victims wants to kill him. Same goes for the countless other enemies he's made over the years.

I did not imply that it is your decision....what I asked and what I am asking again is that when you say "Better dead than back if you ask me." is it that you are saying that if I ask YOU if Toxin should come back to Thailand then you would respond that it would be better for him to killed than for him to come back to Thailand?....since that is what those words seem to mean....

Chownah

Maybe you should read more carefully....you seem to have difficulty following along with the discussion...if you want to move the discussion to your personally preferred topic then best thing is to broach the topic on your own and not try to confuse people by getting your issue tacked on and mixed up with another discussion.

Chownah

\

Dear Chownah,

Careful reading is easy. Having a different perspective on things is called elaborative understanding!

Opposite to tunnel vision, don't you think? :o

And confusion is very personal. What is confusing to you, might be clear to others, less psychologically defensive people!

So, instead of being recalcitrant, give your opinion on Thaksin's return. How do you really feel about it?

Edited by KireB

Thaksin is, without doubt, and extremely astute and successful businessman and has made unimaginable amounts of money from this country.

But why does he want to destroy Thailand in the bargain?

His legacy last time was the unlawful killing of thousands in Khrue See - Tak Bai - and the very dubious and highly unlawful killing of over two thousand 'drug suspects' in Thaksin's so-called 'war on drugs' which is unbelievably about to be resurrected under Chalerm.

And he sold off Shin which included the sale of ShinSat in the bargain - and the dangerous compromising of Thailand's military and intelligence sectors.

He sold out for over TWO BILLION DOLLARS much of which was acquired through his government's manipulation of state legislature and contracts.

Thaksin is a total crook who only cares about himself, family and his close associates and cronies.

He's bought off Isaan and elsewhere with his 'cheap', calculating, ruthless and cynical 'populist' policies which anyone with half a brain cell can see are self-serving in Thaksin's favour.

He - like Samak - doesn't give a dam_n about press freedom - nor the integrity of the executive and legislative branches which recent transfers are testament to.

In short, IMHO, Thaksin's hel_l bent, never more so than now, on being Thailand's 'legitimate saviour and illustrious leader' from now to eternity.

THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO PREVAIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING.........

My only hope is in the PAD.

Edited by bulmercke

Why is he coming home? Despite the glory behind Manchester City's 2 derby defeats of neighbours United, the Mancs are sliding slowly down the league table and rather than face protesting Citeh fans, the big fella wishes to make a swift return to Thailand and launch a new drugs war to raise some much needed cash for the club's summer spending spree.

In short, IMHO, Thaksin's hel_l bent, never more so than now, on being Thailand's 'legitimate saviour and illustrious leader' from now to eternity.

THE ONLY THING NECESSARY FOR EVIL TO PREVAIL IS FOR GOOD MEN TO DO NOTHING.........

My only hope is in the PAD.

Agreed. PAD are the only ones to stand up. Peacefully that is (hope it stays that way).

Thaksin's bullies attacked them and planned a massacre in order to install martial law.

And that's when the coup took place.

I just wonder why so many people seem to forgive these so-called democratic leaders for all their corruptive wrongdoings.

What's wrong with people (society) to accept that politicians are corrupt. I thought Thais were fighters, not sheep!

We can explain this to me, from cultural perspective?

Yep...hes on tomorrows morning flight from Blighty....

he phoned up wiffee tonight and swapped seats (she is a big no 1 supporter) so now she is going on Thursday from Heathrow instead..............

gotta check the Piccadilly line and see when the first tube leaves now....and now I will probabally be late for work... :o ....dear dear......honestly ..wid ye believe it..

Yep...hes on tomorrows morning flight from Blighty....

he phoned up wiffee tonight and swapped seats (she is a big no 1 supporter) so now she is going on Thursday from Heathrow instead..............

gotta check the Piccadilly line and see when the first tube leaves now....and now I will probabally be late for work... :D ....dear dear......honestly ..wid ye believe it..

Wid ye start makin sense man! :D

I cannae get a word ye utterin'. Is a "wiffee" samfing like toffee? (i.e. tastes sweet at first, but tends to get less suckable the longer yer keep it). :o

And how did he jump from HK to Blighty so fast? :D

Chownah

Yet more assasination fantasy.So mindless as well since the way to neutralise Thaksin is for him to face a fair trial and then be made irrelevant.

Chownah

\

Dear Chownah,

Careful reading is easy. Having a different perspective on things is called elaborative understanding!

Opposite to tunnel vision, don't you think? :o

And confusion is very personal. What is confusing to you, might be clear to others, less psychologically defensive people!

So, instead of being recalcitrant, give your opinion on Thaksin's return. How do you really feel about it?

The exchange of opinions was about whether Toxin insulted H.M. the King...which is a serious crime in Thailand.....I maintain that he did not and that the accusation is groundless and stems from self serving misinterpretation of Toxin's statements. I asked for the accuser to present some evidence to support the accusation.....so far no evidence has been presented to support the accusation.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

Well, given the strictures herein, such a discussion would be extremely difficult, however, there is a school of thought that says that after stating clearly 'That if one person whispered in his ear he would step down', and the drama of his belligerent appearance on TV stating he would never resign, after the 2006 'electoral fiasco', followed by the helicopter ride after which he 'handed over authority', only to return to the Premiership 'to ensure that the celebrations of HM's accession were correctly handled', that the die had been cast. By the by, for those who are knowledgeable of protocol there were some very strange incidents during the celebrations as well.

The irony here is that Thaksin invested considerable time and resources in using the Lèse majesté as and when he saw fit, in most cases, through proxies, naturally, to ensure criticism of the political be kept to a minimum. Indeed, this led to HM publicly advising, though some would have said rebuking him, in his birthday speech, over the number and breadth of such suits, which were promptly dropped.

Regards

Well, given the strictures herein, such a discussion would be extremely difficult, however, there is a school of thought that says that after stating clearly 'That if one person whispered in his ear he would step down', and the drama of his belligerent appearance on TV stating he would never resign, after the 2006 'electoral fiasco', followed by the helicopter ride after which he 'handed over authority', only to return to the Premiership 'to ensure that the celebrations of HM's accession were correctly handled', that the die had been cast. By the by, for those who are knowledgeable of protocol there were some very strange incidents during the celebrations as well.

The irony here is that Thaksin invested considerable time and resources in using the Lèse majesté as and when he saw fit, in most cases, through proxies, naturally, to ensure criticism of the political be kept to a minimum. Indeed, this led to HM publicly advising, though some would have said rebuking him, in his birthday speech, over the number and breadth of such suits, which were promptly dropped.

Regards

As you say, given forum strictures, a full discussion is not possible.But in answer to Chownah's specific question there is no evidence whatsoever and you certainly haven't added anything ("strange incidents!") of note.On a more general theme, lese majeste charges when flung around in Thai politics are almost always the resort of the dishonest and second rate, whether on Thaksin's part or his opponents.

So in your view the entire dance of the seven veils relating to resignation or lack of it does not constitute a basis for such a charge? Curiouser and curiouser, you type much, but really understand so little, it's extraordinary.

However, as you comment, reinforcing my point, the use of LM is primarily to derail or distort criticism of those who would 'wrap themselves in the flag'.

Regards

/edit typo//

Edited by A_Traveller