Recommended Attire

Harry Palmer

i have a few general questions regarding how one should dress in the LoS so that one does not look out of place or stand out like an american tourist (they're always the ones to get kidnapped or shot first you know :o )...

if one were to wear bermuda shorts, a t-shirt and black gym shoes into a bar, resturant or massage parlor, would that be frowned upon? is it better to wear sandals and long socks?

the other option is to wear khaki slacks and light t-shirt or polo shirt & a pith helmet; however, i hate the look of wearing gym shoes when dressed in slacks though...

during the evening hours do you recommend wearing dark slacks and dark t-shirt or dark collared shirts with black leather shoes or dark chuck talyor hi tops? is one likely to be refused entry at the nicer clubs without the collar or wearing the dark chuck t's?

i have a few general questions regarding how one should dress in the LoS so that one does not look out of place or stand out like an american tourist

You forgot the Oakley's, they're especially important for cool-look in the pick-up bars.

LOL :o

i have a few general questions regarding how one should dress in the LoS so that one does not look out of place or stand out like an american tourist (they're always the ones to get kidnapped or shot first you know :o )...

if one were to wear bermuda shorts, a t-shirt and black gym shoes into a bar, resturant or massage parlor, would that be frowned upon? is it better to wear sandals and long socks?

the other option is to wear khaki slacks and light t-shirt or polo shirt & a pith helmet; however, i hate the look of wearing gym shoes when dressed in slacks though...

during the evening hours do you recommend wearing dark slacks and dark t-shirt or dark collared shirts with black leather shoes or dark chuck talyor hi tops? is one likely to be refused entry at the nicer clubs without the collar or wearing the dark chuck t's?

Personally I never wear sandals. They smell like a som tam lady's salavia after being worn twice. And you may be accused of being a 'nasty german'.

Go for the black Oakley sneekers, but you must wear trainer socks that stop were the sneakers start.

Polo shirt, unstripey.

Jeans if you can handle the heat, or light weight pants that zip off at the knees.

You can use the zipped off lower leg parts as legwarmers when back in the UK.

Or you can put one around your arm and pretend you are Englands Captain next time you go to 5 a side, in dog poo astro turf where stars are born centre. :D

In thinking about this thread some more, If you don't want to look like an american target:

no jeans, dead giveaway.

no baggy shorts, the worst urban USA byproduct

tuck your shirt in, for some reason a lot of americans like to leave shirts untucked

no tennis shoes, the sandals with or without sox is very unamerican

no NBA,NFL, or MLB shirts, wear a shirt that says Vodafone

Love a man in khakis and a cotton shirt, can't go wrong with this combo....as for shoes, preferably nice leather sandals and absolutely the non strappy ones.

Shorts? A sure no if you're not in the close vicinity of a pool or beach....

Shopgurl is right My wife always made me wear long pants when we went out even though it was so @#$%^ HOT!!!!

I asked her to wear shorts in the hotel restaurant she said OK but i could tell she still didn't like it.. :o

For the love of all things all holy and decent: leave the Speedos at home.  Whether you're strolling down the beach or wandering around the city streets, nut-huggers are the most offensive attire known to man.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS ADVICE :o

Yes, for the sake of all that is holy and sacred, heed this request! There is no need for such emphasis, if you know what I mean???

Sandals+socks=what were you thinking? Nah it's not that bad but usually better if without. But if you're really a sock-dude, I recommend cool looking loafers.

For the love of all things all holy and decent: leave the Speedos at home.  Whether you're strolling down the beach or wandering around the city streets, nut-huggers are the most offensive attire known to man.

PLEASE FOLLOW THIS ADVICE :o

Yes, for the sake of all that is holy and sacred, heed this request! There is no need for such emphasis, if you know what I mean???

Sandals+socks=what were you thinking? Nah it's not that bad but usually better if without. But if you're really a sock-dude, I recommend cool looking loafers.

yeah no need for speedos in thailand, many years ago i saw some english girls tanning topless in pattaya I don't know if they got into trouble.

Shopgurl you have some good fashion sense :D

Ahhhhh! I just had a thought...

Imagine donning Speedo's while wearing sox & sandals.. ALL AT THE SAME TIME :D

Totster, maybe you can find a picture? Alternatively just take a camera down to Bondi / Coogee / Manly / Any Oz beach!

Lets call this Fashion crime 1A :o

I know wearing shorts is meant to be taboo except at the beach ect , but i have never have any problems wearing shorts. The knee length kind , not the stubby, bend over show your money slot kind. U also see alot of Thais wearing shorts for all occasions. I think the shorts thing is overhyped and becoming a thing of the past . Sandals are great, to keep the foot odour at bay just rinse them under the hose every few days :D

I agree with the speedoes(slip dicks, pointers) thing. But, we swim often at the local university's pool. The first day we joined they woudn't let me swim in board shorts, it was speedeos or no swim :o

Totster, maybe you can find a picture? Alternatively just take a camera down to Bondi / Coogee / Manly / Any Oz beach!

Now here's the thing.... I looked for said pictures, however after trawling through pictures of speedos (and the men in them !) I started to feel a little unwell... also the comments and looks from work colleagues were most unwelcome... ha ha

:D:o:D

totster :D

Sorry one has to be practical.

I agree ... I stick out in LoS no matter what I wear, though I do try to dress modestly.

(I do stay away from sandals due to a tendency to develop stinkfoot, phew!)

i have a few general questions regarding how one should dress in the LoS so that one does not look out of place or stand out like an american tourist (they're always the ones to get kidnapped or shot first you know  :o )...

Do all of the things that people above say not to do and you will not be suspected of being American.

When I'm not working, I wear whatever is practical and comfortable.

In Pattaya that usually means shorts / t-shirt / sandals during the day, sometimes long trousers, socks and Docksiders in the evening.

At work it is always long-sleeved shirt, long trousers, socks and rigger boots. Has been for thirty years. In the Middle East the long-sleeved shirt is compulsory in many construction sites, to prevent excessive sunburn.

Most men are not slaves to fashion and as such we survive in comfort with the same old gear year after year. But then some wives try to change us. Big mistake. :o

Now here's the thing.... I looked for said pictures, however after trawling through pictures of speedos (and the men in them !) I started to feel a little unwell... also the comments and looks from work colleagues were most unwelcome... ha ha

:D:o:D

totster :D

Common symptoms to excessive "speedo-surfing".